DCC addresses

Potscale2378

Hi, I have a Hornby Elite on my layout, and around 75 locomotives. 

What is the best way to give locos their addresses? I've just reset my controller in order to start again. Currently, my Flying Scotsman has the address #4472, my class 08 has the address #8, and so on. Not sure if it's going to work for me though, is there a more logical way to address them? 

@Damian-1306882 - each loco decoder stores the address assigned to it - resetting the Elite has no effect on which addresses have been assigned.

You have no need to readdress any of your locos unless you actually want to - if you do, you will need to assign a new address to each of them individually.

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Grammar

If you do choose to readdress your fleet, one convention is to use the last four digits of the loco number so 46135 becomes 6135.

A other way is to take the first two and the last two so 46135 becomes 4635. This tends to include the class as part of the address.

Either way you don't need to remember them as the numbers are written on the side of each loco.

RDS - Thank you, this is the first time I have used the new format. Quick question though, I seem to have lost all my previous questions, comments, etc. Is this normal? 

Steve - yes, that's the route I'm taking. The only problem is that I have four class 37s! I also have around ten or twelve class 55s, but that is an easy one to get round. 

@Potscale2378, no it is not normal to lose any previous posts, although I think some members have reported losing posts from years ago.  You are only showing as having made 3 posts in total, one of which was deleted by me as the duplicate and only having joined the Forum in August 2023.

You do have another member id though as well, Potrail2378 which would explain it!

My logical (or illogical) way would be to number them using the numbers 5-80 as the loco Ids, and then have a paper chart hung up if you can't remember which one is which, and name them on the Elite with a unique name. Like my yellow one is Les 1983 because I got it from my uncle Les and the number on the side is 1983. I like naming locos with their name or number, for example 31 is railcar. as I only have 1 railcar I know which one it is. XYZ

All my locos have 2 addresses, a short address so I can run them from a Select and a long address based on their cab number - class for running from Elite or thru' TGG.

Then of course there is TXS decoders with their app MAC address which I cannot change.

In totally un-prototypical style I have the short address showing on the cab roof in silver/gold numbers.

Pity we can't have 5 digit addresses too, as thats what the vast amount UK loco's, both steam and diesel, usually have.

For my steam loco's I use the last 2 numbers, apart from a couple which end with 00, they use the first 2 numbers. Any loco that had the same last 2 numbers have been renumbered for simplicity.