I Need a right angle adapter for Arc Pro power cord . . .

Expidia

Received my replacement Scalextric Pro Platinum today. Due to my setup the Pro Arc power unit hangs slightly over the edge of my Plywood sheet.
Which causes the male end of the power cord to hang straight out even farther.

I’d like to order from Amazon a right angle adapter so the power plug hangs down instead of straight out where people walking by keep hitting it and it will eventually snap off.

Anyone know the specs for this adapter or a link to one?
Thanks

I emailed Scalextric who actually manufactures this $700 Pro Platinum set with their Pro Arc unit, yet they gave me back a "useless response"!

Anyone know a link to Amazon for one of these simple adapters in the correct size for the male end of the power cord?

In the old days, I could have just walked into a Radio Shack with the transformer in hand and matched it up to one off their wall!

Edited: Please do not post personal information (even your own) . It is in violation of the guidelines. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi There

I don`t have a lot of experience with Hornby US as I am based in Europe. I have found the people at the headquarters in Margate are usually knowledgeable as they actually designed and engineered the thing.

Their address is the same as the one you sent but ends in co.uk I think. Alternatively try the UK/GB site and use the contact form there.

I think you have three options:

1 Get a 90° barrel plug

or

2 reroute the power input in the powerbase itself.

or

3 Relocate the eletrconic part of the power base.

For 1: Back in the day you could have gone to a radio Shack and they would have been able to set you up in no time. What you need to know id the out diameter and the inner diameter of the plug. The black strip is an insulator. It should be the same width as well as there is a pin inside the power base that slides inside the barrel and a small finger that touches the outside of the plug. Once you find one the correct dimensions you can simply cut the power cord and solder on to the new plug IMPORTANT: Make sure you keep track of whether the inside is negative or the outside. Swapping those around will kill your powerbase.

2 I can`t find any pictures of the inside of the powerbase off hand but if memory serves the power jacks inside the base are only pressed on to the circuit board or lightly soldered. You can detach them from board and lengthen the connection using wires and relocate them somewhere else.

3 This might be the easiest option as I have seen it done a few times. Since the track it is attached to is the same across all ARC powerbases the electronic module is just screwed on the the track. You could detach the power electronics and lengthen the wires so the base is anywhere on the layout.  In fact I think the connection is a standard 4 wire connection so you could make/buy  "extension cords". One of the beauties of ARC PRO is its wireless controllers so where the base is can be theoretically anywhere. I would try to keep the wires under 2 meters/6 feet....

Good luck!

Which Power Supply Unit does it use.

If the 4-amp Hornby/Scalex brick used by the digital kit then the jack plug is 6.3mm OD x 3mm ID x 10mm Long. The sockets are like hen's teeth but some adaptors are available.

If it is the unit used by the analogue kit then the jack is 5.5mm OD  x 2.1mm or 2.5mm ID (not sure which, but use a twist drill as a go/no go gauge to determine). These are widely used on CCTV systems so loads of adaptors available.

Thanks 96RAF

DESCRIPTION

Transformer 15VDC - 1.2A - Scalextric P9303

This is a Scalextric High-Performance Digital Transformer featuring 15V 4 amp DC. Improved performance maintained with higher voltage and previous 12V units. In order to power the 6-Lane Digital Power Base unit, two 15VDC Transformers are needed when running 4 or more slot cars as well as updated features.

Reference code: P9303 (P9303W)

Last updated on Saturday, November 18, 2023 - 00:38

IMG_4564.jpeg

IMG_4523.jpeg

IMG_4524.jpeg

Edited by Expidia

9 hours ago, Andy P. said:

Hi There

I don`t have a lot of experience with Hornby US as I am based in Europe. I have found the people at the headquarters in Margate are usually knowledgeable as they actually designed and engineered the thing.

Their address is the same as the one you sent but ends in co.uk I think. Alternatively try the UK/GB site and use the contact form there.

I think you have three options:

1 Get a 90° barrel plug

or

2 reroute the power input in the powerbase itself.

or

3 Relocate the eletrconic part of the power base.

For 1: Back in the day you could have gone to a radio Shack and they would have been able to set you up in no time. What you need to know id the out diameter and the inner diameter of the plug. The black strip is an insulator. It should be the same width as well as there is a pin inside the power base that slides inside the barrel and a small finger that touches the outside of the plug. Once you find one the correct dimensions you can simply cut the power cord and solder on to the new plug IMPORTANT: Make sure you keep track of whether the inside is negative or the outside. Swapping those around will kill your powerbase.

2 I can`t find any pictures of the inside of the powerbase off hand but if memory serves the power jacks inside the base are only pressed on to the circuit board or lightly soldered. You can detach them from board and lengthen the connection using wires and relocate them somewhere else.

3 This might be the easiest option as I have seen it done a few times. Since the track it is attached to is the same across all ARC powerbases the electronic module is just screwed on the the track. You could detach the power electronics and lengthen the wires so the base is anywhere on the layout.  In fact I think the connection is a standard 4 wire connection so you could make/buy  "extension cords". One of the beauties of ARC PRO is its wireless controllers so where the base is can be theoretically anywhere. I would try to keep the wires under 2 meters/6 feet....

Good luck!

Thanks Andy, for taking the time to outline some resolutions.  A lot of good suggestions.  I think 96RAF might be able to locate the adapter specs which is pobably the easiest solution.

No edit option so I have to post again.  I'll give this one a go from Amazon.  Not cheap at $10 each or $21.5 for 2 with tax.  If it works I can always find a cheaper ones and return these.  If I had to buy them from Hornby in England the shipping costs would kill me anyway.  At least with your specs I can search some electronics store on the web for two of them.  

Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 7.26.14 AM.png

Edited by Expidia

I just found the same 6.3mm adapters on Ebay for $2.30 each plus $2.98 shipping from England!  Some of Amazon's vendors can be such a rip offs.  If "they fit" they get them back and I'll wait for the Ebay ones to arrive from overseas within 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Expidia said:

Thanks 96RAF.  Only a blue check mark shows up for the image though.

Just a lost image - the text should show which is the info. Andy has more info if required on a country by country basis per track set power.