HM7000 / HM6010 / Surface Mount Point Motor

Good Afternoon All,

I've just received and set up my first batch of HM7000 gear.  I have the HMDCC app talking to an HM6010 which is operating as expected. 

the point motor seems to be very inconsistent.  I can hear it clicking in both directions sometimes it flicks in and out and next seems to have the ommf to operate a point.

Wondering if it is damaged, there is not much to get wrong with it. thought I'd try posting here before buying another or returning.

I've got the correct power supply. Can anyone offer any experience?

Regards

Tim

Assuming you have the R8243 Surface Mounted Point Motor? there are two things to be aware of:

1) The two small baseboard fixing screws could be too tight, try slacking them off slightly.

2) You need to leave time between switching the points for the HM6010 CDU to recharge, e.g. 2 seconds.

Try to avoid using port 4 for paired motors as that is only 12volts intended to run a turntable. Ports 1 to 3 are 14volts should operate a small point motor without problems. I had pairs of them ganged during testing.

23 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

You might like to tell us what model point motor you have?  You say surface mount but not which brand. 

It was in the title, but it is the R8243 Surface Mounted Point Motor.

I’m not using surface mounted points (Peco PL11 under board) but I did find the “pulse” a little weak so the positioning of the motor to get a clean, balanced throw was very important. @CaNNoN_1981 there is a link in the pinned post on the HM7000 forum page that takes you to a text manual that covers the HM6010. @Peachey also did a good YouTube video 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

How do you set up point motors within the app, is there a guide out?

Connect an HM6010 module to the app and configure it in the accessories screen - 2 sliders icon at bottom of screen.

Also covered in the main step by step how-to guide.

Hi LTSR_NSE

Yeh sorry that's what I meant, using it through the my Hornby Select and the Legacy Dongle. I currently have 15 TTS loco's running through the dongle.

I can't see it being too difficult for the developers to set this up as each one of my surface point motors has an address on the Select (while running through the accessories decoder R8247) so surely they'd be able to add any R8247's through the dongle and use them in the same way the RM6010s work?

A "watch this space" situation I guess.......

1 hour ago, CaNNoN_1981 said:

Hi LTSR_NSE

Yeh sorry that's what I meant, using it through the my Hornby Select and the Legacy Dongle. I currently have 15 TTS loco's running through the dongle.

I can't see it being too difficult for the developers to set this up as each one of my surface point motors has an address on the Select (while running through the accessories decoder R8247) so surely they'd be able to add any R8247's through the dongle and use them in the same way the RM6010s work?

A "watch this space" situation I guess.......

What you describe is basically what will happen, however at present the engine shed can only generate a new loco, when it needs to be able to generate a new accessory, that can be assigned to the dongle.

Next - the app only has a basic UI for operation of HM6010 modules, when it will require a more complex UI to cater for R8247 units at v2.0. 

HM6010 is fully capable of working at R8247 v2.0 complexity as well, hence the app UI for that will then have to use the new format. Also bear in mind the way the HM6010 works is reliant upon the power source DC or DCC. With DC power it can only work thru' the app, but with DCC power it can only work from a DCC controller. All this needs to be ironed out before testing can begin prior to release to Gen-Pop live apps.

The work to bring this into play is scheduled and will feed in after consisting has been sorted.

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2024 at 18:46, gilbo2 said:

Assuming you have the R8243 Surface Mounted Point Motor? there are two things to be aware of:

1) The two small baseboard fixing screws could be too tight, try slacking them off slightly.

2) You need to leave time between switching the points for the HM6010 CDU to recharge, e.g. 2 seconds.

I think they 2 sec may explain some of my intermittent problems, I would have just been flicking it on and off. Thanks

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim-1330659 said:

I think they 2 sec may explain some of my intermittent problems, I would have just been flicking it on and off. Thanks

The 6010 is set by default to send a double hit each of 500mS long. This is not user adjustable yet, unlike R8247 v2.0.

This will drain the internal capacitors which are rigged per channel, unlike the R8247 where they are ganged across all ports and have more overall capacity (not the right tech term but you know what I mean)..

The recharge time is therefore important between selections.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim-1330659 said:

Glad to have helped :classic_smile:

• Like 1