2024 Range Announcement - 9am 2nd April

The Class 50 is next on my list...I hope that another manufacturer decides to launch some rolling stock...Seacows or Sealions would be good to make up ballast trains 😊

Class 50.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 17:04, Moccasin said:

I was told at the Model Rail Scotland show that Hornby Magazine will be printing a catalogue with the May edition (published on 4th April I think).  

They confirmed that during the live Q&A, looking forward to picking up a copy on Thursday.

3 minutes ago, John-L said:

They confirmed that during the live Q&A, looking forward to picking up a copy on Thursday.

What’ll be interesting is how they treat launch timescales in that. The Q&A confirmed a move away from phases, so will they just present models with no ETA  or give a year? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Presumably the online version will be made available when the June edition of HM is issued and no one can buy the printed copy  I suspect that’ll be part of the deal they struck and I think they mentioned May for the PDF  

They also mentioned that a wagon was the only model that is no longer in the pipeline. Wonder which it’ll be - we should find out in the catalogue. 

Well, no Jinty or Terrier. Looking back, it's clear to see that they wanted an 0-6-0T that could be introduced quickly. They would only have CADs for the J50 and Terrier, and I imagine that fitting a Bluetooth decoder in the Terrier would be challenging to say the least. The Dapol N gauge Terrier isn't even DCC ready.

I'd have liked to see more information on the status of the other announced models — though I imagine we'll be informed when, as in the case of the '37', there's something to show.

The signals, despite being described as following early GWR/LMS practice, are clearly all — including the 'single' ones — upper quadrant rail post designs.

They should consider a version of the level crossing without the yellow diagonal lines — I wonder how many gated crossings lasted long enough to receive these?

• Like 1

The J50 is a great addition to the range! 

The J50 had a long service life next to the likes of the A1s and A4s. It's the perfect addition for those looking to build up a layout. I take this as a win. 

That pushes the total number of new toolings set for release in 2024 up to 5 locomotives, 4 coach toolings, and 3 (or 4 if you want to count the Arnold wagons... I'm inclined to stick with 3 myself) wagons. That's a solid 2024 if I do say so myself. In addition, we're getting the level crossing and a variety of signals. 

Things I'm perplexed that weren't announced were the new Mk 1 variants (strongly implied to be coming soon) and new A4 variants (also strongly implied to be coming soon). Very surprising. 

But beyond those two, I think everything here made sense. It is a little too bad the HST set leaked, because that would have been an exciting surprise. But that doesn't take away from more important point... It's going to sell super well! 

Finally, I'm glad to see the Class 37 is in the same capable hands that created the TTA wagons and the Duchesses. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one! 

1 minute ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

I'm glad to see the Class 37 is in the same capable hands that created the TTA wagons and the Duchesses. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one! 

Yes the Class 37 is looking very nice, easily on a par with recent high profile OO versions.  

The lack of new MK1 liveries seems odd, I wonder if it’s because Blue & Grey versions don’t fit into the (roughly) six month time frame for new announcements?  If they were due end of the year/early next year then they might be announced in the autumn.

• Like 1

Too many new releases could be a problem, if people can’t afford to buy all the goodies as they arrive it sits in stock and that holds up the next project and ultimate slows new releases down. A gentle flow of models is ideal for customers and Hornby. I like the dynamic approach being taken towards future models l, somethings may move about the schedule to respond to customers desires. I’m expecting my 9fs next month on that basis….. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One intriguing part of the Q&A was the point on America. As an American, I'm not super interested in US prototypes. One of the reasons I chose this scale and region was because I wanted to model British prototypes (and because it's hard to get excited about modeling something that smells of sewage when you ride on it). However, I'm still heartened to hear that they're interested in making a push into America, because that means their US-based customer service and repair teams will be able to offer their services in America.

It's a lot less hassle and expense to return something or get service when I'm trying to negotiate different time zones, dealing with export declarations, etc. Also, in order to get free shipping to the US you have to spend 200 GBP on the Hornby UK store. The threshold is significantly lower for the Hornby Hobbies US store. 

And that's not to say I wouldn't get an American locomotive. That sounded like it would years away though. But if they make the UK models available in the US store, I would be quite pleased! 

