Moving house - with trains!

ellocoloco

Just going through the traumatic experience of moving house and having to gather all my model railway equipment together for relocation. I suppose I am fortunate that I don't have a layout to dismantle but at my next place I should be able to actually lay some track.

forum_image_6357f38b775c5.thumb.png.35f6ed6e0c1ab8ed1ebaf6988613c95b.png

The worst bit is that Vicky can now see how much space has actually been taken up with my hobby and once again reminded me I don't need anything else. We'll see..............

This is probably the first hobby I’ve been involved in where people religiously keep every single box for everything. It’s fantastic.

My mountain of boxes is tiny compared to yours, but every time I look at it I think, that’s a lot of money.

Good luck with the move and do share your progress if you get a new layout going.

Thanks guys.

I reckon there are about 100 locos/multiple units from a large number of manufacturers inc the one Z scale Mikado in the set! If I think of it as two locos and four pieces of rolling stock a year it doesn't sound too bad.

Worst bit is though, there are a few more boxes in my parents attic that never moved out with me.....I really can't remember what's there but as I really need them to downsize, I'll have to collect them as well. Packing up the trains wasn't that bad. Today I started on the garage........and have lost the will to live. So many inherited tools that I've found no use for but can't throw away, and two 90mm AT shell cases!

Ah well, there you have it. My workshop is 25x15, full joiners shop, plus all machinery, single and 3 phase. I can completely understand you losing the Will to live. I would know not, where to start. We had the biggest artic I have seen, to move us here, and we have grown since then. Every winter I go through, sort and junk, but sentimentally, I can’t face junking Dads tools.. you have my sympathy.

Hiya 🚂

I'm NOT moving but whilst we are talk about boxes - I'd thought I'd share mine...

forum_image_6358739b7ff17.thumb.png.0a381d02f13079ce81048e5f8f979c1a.png

These are a few of my Train Set & Loco & Rolling Stock boxes.

forum_image_6358739e2adac.thumb.png.b4bb0e0afe8fd8e8088d085afef92562.png

forum_image_635873a1aeb7a.thumb.png.1ba1263622d4adb1e5d303df74366591.png

These are more boxes in my Midland Monsal Model Railway (The Triple M. R. for short) Room 🙂🚂

I keep every box - I even repair them if damaged. I have bought boxes off of ebay - some loco's came in the "draw" boxes which made up some sets - I don't like those, so the loco has to be reboxed - in the correct box with the correct insert and the box has to be in pristine condition - call me fussygrinning

Best of luck with the house move - hopefully not something I will ever have to do!

forum_image_6358fb9529cf1.thumb.png.636b26d2018675354e3ded46d2303f09.png

Best of luck with the move, ellocoloco. I do not envy you. I have more locos and rolling stock than is good for anyone but I keep everything in banana boxes from the local supermarket. If I have to move, it will just be a question of lugging the boxes into a van. Clearing out the workshop, however, would be a nightmare. It goes against the grain to say so but think I should junk the stuff I have not used in years and rationalise what is left.

The problem is, a lot of that stuff, comes in, when a hinge breaks, or you need to touch up with some old paint. I have 4 Routers ( don’t ask). But I have now been to local tip, 8 times in last 6 months, but my lady wife, can’t see any difference. And when you go to get that spare hinge, taint there.

I went to look at a complete collection someone was selling in Cyprus, many years ago, all manner of things including boxes and boxes of new locos, train sets and controllers, associated tools and kits, as well as several modules comprising his layout. The collection completely filled an 8’ x 10’ shed and would have needed a big Transit van to have shifted it.

Unfortunately upon advice of my local UK model shop about likely resale values I couldn’t offer him a realistic price so the deal never happened. It is surprising though how much space a hobby will occupy in the removals van.

@Yelrow

Yes, downsizing. Plan is to working for another 10 years and then move to Spain but I don't know how that will work out after Brexit. My wife is Spanish so hopefully should be ok! The new house has an attic which once floored should provide both space for junk and to lay some track.

Just spent the morning at my Dad's house clearing his garage to provide space for my stuff while we move. I fully understand about the four routers. I think we've enough to restock a B&Q.

(Only eight trips to the skip - you're not even trying!!! laughing)

@Threelink.

'I should junk the stuff I have not used in years and rationalise what is left.' Agree with that but still find it hard. The stuff I still have in my parents attic is an assortment of old Triang Hornby platforms, buildings and wagons that mostly came from cousins 40 odd years ago. They all had train sets but I am the only one who stuck with it. Once I move I will probably try and join a model railway club and see if anyone wants it before I do anything rash.

@BB All my stuff since the age of about 15 is still in its original box but I have seriously considered on a number of occasions re-boxing them to save space. So many new items come in 'oversized' boxes which I find quite frustrating. I don't think the manufacturers consider storage when they think of 'impressive' packaging. After all, its in their interest that we buy as many models as possible and they've got to go somewhere.

@ellocoloco

Wash out your mouth with soap and water! I was referring to rationalisation ot the workshop contents not precious Triang items. Such cannot be discarded, ever. The junk in my workshop is another matter, though I will hang on to the kit of parts for an 1886 LNWR 3rd class lavatory carriage (12 inches to the foot), which I might one day get round to rebuilding...

Best wishes,

threelink

my 8 trips, were this year. Start every winter, the same way, but really make little impression. Got more serious this year. Have reduced workshop machines, a tad, and have a change the car fund now, just in case. We moved to burgandy, 21 years ago, never regretted it. trouble is, with so much space, you tend to fill it.

speaking of collections my local hobby shop is going to pick up one. The owner died recently and his family are selling it on consignment through the hobby shop.

I was speaking to the shop owner and he said the collection is gigantic. Valued at around USD $2,000,000 with 1,000 locomotives and at least 10,000 passenger and freight cars. I am hoping with a collection that massive there will be a few items of British OO.