LMR range as individual items

LTSR_NSE

Now that Hornby have announced they will produce a second class coach (in yet another Rocket train pack) there will be another coach type that owners of existing packs will want to purchase separately.

I realise that only producing these items in train packs encourages those who can afford to, to spend more on the Rocket locomotives. But surely there would be more total sales of the L&MR range if all the wagons/coaches were available individually?

Hornby (and other manufacturers) have previously stated that EMUs & DMUs are far less popular because of the expense of having to be purchased together as a pack.

Virtually all of the Era 2+ locomotives & rolling stock are available as individual items - are there really so few pioneer enthusiasts that they cannot be treated similarly?

I've cross referenced all the 1st class carriages by name, and provide the appropriate Hornby product reference.

Booth Early 1st Class R30090

Despatch R346, R621, R796, R3809

Experience R621, R796, R3809, R30232

Globe R3810, R40357

Huskisson R40371, R30090

Renown R3810

Royal Mail R3956

Times R621, R796, R3809, R40372

Traveller R30232, R30090

Treasurer R3956

Wellington R3810, R40357

I would appreciate being notified of any errors.

EDIT: 2 "L" s in Traveller

The previous message details the Hornby selection 1st class carriages.

This post will provide information regarding actual known LMR 1st class carriages. If the carriage is illustrated in a period illustration or mentioned in writing, it becomes part of this list.

Adelaide (Queen)

Ariel

Aurora

Auxilium

Booth Early 1st Class*

Chinese Liverpool**

Clarence

Conservative

Croxteth

Delight

Despatch

Duchess of Kent

Earl of Wilton

Experience

Fair Trader

Fly

Globe

Greyhound

Harlequin

Huskisson

Lacey & Allen Carriage***

Lark

London

Lord Derby

Marquis of Stafford

Melbourne

Reformer

Royal Mail****

Sir Robert Peel

Sovereign

Stanley

Sylph

Times

Traveller

Treasurer

Velocipede

Victory

Wellington

William (King/Royal)

Zephyra

÷÷÷÷÷

Which name isn't on this list?

Renown R3810

Acceptable, as no preserved list exists. Renown could have existed, so it is fine to have a bit of artistic license

÷÷÷÷÷

*1st class on the basis that sprung buffers were present in imagery and per Booth, sprung buffers only present on first class

**1st class based on color of carriage, glazed windows and shown coupled to nominal first class in Ackerman prints

***This is the very strange horse carriage body mounted to a railway undercarriage, as shown by Booth. Mr. Anthony Dawson states that this is a "4 inside" carriage, just as Royal Mail was 4 inside. The premium for 4 inside, vs 6 inside seating was 1 shilling.

****4 inside

@bee all of the detail regarding the L&MR rolling stock you are providing to various threads is fascinating!

I’m unsure why you believe the carriage (which you have named ‘Lacey & Allen’) is so “strange”? It is simply a coach-built body on a railway undercarriage. That description exactly applies to Queen Adelaide’s carriage and the initial L&MR first class carriages too.

Are you referring to the fact that the body appears to be ill-matched with the undercarriage compared with the others? Or have I misunderstood your point?

@LT&SR_NSE

The nominal 1st class carriage seats 6 inside each compartment in two facing rows. There are 3 compartments. They all look about like this

forum_image_63cc51dd7ff1e.png.0c0f4dd87f1038fae7c0ac47729e744d.png

Call it the standard design. This seating arrangement was termed "six inside". The passengers show the seating arrangement.

Then we come to the outliers.

The LMR did not have many of the Royal Mail carriages. Not only was the train a pure express, the seating was "four inside". Given the carriages were of relatively the same width, the difference can be compared to business vs first class seating on airlines.

Re: Lacey & Allen (L&A) While researching the actual carriage list, I found that Mr. Anthony Dawson had covered L&A in his recent book. L&A were the carriage makers who created it, and Henry Booth had it illustrated for his book, published in 1830. Mr. Dawson states 4 inside. I'm not so certain, it could be 6 inside. Ackermann's period prints include a pictorial record of that carriage, but it is very much derivative of Booth. There are no other images I am aware of.

L&A must have seemed very familiar to the upper crust in Liverpool and Manchester. It is a horse carriage after all. The standard carriage was the strange one!! Yet 200 years on, with literally dozens of images to examine, the strange one is the L&A.

Given Hornby's recent history, the L&A will appear, but only in a train pack!

I'm happy you are enjoying the details. This is a significant part of my modeling experience and am simply sharing!

Bee

I would hasten to add:

The 1st class carriage Adelaide noted above was of the standard design. 6 inside. Yellow.

In Hornby R40372, it is Queen Adelaide's personal carriage. Not to be confused with the standard 1st class carriage run on the LMR.

May I say that R40372 was in my basket within 10 minutes after range launch. That was the easiest pick ever!! The price for that one carriage, if you do the maths, is much higher than any of the others. I hope that portends a match to Her Majesty's actual carriage in the museum, and a highly detailed one at that.

I do not know that Queen Adelaide's personal carriage ever traveled on the LMR, but it is a period carriage and it's my layout!!

Bee

Edit: The LMR Queen Adelaide eponymous carriage was NOT standard!! Please read about it here:

LMR Queen Adelaide carriage; Not to be confused with Her Majesty's Saloon :: Hornby Hobbies

Whilst my preference is for individual items, I would willingly purchase the following as two coach packs (no locomotive) if that is the only viable way for Hornby to produce them:

• First Class Specials pack - ‘Lacey & Allen’, ‘Chinese Liverpool’, Royal Mail & Queen Adelaide’s carriage

• Second Class pack - 3x ‘Booth design’ (as in R30090)

(I understand @Bee’s reasoning for believing this design to be closer to First Class - however considering the other second class designs depicted appear to offer minimal structural roof support - I wonder if this is simply a OO scale compromise?)

• 11 months later...