My collection so far.

SD45elect2000

Hi Rod.

It's true that I have been focusing on US planes I do have hundreds of decals sets for other nations and in time I will have them all. I have one set that I want to do sooner rather then later, its the set from DP Casper on operation Pedestal, the relief of Malta. I think there are 20 aircraft in the set, British, Italian and German. I think it would be a neat story telling group, I'll need to buy some more Hurricanes though I only have 20 of them. I'll need some more Bf 109s and JU88s as well.

All in good time, I want to get another display case for more planes, each case can hold about 150 small planes, less large planes. In time I'll get them and fill them.

Currently I am building 15 planes, when these are complete, I'll find another batch to do.

These models were built many years ago, my skills have improved a bit since the 90s. forum_image_6311eea550cc9.png.211c56a7f5c1dadb3602d5d3d7abe5a5.pngforum_image_6311eea7aadd8.png.5f8ec92d77c9e841af41d2e2cf388744.pngforum_image_6311eea9da5e5.png.2eeb440a2f0d7c2a0f1ba616ad7f6af6.pngforum_image_6311eeac34005.png.d1046a1afda54fda7a77e0ed45e6f437.pngforum_image_6311eeae78197.png.53a17c01908b75c04858c7b8b56dbb25.pngforum_image_6311eeb0e9d20.png.d89e01566fe4fe79a4edb514ae5284fd.png

Hi Randall
I saw your comment about being inspired to make the Spitfires in your stash up. From what I have seen in your collection so far you make predominantly American aircraft or aircraft flown by American aircrew. So if I can be so bold as to suggest aircraft flown by the Eagle Squadrons in the RAF and then there is the range of Spitfires flown in stars and bars markings. Since I don’t know what marks of Spitfires you have this might not be suitable but I guess you have some that would fit these ideas. My guess is you would do a great job. Might require some research if you want to pin it down to particular pilots though.
Rod

Hi Rod,

I do have plans and decals to do the Eagle squadron/ 4th air group with the Spitfire, I have a lot of Thunderbolts and Mustangs from that group. I need to find some really good Mk5s. I am having difficulty getting the new tool Airfix one here for whatever reason.

What is the group suggestion on the next binge build? I have a lot of Prewar and WW2 kits so I can probably do a large group of something. What does the group want to see more of? My brother keeps suggesting Short Sunderlands..

Randall

Oh I wouldn’t binge build short Sunderland’s. Soon run out of space with that monster!

I agree, I only have 2 of them anyhow.

I did solve the mystery on the Airfix kit I asked about. Evidently the MK5 is an old kit but the MK Vb is the newer kit it appears. I don't think I have enough MK V Spitfires and the MK Vb is not easily available here or on that auction site. I'll find some, probably in the UK.

forum_image_63135d088ded6.png.f42b2ec5e77c47b88709533d39b8afb3.png

Another Thunderbolt.

I have many more photos, but they are just different colors on the same plane. My spreadsheet is complete, so You have seen all of the aircraft types I have. My next task is to do the same style spreadsheet for the model trains. That is a collection of more than 4000 pieces. I actually started the spreadsheets to track the trains and not the aircraft. I didn't want to buy a model train I already had so I needed to organize. The aircraft collection grew to the point that I could no longer rely on memory. After buying duplicate kits that I didn't want I had to do something.

So, there you have it, my collection so far. I am still building, and those finished models will be in the recently completed thread.

Randall

Hi Randall
Not sure if you can order from the Hannants website or not. I am guessing you are not in UK and might be across the water. So costs might be off putting but they have the new AIRFIX 1/72nd Spitfire VC and other makers versions of the Mk V are available there too.
Good luck
Rod

Thanks Rod,

I might use Hannants to get the MK V planes. I have used them before with no issue.

There are many Spitfire builders on this forum, which ones are the best? Is the Revell kit worthwhile? Is the newest Airfix kit the best?

For info I currently live in Massachusetts USA.

I like this forum because its membership is primarily English, Ratch for example has fantastic information about the US groups stationed on English bases and I get a lot from his posts. The others on here provide valuable info on equipment used during the war yourself included. I enjoy the different takes on history here.

I have purchased several books suggested by this group that I may not have enjoyed if the group was primarily American.

So cheers my British friends !

Randall

So cheers my English friends !

Hey Randall
keep calling me English we end our friendship!🥴
It is the UK it comprises England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. We are four nations. So say British friends but please don’t make us all English!
As it happens in my case I am mixed race, product of Second World War but I see myself as Scottish as I was born in that country!
Being referred to as English is a raw sore. Although I am not for Independence.
😂😇🤪😜🤣
Rod

Hi Rod,

I changed it. I feel it would be like calling me a Democrat.

Randall

Hi Randall
More important matters what are your thoughts about model Spitfire makers? I think what I recommended are best companies. The reviews for Kovozavody Prostejov are excellent. They do such a wide range of marks of the Spitfire. I have my fingers crossed they do the griffon engined versions next year. I think they are brilliant. Airfix do fewer versions but theirs are brilliant too.
Rod

I'm starting to pick them up, the first set I'm doing are the Eagle squadron Mk V. I do have more than a dozen Airfix Mk 1 so next will be Battle of Britain. I have 20 or so Hurricanes to go with them.

Randall

Rod might like this. Here are 17 models assembled and ready to be masked for painting.

First step is to spray the interior green on the canopies then Mr. surfacer primer, then another quick sanding, Then the grey bottoms then the green uppers. Next will be any additional colors like cowl bands, anti-glare panels. Then an acrylic gloss coat, decals, flat finish and unmasking then final assembly, landing gear and other stuff that can get broken off. It will actually go pretty fast at this point.

forum_image_63174c6649e4c.png.6dd2d25d6f1cdc819c41f0f5a7a42fd7.pngRandall

• 4 weeks later...