Other brands

BigNoj

“Welcome to the Hornby Forum. Ask for advice and expertise, as well as discuss and debate all the news from the world of model railways.”

As long as it’s Hornby.

Isn’t it about time this tired forum was expanded to discuss other brands, after all how many people have solely Hornby products on their layouts.

Maybe drop the HM/DC section?

If you read the forum rules, you will see that they have been updated and now say - "Discussion of non-Hornby Hobbies brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted"

There are plenty of threads where non Hornby brands are discussed.

You can discuss any brand you like on this forum. It is confined to model railways, which I think is fair enough as it is a model railway forum. But if you wish to talk about a brand other than Hornby that is fine as long as you are not actively promoting, (advertising) such brands. Where di you get get the idea you couldn't?

Why drop the HM | DC section which is a new brand when the forum has retained the Thomas and Friends and Live Steam sections which are expired brands. We also talk about Hornby-Dublo and Triang, etc which are also expired but don’t have their own section.

We are fairly slack when it comes to enforcing the other brands rule, take for example the recent tech discussion about the Dijikeis controller, which was close but in the end left in place as it wasn’t a sales pitch nor an active encouragement to buy it instead of an Elite which is out of stock anyhow.

An example of active or aggressive promotion would be posting that shop X is selling product Y for £s-cheap and they are a better product than the equivalent Hornby product which is rubbish. That maybe true but you cannot say it. You can say that product Y has more features than the equivalent Hornby product or is more reliable or easier to use or has a lifetime guarantee, etc as that is simply a comparison. The same could be argued for promoting certain retail sales outlets versus Hornby direct but that is another very grey area probably best left alone.

Thank you RDS - quite a few moons ago - I was with a few friends & was hungry so I quickly popped in to McDonald's to get something to eat, but they didn't - they went to Burger King instead & I wanted to stay with my Friends & they said that I can't do that, but I said & thought it would be alright - so I went in sat down with them & started to eat my McDonalds - but they spotted me & asked me to leave - opps 😄 & that's is how I know you REALLY can't 'eat a McDonalds inside a Burger King'!!! 😀🚂