Edited by Generic Hornby Username

If Hornby really wants to make a splash in US TT, there's one locomotive that makes sense... Big Boy. That thing would sell well to German TT fans, British TT fans, and potentially create demand for US TT fans. Hornby's Rivarossi brand has a long relationship with Big Boy. It's one of the most iconic locomotives with international appeal. That's the one I'd recommend they start with. HO and N have had solid Big Boy models for years. I bet the continental TT market would be ecstatic about having a high-quality tooling of Big Boy. 

But I need to stop going on tangents. That conversation just interested me. 😆

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

If Hornby really wants to make a splash in US TT, there's one locomotive that makes sense... Big Boy. That thing would sell well to German TT fans, British TT fans, and potentially create demand for US TT fans. Hornby's Rivarossi brand has a long relationship with Big Boy. It's one of the most iconic locomotives with international appeal. That's the one I'd recommend they start with. HO and N have had solid Big Boy models for years. I bet the continental TT market would be ecstatic about having a high-quality tooling of Big Boy. 

But I need to stop going on tangents. That conversation just interested me. 😆

The Class 66 has bogies suitable for an SD40 or similar, so might make a good starting point? I expect an SD40 or a GP38 would go down well with US TT modellers.  Currently nothing available RTR.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John-L said:

The Class 66 has bogies suitable for an SD40 or similar, so might make a good starting point? I expect an SD40 or a GP38 would go down well with US TT modellers.  Currently nothing available RTR.

That's a good point! It's also not a monstrous tooling project like Big Boy. Hmm...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

If Hornby really wants to make a splash in US TT, there's one locomotive that makes sense... Big Boy. That thing would sell well to German TT fans, British TT fans,

Really? You may be interested but I doubt many others are, it would hardly suit most layouts I've seen so far either! I'm sure there are dozens of other American prototypes which would outsell that one.

Then there'll be the cost...

I like they only announced stuff coming this year, and the J50 is a perfect choice to go with the current LNER region locos.

Having said that, an inkling as to what else is in the pipeline  into 2025 could be useful (for me at least).

Sitting on the fence between TT120 and 00 for a future second layout, it would have been handy to know if there are to be any era 3 and 4 freight and mixed locos, as well as  Prairie or Ivatt 2MT tank penciled in yet 😆

But I think overall it was a positive announcement for TT120. (and yes I feel that name should stay, to differentiate it from the old Triang TT range to those less aware than us lot).

Just now, moawkwrd said:

Could it be that some future stuff as yet unannounced may crop up in the catalogue? I’ll definitely be picking up a copy of Hornby Magazine just for it.

Might be more details on liveries but wouldn’t expect new models/tooling.

Would be great if there was a surprise in there. Maybe that’s why Martyn was so keen to mention it, although that’s probably more likely to be because it was part of the deal and something they want to promote. 

• Like 1

Nearly all great news. Really happy the way TT:120 seems to be heading.

Not too reassured however by the answer George gave to my question about the HM7000 6 pin decoder. He seemed to indicate that the design isn't yet finalised and they're still having problems sourcing the correct specification chips. Where does that leave those of us that want to be solely HM7000, maybe including those new to the hobby that have just bought digital TT sets?

I've currently got two 08's, the green one and now the new J50 on pre-order. That's four locos that will be sitting in their boxes (after running them in and checking for faults using standard DC) for who knows how long? I know there are ways they can be converted by those far more talented than me, including sound, but the extra sums involved (compared to a Hornby chip) are eye-watering.

• Like 2

Would anyone have any idea of how to get the printed copy of the new catalogue without buying the Hornby mag?   I will obviously download the PDF version when its available, but do prefer a 'hard' copy to browse through.  With the new membership set up we will very unlikely get a copy posted out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irishmail said:

Would anyone have any idea of how to get the printed copy of the new catalogue without buying the Hornby mag?   I will obviously download the PDF version when its available, but do prefer a 'hard' copy to browse through.  With the new membership set up we will very unlikely get a copy posted out.

EBay might be your best bet.  There is bound to be one or two copies of it for sale.

1 minute ago, Irishmail said:

I don’t think there will be other than as @John-L suggests. From the Q&A, it seems that the only printed version will be with the magazine. I imagine they’ve signed a deal with Key Publishing to that effect. 

Have to say a much better presentation and Q&A session a few hours after where I even managed to slip in a sarcastic reply to Hollybush. Worth it just for that 😀

The additional releases are very tempting and I think the J50 is a must for me. The only problem I have is that all this new stuff stops me getting on with my layout......well done Hornby 👍