Starter Train Sets should include more

NSE456

Should starter sets come with a few more extras in the box?

I know Train Sets can be brought by people of all ages and experience but for the purpose of this suggestion, I am trying to think about ways of attracting people (particularly younger people) into the hobby.

To me a big part of the appeal of running model trains is everything built around it, I like watching my locos dive in and out of tunnels, cross bridges, stop at platforms etc.

Quite rightfully adding all that scenery to my layout is up to me, but for a new modeller who has just unboxed their first oval of track why not give them a hand? Not only will it make their first oval of track more interesting but it might help them develop the creativity and desire to keep building and adding to their set.

I'm not suggesting any expensive extras are added, just some very basic props and structures that a new hobbyist can build to develop their skills and hopefully help create an interest in going further into the hobby.

Here are some ideas which I would like to see added to the train sets, please feel free to add your own ideas below.

1) Card Platform or Footbridge kit.

This will only be a very basic design to introduce the concept of card kits, if a person wanted to go further down this path purchasing a retail card kit would be an upgrade.

2)Card Tunnel Faces.

As these are the face of the tunnel only they would come with a suggestions booklet to introduce new modellers to scenery building and some of the items they could use to build their tunnel.

3) 2-3 freestanding trees to setup around the layout, these may have to be plastic but can be of a lower quality than the retail versions as an introduction to placing trees/foliage and how they benefit a model railway scene.

4) Props, add a few cheap card props to add around the layout, even if these are 2D give a first time modeller the chance to stand a postbox by their level crossing or put a few people and a news stand on the platform, maybe setup a 2D signal at the end of their siding.

To clarify I think these kits should be about as basic as they come, its more important that they are easy and could potentially liven up a basic set and give inspiration to go further and explore more of the hobby.

As the intention with most of these items would be that a serious or developing modeller may choose to replace them eventually they should also be recyclable, hence the use of Card wherever possible.

• Thanks 1

Trees. Post boxes, Telephone kiosks etc. could all be made of card as well. 2 pieces of card (both printed on both sides) one with slot from top-to-middle, the other with slot from middle-to-bottom, slide together to form a freestanding prop.

Sounds exactly what you get in the

as reviewed by Sam himself! I fully agree that the play value should be maximised as a way to further engagement. Card pop up kits can't be too difficult to add and everyone loves tunnels. Most of my scenery was made from lego and books could be used to make tunnels.

Some of the Mainline (Palitoy) train sets came with a cardboard station kit which were also available as separate items and weren’t bad models although the platform was a bit short for the sets they were supplied with. Lots of sets have come with cut-out cardboard tunnels on the back of the box and a number of Tri-ang/Hornby sets had plastic tunnel mouths with a cardboard tunnel structure.

Playcraft (Jouef) produced the lakeside set which was a complete layout in a box. Very few survive, it came with a track mat, station, track, goods shed, level crossing etc. and either a passenger or goods train with the HO D6100 loco. The photo is from the 3rd edition of the UK catalogue with extra trains displayed! I have one of these sets, it’s great.

forum_image_65c742053526c.thumb.png.14f0563a9437337509fc4085a24e3ae5.png

Hi

Hate to say this but Hornby used to do train sets with 2 x twin track tunnels mouths and a card tunnel,, some also had a single track level crossing, Goods sets came with a goods shed for the siding in the 1980's, It would be good if they revived some of their old style sets without inflating the price of the sets.

I have at least 6 tunnel mouths in my collection of Hornby bits but no card tunnels

• 1 month later...

The VSOE analogue boxed set was my introduction to model railways early 2000s. Swiftly converted to digital as soon as Elite became available from Hornby and I have never looked back.