Club Discounts

I think that was the obvious answer - thanks for the clarification. When you order an item from Hornby, you receive an email confirming the order and price. If at the time the order was made you were a "Club Member" that email would show the price less the 10% Club Discount. As has already been said "the price is the price at the time of order" not when it is dispatched. So if your membership lapsed before delivery, your order would still be in place with the original price quoted.

With the current delays with many products worldwide, it is worth getting your order in as soon as a new model is announced - Hornby have always honoured the price as at the time of order. By the time the item arrives the price could be considerably more than the original announcement price.

• 5 months later...

As I understand it, the current situation is that the the reward points are instead of the 10% discount on the price. The exception to that is if you were already a member at the time of the change, in which case you get the 10% discount and the reward points until your membership is renewed.

Just to clarify that, with the Hornby Collector Club, members currently get 15% reward points rather than the 10% that are received without club membership. So, ignoring any other benefits, you need to spend at least £600 to make membership cost effective (£30 is 5% of £600).

With the TT Club, the current offer for new members is 20% points, so the club becomes worthwhile after £300 spend.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get originally 10% discount without being a Club Member?

I think the value of being a Club Member all depends how you use your membership.

In 2021 I ordered a loco and the price then was £149.99 - it should arrive this summer, with the cheapest version now being £217.99 - so a £68.00 saving.

In 2022 I bought the Spray Compressor, through the Club, at a price of £98.99 - it is now £109.99, but at the time the only other option was ebay - for the same item, which is currently listed for £149.99. So a saving of £51.00.

I think that being a Club member saved me £119.00 on two items - so Club Membership, in my eyes, is worth having.

I’m not sure if you got anything until rewards was launched but others will no doubt confirm.

There are TT120 models in Phase 3 & 4 that I’m after and which I don’t think will even be available for pre-order until 2024. They’ll easily cover £300. Unless Hornby weaken the TT Club below the current offer when renewal comes, I’ll stick with it. If it goes down to the level of the main club, without other benefits, then I’ll not renew.

Am not sure what’s due this year in 00, but they may need to do some sort of new offer in TT120 to generate sales. With little new now due in TT this year, they may find revenue takes a real dip.

The current 00 club offer seems quite poor value in comparison. A 5% rebate on future purchases compared to a 10% discount previously (you now earn 10% reward points whether a member or not). You have to spend £600 to get your money’s worth; unless you want a club model it doesn’t seem worthwhile.

I have waited for some new TT120 coaches to arrive in stock, then to my dismay, found Hornby had suddenly increased the prices by nearly 15% already. I am also having a problem using the Hobby Rewards at the checkouts. There is mention in the H.R. Ts & Cs of not being able to redeem points if they are also offered with the items purchased ? ( I have contacted Hornby about all this ) most items for sale on the website offer H.R. points !. Taking the point raised by 'Moccasin', these issues do not encourage renewal of membership, and I am disappointed with the sudden price increases.

You can use rewards points as long as they've been earned and are in your account and showing as available (essentially the points total you see at the top right in the red bar when you log in - these usually appear 3 weeks after an order has been received).

I think the Ts&Cs point you refer to is saying that you can't spend points that you will earn on an order on that same order - mainly because they don't get confirmed for three weeks as mentioned above. You can only spend available points.

I just tried now and it was only when I got to the payment page that I was asked to use points towards my purchase (you can't use reward points against shipping).

If that doesn't happen for you, I suggest you give Customer Care a call.

• 6 months later...

I made a pre-order before my membership renewal date. I received 10% discount on that order but since my renewal date, I've gone to make another pre-order and the 10% doesn't seem to have been applied. Have they quietly discontinued the discount?

If you were a member at the time the 10% discount was replaced with Reward Points, then the discount continued along with the Reward Points, so you benefited from both schemes. However, when you renewed your membership again, the 10% discount would stop, which has happened in your case.

I had a feeling that was the case. It was good while it lasted!

I was lucky enough to have enough points to pay for my membership this year and pay for most of my pre-orders. Fortunately, there wasn't much I wanted this year.