Self Re-setting CVs

thirdline

I have three HM7000 decoders and I’ve had various issues with them all, uncontrollable locos, unable to control from DCC or sometimes vice versa, although at times they’ve worked perfectly.  I have now unlinked and deleted them from the app and they were working fine using my Elite and Railmaster, which after loading the sound function is all I require.  However, they now are uncontrollable as in when power is applied they race off at speed and I have to stop them using the emergency stop.

I’ve run a few tests with one of them and this is what I found, the loco is a loco drive Hornby B17 and the decoder is fitted in the tender socket.

With the loco on the programme track I set CV8 to 8, the loco worked fine, I then entered the address as it was before the reset and it worked fine for a while then the same issue arose again.

i repeated the reset procedure and it worked fine again, so I left the address at 3 this time, after a while the issue arose once more, so with the loco on the programme track I read some of the CVs that I’m familiar with, CV2 read 160, so did CV3 and CV4!! CV12 was 0 and CV29 was 2. Since then I’ve set CV8 to 8 twice and tried just resetting CV2 to 2 and CV3 and 4 to 15 but nothing seems to stop the issue from arising.  What on earth is happening, how can CVs reset themselves?  Is it me, is it the decoder, is it my Elite or is it my Railmaster?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CV2 at high value would account for a raceaway loco. CV29 at 2 is fine.

After setting the decoder in the app are you synching the CVs in the editor and checking what values are being returned.

Yes I double check the values after resetting, it’s when the thing is being used it changes the value, I know it sounds ridiculous but believe me it’s true.

i have used RM in the past to rest CVs but my preference is the Elite. When I get chance I’ll try using the RM just to see if there’s a difference, I’m willing to try anything to get out of this hole!

I suppose its cos i started with Elink, but i find RM lets you look at the whole picture, when reading CVs. I have never had one change back. Raf is the Elite expert, but there is a third option, as you could programme on the Main, if all else fails. I have had to do this twice for american locos to change CVs. Needs reading up though. I have a spare Elite, for this, saves  taking other locos off.

Every time I reset CVs 2,4 &5 in that order, I read them back in that order and they all change to 160,  if I reset them singularly and read back they’re ok, but once I reset the next one the first then reads 160. I’ve experimented with resetting CVs on a Hornby TTS decoder and I experience no problems whether I use the Elite or Railmaster other than CV2 appears unreadable.

So why 160 of all values? I know CV160 controls sound, so I’m wondering if the issue lies with the sound profile, I know that’s not logical but neither is the issue I’m experiencing, can the sound profile be removed without linking back to the app?

Sorry, I don’t have a solution, this lot is most puzzling and should be reported back to HM Customer Care.

But some observations:

CV2 - Vstart. Adjustable in TXS but not TTS. Default should be 0?

CV3/CV4 - acceleration and deceleration, adjustable in both TXS and TTS. Default value is 15 for both CVs and both decoders. If CV3 becomes 160, loco will not race off, in fact it will take nearly 3 minutes to get going. If CV4 goes to 160, loco will take nearly 3 minutes to stop (keep the decoder for use on your 2km long iron or train (driverless) on your West Australian layout!).

CV5 - undefined and not adjustable on either TXS or TTS. 

1 hour ago, thirdline said:

Every time I reset CVs 2,4 &5 in that order, I read them back in that order and they all change to 160,  if I reset them singularly and read back they’re ok, but once I reset the next one the first then reads 160. I’ve experimented with resetting CVs on a Hornby TTS decoder and I experience no problems whether I use the Elite or Railmaster other than CV2 appears unreadable.

So why 160 of all values? I know CV160 controls sound, so I’m wondering if the issue lies with the sound profile, I know that’s not logical but neither is the issue I’m experiencing, can the sound profile be removed without linking back to the app?

What are you using to write then read them. If you are talking about RM then it always had a bug where the previous value would decamp into the next CV in the list, thus appearing to be a value it wasn't. A bit like the old 2 Ronnie's sketch - answering the question before it had been asked.

I fear there is something strange going on with my Elite and my RM.  On the Elite I set CV2 to 2 and CVs 3 & 4 both to 15, I then read them back and all was ok.  I then read them via RM and all three were ok, then, without disturbing anything I read them again on RM and CV4 had changed to 160 (that 160 again)’ so without disturbing anything I read them once again and all three had changed to 160!!  I then turned RM off and read the same three CVs again on the Elite and sure enough they were all reading 160 !!!
I then disconnected RM via the cable from the Elite and reset the same three CVs to CV2 to 2, CV3 & 4 to 15, I immediately read back CV 2 and it was set at 160!!!
During the entire process the app was set to DCC  and was turned off.

in the 18 years I’ve been dabbling with DCC I’ve never experienced anything like it.  What on earth is going on?

1 hour ago, thirdline said:

I’ve read elsewhere about Elite versions, mine is V1.3, could that be the root of my problem?  Do I need to update?

Ver 1.3 dates back to around 2008, so an update to 1.45 is highly recommended.

• Thanks 1

Oh dear, tried to upgrade elite via the update guide for Windows 10, couldn’t download the update file, dialogue read “you’ve reached the end of the platform, let’s get you back on track” . Clicked that and it took me to Hornby web site.

since read an old thread i found which contained several posts regarding problems upgrading the elite from Windows 10, sounds like a complete nightmare!!

can anyone point me in the right direction please because I’m getting fed up now.,

Go to Lu LU JO   post   Problem With Elite Dongle.  At bottom of postings, RAF, has fully documented how to update Elite. Its a bullet proof method, which we all use. Follow it carefully. It involves a tad of patience, but it works.

• Thanks 1

It is dead simple if instructions are followed including the delays and has been ever since the current update method was released years ago. If you concluded it’s a nightmare, you were clearly not looking at the proper instructions. 

• Thanks 1

While upgrading your Elite to the latest version is undoubtedly a good thing to do, I'd be surprised if it fixed the problem of CV corruption that you describe in your original post.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum of this sort of problem - I've had 3 or 4 instances (not recently) of loss of DCC control while running at speed, necessitating a CV8 reset, and someone else spotted that CV19 had been corrupted after he lost DCC control. I don't know what the answer is!

Regards, John

3 hours ago, Britannia Builder said:

While upgrading your Elite to the latest version is undoubtedly a good thing to do, I'd be surprised if it fixed the problem of CV corruption that you describe in your original post.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum of this sort of problem - I've had 3 or 4 instances (not recently) of loss of DCC control while running at speed, necessitating a CV8 reset, and someone else spotted that CV19 had been corrupted after he lost DCC control. I don't know what the answer is!

Regards, John

He was at v1.3. The list I posted of the changes since then shows several things very important to reliable operation especially with a dongle, including operation of all 29 functions, dummy car programming, support for more modern decoders and an Xpressnet fix., 

Many thanks to RAF, yelrow and to all that replied, I’ve now updated my Elite to 1.45 following the excellent instructions sent by RAF.  My Railmaster is version 1.73, is there an upgrade for that? I want to ensure that everything is up to date before I resume problem solving.

ive noticed on Elite 1.45 it’s a bit quicker to write CVs and the functions are easier to operate.

Thanks again.