Paper Catalogues - the end ?

I have learned today that the Roco HO catalogue for 2024 is NOT to be made available in paper form only via Internet and presumably only in German. Strangely enough they are issuing a paper catalogue for their TT range purchased from Kuehn. Is this the end of paper catalogues?????

You must be in the minority otherwise model train makers would have discontinued the practice several years ago. Roco still do seem to be

the exception rather than the rule - ideally there should be both forms

of information allowing freedom of choice particularly when makers

only place a catalogue in their native language on the internet

@Bill - considering the Internet is steadily replacing all forms of physical media in popularity, I would strongly imagine that the viability of printed catalogues decreases every year.

Reduction in choice is obviously regrettable, since not everyone uses the Internet. However no company can afford to endlessly make an item for a decreasing market, without proportionally raising the price to compensate.

Fortunately catalogues will be included in marketing/advertising budgets, so they will not be subject to the same viability constraints as main products. However if any company were to attempt to charge even a cost price for them, customers would be horrified to discover how much they were asked to pay!

Be careful assuming too much regarding minorities & majorities - an extreme example: (not intended as speculation about reality)

If only 10% of total customers purchase/read the catalogue, but they account for over 50% of sales revenue - then producing catalogue at a loss would still be viable!

I used to be an avid collector of catalogues and still have a decent amount of Roco and others in the attic. I also have plenty of Roco's new items and International Release brochures. That was up until around 2017.

After the skinny offering that was the Electrotren 2017 catalogue and disaster that was the combined 2017/18 catalogue that followed, I completely lost interest. I don't have any of the combined Hornby Int'l catalogues since in paper form though I have plenty of .pdf copies saved.

I do like a (paper) catalogue and my old Roco ones are still a decent read, but time moves on.

Hear hear ellocoloco a man after my own heart I have cabinets full of old catalogues from defunct makes not easy to find on the net from my time

as the Trades Officer of a wellknown continental interest society.

• 2 weeks later...

I also enjoy paper catalogues but must admit the old ones do it for me. I have quite a lot of Jouef and Playcraft ones from the 1950s to the 80s, the newer ones don’t interest me. I have some other continental range ones but also old British such as Farish and British Trix. Great pick-ups on a gloomy day!

Your right, Rana. I do enjoy a flick through an old catalogue and wish I'd kept some of the ones I had when younger. I picked up most Roco catalogues over a ten year period but its only Electrotren that I have actually gone back and searched out the ones I was missing - to 2000. Why 2000? That was when Electrotren announced the type 269 which was produced to the standard of other European manufacturers at the time and Spanish rtr models took a huge step forward. Hornby bought Electrotren in 2004 but nothing appears of the catalogues until 2007. Things seemed to peak around 2011/12 and come 2017 I was really concerned about the future of all Hornby's International brands. Things seem to have stabilised since then, but still no sign of the MZA Pacific announced in 2012!

forum_image_65c219dfb699e.thumb.png.445b117c0056ea86ecddf12ab7f042f2.png

Just for you Rana. My wife picked up this old Lima Spanish Language catalogue in a s/h bookshop a few years back. A Big Boy on the opposite page to a HO (I think) King Class.

forum_image_65c219e6e2707.thumb.png.b2ba66ddfa3a7e774f77055b5f1d773a.png

forum_image_65c219f0ac102.thumb.png.f16877fdfa72aac4d3d5eca773a1fcf9.png

But of course Roco have some of the best catalogues out there!

forum_image_65c219f77c604.thumb.png.f224a5368c64cb2c0e421aa0523baf40.png

I think I can beat you to it ellocoloco - my Electrotren catalogues go back to their days of HO tinplate and Roco to their very first Roco-Peetzy monochrome item.

Even Lima I have since their early days but must say have never seen one of their Spanish catalogues although I have in many other languages. Trouble is they

are taking over my railway room (garage) but at least I know where to find them !!!!

Great catalogues! The Lima King, Deltic and Crab were all originally supposed to be HO alongside the only one that got released which was the class 33. Some parts remained at the smaller scale presumably because they had already gone into production such as the Deltic bogies and the crab body. I believe the King used a chassis from a German loco with just the rods/cylinders and front bogie as new parts with the body ‘adapted’ to fit. The GWR and LNER 0-6-0 tanks used an existing continental chassis but I think the 45xx was a new one.

Is the young lady on the cover of the right ROCO catalogue wearing some kind of PPE to protect her eyes from the fast moving loco. Understandable if it was a Tri-ang turbo car which put a number of people in A&E with the spike on the front.

Bill,

When I moved last year I reluctantly recycled almost all my magazines. I kept most of my catalogues and although mostly Roco and Electrotren, I do have some odd others including a couple from Frateschi - I did think about dabbling in S. American RRs at one point but the gauge compromise was even worse than OO.

Bill,

Have you been on forotrenes recently? I did try and message you a short time back.

Rana,

I was aware of some of Lima's plans for UK conquest and as they say in my house - well, in my corner of the attic at least - if you put an Accurascale, a Bachmann and a Hornby Deltic side by side, the only accurate parts are the Hornby bogies. sunglasses

ellocoloco - yes to the Spanish site foretrenes - I could not pick up your message for some bizarre reason - perhaps you could transfer your question to this site and I will give you a fast response???

• 2 weeks later...

My information concerning 2024 Roco Catalogues was I am afraid inaccurate. Their latest issue catalogue is freely available in Europe at no cost and it only seems to be Gaugemaster restricting the issue to a download presumably because of the cost of paper catalogues from Roco and the ever increasing cost of postage via Royal Mail.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just for you @Rana Temporia 

https://www.forotrenes.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92507

The second entry in this thread from Spanish Forum Forotrenes has a .pdf attachment with the 1979/80 Lima Spanish catalogue. The usual Renfritos of mixed accuracy, but what is even more disturbing is the N gauge Class 31  masquerading as a Spanish ALCo. I suppose that means Hornby could have inherited the tooling and are preparing to take the N scale world by storm! 😆 

Thanks Elloloco, I like the picture of what appears to be a King at the start of the Spanish catalogue followed by a picture of a class 47 below the 31. The 31 towers over the N coaches, but I don’t think it’s as poor a scale replica as the Delic was which may have been closer to TT. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/03/2024 at 13:55, Rana Temporia said:

I like the picture of what appears to be a King at the start of the Spanish catalogue followed by a picture of a class 47 below the 31. The 31 towers over the N coaches

I remember the UK Lima N catalogue of similar period included advertising for a Western, a King and a J50 tank loco.  All obviously doctored OO model photos and none ever appeared.  I got quite excited about the prospect of a Western (this was before the Farish model came out).
Yeah the 31 was a little over-scale even for UK 1:148 (though not as bad as the Deltic), not helped by the pickup bogie springing making that end sit higher than the other end and looked odd against the coaches which were more like 1:160.