Help! 423 4-VEP EMU

The Bowl

Hi all, not a regular in here at all. Had pre ordered the above for my som and it arrived bang on time for his birthday - PHEW!

When trying to programme, it lights up but gives a continous buzz and won’t move. Any of you experts got any ideas?

We’re fairly new to this and it’s been a bit of a slow project but he was really wanting this from it being advertised last year.

1 hour ago, 96RAF said:

Check its not just a blanking plate.

IMG_0321.jpeg

Out and about just now but surely if it was a blanking plate there would be no power to the unit? 

Unit responded when programming but when put on main track makes the kind of buzzing noise in the video and doesn’t move.

If a blanking plate is fitted the loco is essentially a DC one, it will therefore definitely respond physically to any power that is applied - however it will not be capable of accepting/replying to any DCC programming commands.

Buzzing is normally a sign of a DC motor attempting & failing to move under (alternating polarity) DCC.  If left in this state for any significant amount of time, the result can be terminal.

Only if there was an empty DCC socket (with no blanking plate) would there be no power to the loco.

To reinforce the replies above, when the loco sits and buzzes on DCC, the most common result is it is DCC Ready with a blanking plate rather than DCC Fitted with a decoder. 

And leaving it on the track with a blanking plate will burn out the motor sooner or later. 

That looks as though it needs a 21pin decoder to be fitted. The Hornby 21pin TXS decoder will allow a speaker and Power Bank to be fitted - assuming there is room - especially for the power bank. Hornby have yet to release the sounds for this unit. 

Edited by Bulleidboy

5 minutes ago, Bulleidboy said:

That looks as though it needs a 21pin decoder to be fitted. The Hornby 21pin TXS decoder will allow a speaker and Power Bank to be fitted - assuming there is room - especially for the power bank. Hornby have yet to release the sounds for this unit. 

Thanks, I’ve totally misread it as fitted and not ready/fitted.

Appreciate all the replies and hopefully avoided an expensive mistake!

The Elite is fine - I use one. You will need the 21pin decoder - I can recommend the Hornby TXS R7322 - this will (should) fit perfectly and as I said allow a speaker, which comes with the decoder, to be fitted. If you have an iPhone you could download the app and run your train from the phone?

Just been reading up on this decoder as you were typing and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

While taking a mental note to read properly🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks again👍🏼

Just now, Bulleidboy said:

The Elite is fine - I use one. You will need the 21pin decoder - I can recommend the Hornby TXS R7322 - this will (should) fit perfectly and as I said allow a speaker, which comes with the decoder, to be fitted. If you have an iPhone you could download the app and run your train from the phone?

It can be a lot to take in when you first start. If you fit the 21pin decoder, you can programme it in the usual way by using your Elite and a programming track - if you do not have a programming track just make sure there are no other loco's on the track/layout or they will all be programmed with the same number.

Yeah, got the programming track and a couple of locos setup already. Was nothing like this when I got my own first set 40 years ago!

Just need to take our time and do it right. Had a few units that came with decoders and fell into the assumption trap I think.

Decoder ordered!

When your decoder arrives and you fit it, they come with a default sound loaded (so you know it works), it was a steam loco - so don't think they have sent you the wrong decoder. The decoder allows many sounds to be loaded (individually), but they can be easily changed. I am sure you have a mobile phone, these new decoders will works from your Elite (DCC) or via Bluetooth from your phone - it is very easy to change sounds when using the phone, once loaded you can switch back to DCC and your Elite. Might be best to do some reading before taking that route - it is fairly straightforward. You could load the App from the App Store, but make sure you get the right one - that is important.

Edited by Bulleidboy
  • Thanks 1

Further to the post by Bulleidboy above, it is not just iPhones that allow the TXS Decoders to be controlled by your phone.  It is Android as well from the Play Store.

Got an iphone and now reading up on all of this.

A mishap is turning into an education. Very thankful for the forum and all the information it brings, sharing your knowledge is greatly appreciated folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1