HM7000 Chips, Loco has 21 pin socket not pins

Hi,

Very new to the whole world of HM7000 and Bluetooth decoders, and still in the process of deciding whether to go down the HM7000 route or conventional DCC.

Just bought a Bachmann Class 20/3 that has a 22 pin socket, which the Hornby R7322 HM7000-21TXS: Bluetooth® & DCC Sound Decoder (21-pin) wont fit without some sort of convertor. Is my new loco incompatible with the HM7000 system or is there a work around.

TIA

John

20240225_162805.jpg

It had to happen at some point. Plux22 is very common here on the continent. Hornby needs to consider a Plux22 version of the HM7000, if they want it to compete with other decoders.

You can maybe use an adapter, but many locos will not have the space for it.

• Like 1

Why should they? The locos in their range are a mix of 8, N18 and 21 so it’s no surprise that decoders for those configurations are what they sell. Maybe if they decided to fit decoders with Plux sockets then the decoders might follow but I can’t think why they would diversify further at this stage.

14 hours ago, SteveM6 said:

Why should they?

If you want to adopt the whole Bluetooth Mesh setup and not run DCC at all, then you need a Plux22 compatible decoder. Regardless of Hornby uses the plug themselves or not. They will need to make it, because people buy other stuff than just Hornby.

As it is now, you still need the DCC controller to run anything that is not one of the supported plugs. This takes away the whole "you don't need an expensive controller" sales argument. It takes away the "just power the track" argument.

Basically it renders the entire Bluetooth Mesh redundant, because you can just use your existing controller as you always have.

I think that is a shame, because I would love to ditch the controller and go full Bluetooth. 

I’m sure those on the HM DCC project are looking into feasibility of offering alternative plugs, would be a long term goal just as offering profiles, not just for Hornby models as it puts the HM DCC system out there as a ‘do it all control system’ not one focused on Hornby products. Like most things though, it takes time and graduated introduction like we have seen is sensible, there are always some issues to resolve.

Edited by Rallymatt
  • Like 1

Couldn't agree more RM, a gradual growth of the system over a period of time is what we are likely to see. 

There seems to be a trend these days for the public to expect everything immediately. We see endless comments about the time to release a new model after it's announcement and this year, where Hornby have  been quite open about the need to catch up and consolidate, we get complaints about the lack of new models.

TT has been the same, an expectation from parts of the customer base that Hornby should have released the whole of its back catalogue of OO rescaled to suit TT.

I would suggest that no company exists that could manage a feat like that or sustain that level of investment.

• Like 3

Bachmann seem to be the only manufacturer going down the Plux22 route which puts me off buying their newer models. I have their Class 159 DMU and for that I fitted a Zimo Plux22 sound decoder (before HM7000 was out) from YouChoos which was twice the price of a 21 Pin TXS. Bachmann Class 31 or Accurascale Class 31, the latter I think as its 21 Pin with rotating fans (hope they work with TXS) on the DCC Ready version. Would be nice if Hornby produced a Plux22 TXS but that's probably not on their priority list at the moment.

I think you guys misunderstood me. I was just explaining why a Plux 22 is needed. Not "demanding it".

I am perfectly aware that things take time. It does not change the reason for providing the Plux22 though.

It is a UK centric focus to think that the current lineup is enough. The majority of new continental models have Plux 22. If Hornby wants to be relevant in this segment, they will need to provide more plugs. Otherwise they do not have a complete system.

Call me absurd - that's on you.

Edited by HST Mainline
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, HST Mainline said:

I think you guys misunderstood me. I was just explaining why a Plux 22 is needed. Not "demanding it".

I am perfectly aware that things take time. It does not change the reason for providing the Plux22 though.

It is a UK centric focus to think that the current lineup is enough. The majority of new continental models have Plux 22. If Hornby wants to be relevant in this segment, they will need to provide more plugs. Otherwise they do not have a complete system.

Call me absurd - that's on you.

I agree a Plux 22 should be one of their longterm goals. Obviously, first priority goes to the standards Hornby uses in its UK/Continental models. But as you say, the more hardware Hornby creates the more likely it is to find its footing. I think HM7000s product strategy has been exactly right. Initially, they focused on getting it into the basic train sets. Now they are adding more complex features and addressing edge cases. With each update the entire product platform and system gets stronger. 

In the same way I think it would be smart for Hornby to eventually add sound profiles for locomotives they don't produce, I think adding more decoders will also be helpful. The big question is whether HM7000 exists to sell Hornby trains, or whether it's a serious DCC system in its own right. All indications are that they want this to be serious product with widespread appeal. From the way Hornby and its team talks, this is not some parlor trick aimed at Hornby train set buyers. Instead, this is the start of a longterm platform that will feature complete layout control. In order for HM7000 to reach its full potential, that will take supporting other industry standards. 

Obviously, patience is required. No offense to the fine people or products at Bachmann and Gaugemaster, but their new DCC systems seem incremental compared to HM7000. The sky is the limit!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

I think HM7000s product strategy has been exactly right

I completely agree. Right and logic. Of course you will want to serve your own products first.

12 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

All indications are that they want this to be serious product with widespread appeal.

...yes and it will have. I keep going back to the app for programming. It is just so easy and fun. The general idea is really good, and I am looking forward to see what Hornby will have in store for us.

I guess at the end of the day the Plux22 decision will come down to a profitable business case. If there is one, I'm sure they will consider it at some point in the future.

Personally, I'd like to see a move to one standard connector and that's it, would make life easier when working out which decoder to buy.