Website login behaviour - A question for the moderators

I should imagine that the login process has no memory of your current activity and that its sub routine simply puts you at a default location of the shop main page.

Hornby IT has stated that some of their site wide ‘improvements ‘ had an adverse effect on the forum, e.g. the lost breadcrumbs that took away the forum navigation links, since restored.

If the scenario you describe was the default previously then that has obviously changed, but I cannot recall if it was or wasn’t.

Posted for moderator information.

I just logged in to make this reply. My browser 'Firefox for Android' stayed firmly on the same page. This issue (very similar) was also raised earlier this week in the "Website Feedback" forum, which is where this Q should ideally have been placed to keep them all together in a more appropriate section.

P.S. I regularly browse the forum without logging in. Then log in to make a reply. As a relatively infrequent poster I don't use the 'auto login feature'. My experience is consistently as described above, that is to say, staying on the same forum page when logging in. Both Android as well as Windows PC and using Firefox in both cases.

@TC

Given that and P-H comment and in order to help Hornby IT (to which this thread has been flagged), can you tell which browser and which platform you are using when this happens.

TC can move it using the Edit facility in the three dots context menu but it will bust the link I sent to IT.

Thanks

Just to add to my previous reply. My login experience was no different when the navigation links went walkabout. As I suggested in the other 'Website Feedback' thread I contributed to, I find these website page mis-routing issues are more often than not a local browser cache problem and fixed by clearing the browser stored data files.

Changing the title to Website Login Behaviour and moving it to Forum and Website feedback where it will be adjacent to the two recent similar threads would be good. Tough about your link Rob.

Very much my personal view but also useful for subsequent forum searches:

• Unhelpful thread titles - I have a Question.
  • Helpful thread titles - My question is … (then leave out the first 3 words)

Put it another way - don’t make what you want to ask or discuss a secret until the topic is opened, tell us up front in the title.

Normal transmission resuming and apologies for sounding critical - yep, forum navigation has changed for me too. For ages I’ve had to log in before it would let me anywhere near. Now, sometimes I don’t. Safari on iOS or Edge on W10. So it’s not the OS or browser most likely, seems to be a deliberate or inadvertent forum feature.

Mod note - post moved and title amended. Link to IT updated.

It was me that raised the issue previously and in my last post I reported that, after happening for a couple of days, the issue seemed to go away. However, it returned a couple of days ago. Now that it has been reported by another and I have cleared my browser's cache, I am reasonably confident that it is not related to browser settings on individual PCs.

I use Chrome in Win 10.

I have two iPads at different revisions both on Safari and two PCs both should be on the same revision of Edge-win10.

I have had problems with how my windows Edge browser responds to clicking menu selections, one PC works from a single click, and the other requires a double click, etc. I fiddled with the settings in Edge-win10 and got a single click to work then Windoze decided to revert these after an update. Why only one PC and not the other.

My old iPad struggles to get any moderator functions to work, but a newer iPad is fine although it can be slow to react.

I trust IT can work out which end of the chain the problem is at, theirs or ours.

• 3 months later...

Another issue to do with the login if I may add into this is that when I initially registered I could login and remain logged in, however, recently something has changed.

I am not sure if it might be a login issue with the website or that the operating system on my phone has had at least 2 software updates since it was purchased but now I do not remain logged in at all.

The device I use is a Samsung A53 with 5G capability but I don't know where or what the problem is although this started after my device had its 1st software update so whether that caused the problem or not I have no idea, technology is not my strong point.

If anybody has any suggestions regarding this I would be grateful.

I should also mention that I am not using the back button when I leave the site and I have also tried leaving it open in a seperate tab but still get automatically signed out after a set time.

Check your browser settings as they may be closing all sites and purging the cache as you leave the browser. Some of the advanced settings can be quite devious.

I am logged in on two iPad at once and stay logged in for days or until I switch to a PC which seems to trip me out.

In general, having clicked Remember Me on my iPad, I stay logged in for weeks. However, there have been two occasions where I’ve found myself logged out on returning and I cannot then click Remember me again for a few days, meaning I have to log in on all returns.

Then often a new login takes me to my account, not the shop, and away from the forum.

• 1 month later...

I had posted a separate thread about not being able to access my account so I thought I'd try logging off then back on again with my phone. now I'm locked out from my mobile with this message;

A problem repeatedly occurred on "https://uk.hornby.com/community/account"

Although I can still access the website on my laptop I still can't access my account.

I'm going to try emailing them

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...