Two locos won't work together

I'm experiencing problems with my new TT:120 Class 43 HST set.

The set arrived Friday, placed on my layout, fired up the Android app, linked the power car and the dummy car as separate devices and it (they) ran beautifully.

Saturday, fired up the layout for another session. HM7000 app recognized the power car (blue blue tooth symbol), but not the dummy car.

I went through the troubleshooting guide with no success, powered the layout off and left it for the evening.

This morning both units showed they were online and the dummy car responded to sound commands. But now the power car won't respond to sound or movement at all.

If I place just the dummy car on the track the app recognises it and responds 

If I place just the power car on the track the app recognises it and responds

If I place both cars on the track the app recognises the power car which responds, but doesn't recognize the dummy car.

Going through the guide again:

When I install a Profile to my HM7000 decoder, my locomotive no longer functions - doesn't apply as they both work individually.

When I open the HM | DCC app, it crashes - doesn't apply either.

I've checked every loco has a unique LOCO ADDRESS.

I'm baffled... Any advice folks?

Martin

Any address you give the decoder is only used in DCC mode from a DCC controller.

The app uses the fixed MAC address (7000-xxxx) which are unique to each decoder.

As you talk to bluetooth icons it is presumed you are using the app for control.

Check by reading CVs in the editor that CV19 (consist address) has not got any other value than the default zero. If it has then the decoder is in a DCC consist. Reset it to zero.

If the loco is not responding in DCC mode from a DCC controller and it has a long (4-digit) address then check CVs 17/18 values with an on-line calculator (see Useful links sticky post) to ensure the long address of choosing has been translated correctly.

I think I've understood this but I'd appreciate some help confirming this.

The long (4-digit) address is the MAC address so in my dummy cars case that's 7580 which I get from the DCC app showing HM7000_7580.

I've used the 2mm association online calculator (here), and entered 7580 giving me a CV 17 of 221 and CV 18 of 156.

These CV's don't match. 192/100 suggests they're default values.

So, before I start fiddling with CVs and possibly making things worse, is it just a case of changing these CV values in the app and I'm good to go?

Giving them the same address in CVs 17 and 18 will not solve your problem. As 96RAF said this value denote the decoder's long address which the App does not use, it only uses Bluetooth to communicate via the decoder's MAC address. In other words, the App doesn't give a hoot what DCC address you have assigned. That address only relates to running in DCC mode. Neither does the App yet support consists

So is the solution to unlink both locos, delete profiles etc and start again?

I can give that a try but they both worked out of the box first time but then stopped working together (not as in consist) after I turned the layout off and closed the app.

You still haven't grasped the difference between MAC address and DCC address.

192/100 is the default long address (actually 100 which technically is a short address just to confuse folk). This is the same idea as default short address of 3. Every time a decoder is reset it adopts these 2 default addresses for use in DCC mode.

7000-7850 is your MAC address used only by bluetooth, not a long address. You cannot change this and it is unlikely anyone would use it as a Dcc long address as many 7K decoders have letters and numbers not just numbers.

You cannot consist 2 bluetooth decoders in the app. It is not possible yet, thus you have to operate each decoder as if it was a separate loco. An update is coming that will allow you to run book end locos as a pair in the app, but its not ready yet.

You can consist in DCC mode and run both as a pair but that needs a DCC controller. 

In the meantime, delink, unassign and delete both decoders and start agin, remembering you do not need a DCC address unless you have a DCC controller. Also remember you have to run both ends of the trin separtely for now in the app.

Thanks @96RAF,

I'm familiar with MAC addresses - I use them all the time to reserve IP addresses in my router for my virtual machines.

The DCC/Bluetooth bit I'm still learning.

I don't use DCC, I have only ever used HM7000 android app and Bluetooth.

There's some confusion around consists here. I'm not trying to consist the power and dummy car at all and understand that, at the moment, I can only run both ends of the loco separately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Martin-369195 said:

Thanks @96RAF,

I'm familiar with MAC addresses - I use them all the time to reserve IP addresses in my router for my virtual machines.

The DCC/Bluetooth bit I'm still learning.

I don't use DCC, I have only ever used HM7000 android app and Bluetooth.

There's some confusion around consists here. I'm not trying to consist the power and dummy car at all and understand that, at the moment, I can only run both ends of the loco separately.

In that case forget all about long and short DCC addresses and setting up consists for now.

When the app update comes out it will allow you to allocate a phantom (consist) MAC address that will control both ends of your train at once. Operation of functions can be mapped so that the horns for instance only play at the leading car.

37 minutes ago, 96RAF said:

When the app update comes out it will allow you to allocate a phantom (consist) MAC address that will control both ends of your train at once. Operation of functions can be mapped so that the horns for instance only play at the leading car.

Does that mean that you’ll be able to set up common consists/double header/top and tail arrangements and only activate them/deactivate individual locomotives when you want them, so that they can be operated separately or together on a whim? Or will it be so simple to change consists that it’s unnecessary?

I appreciate that this is a nice to have and may be a step too far. Allowing HM7000 consisting for HSTs/MUs is the priority. 

Edited by Moccasin
Clarity

I've now removed both the power and dummy car from the app by doing the following:

Manage Device > Unassign, then Unlink & Delete Device
Power Cycle
Then delete device (also available from Settings > Engine Shed)
Restart Android Device

Then:

Put loco back on the track
Settings > Link Device > Start Scan
Select the new device
Locomotive Profile Detected >Yes (fetch and import the latest locomotive profile)

But:

Essential updates are required before using your device > Bluetooth Firmware, APROM Firmware

OK, I'll update...

And then:

'A problem has been detected with your device.'
Manage Device > Sound Data / Profile ROM Mismatch

Where on earth am I going wrong?

Try a different profile, say Class 08 as that is the smallest. If that works then go back and try the correct profile again.

You are going thru' the correct steps so it may be a glitch or a dodgy decoder. Is the second decoder showing the same problem.

Try installing from the profile page rather than loco settings page.

30 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Does that mean that you’ll be able to set up common consists/double header/top and tail arrangements and only activate them/deactivate individual locomotives when you want them, so that they can be operated separately or together on a whim? Or will it be so simple to change consists that it’s unnecessary?

Don't know to tell you the truth. Test team awaits the beta consist update to give it a try.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Martin-369195 said:

I'm just working on the power car for now. I can only import Function Maps, not Loco or Running Profile...

Do it from the profile page then.

Cross-posting from another thread for completeness:

there have been previous reports of an issue where multiple HM7k decoders cannot be operated & only the first placed on track is.  The solution for these situations has been to:
• completely delete affected decoders from app.
• remove affected locos from track & power off phone/tablet. 
• power everything back on again.  
• go through the linking process again.

The decoders should then be able to be operated together.

This didn't make any difference to the power car.

3 hours ago, Martin-369195 said:

Can't get past the reset device on the dummy car using the device reset code from the email

I've selected several profiles on the power car but none work.

Well reported glitch, simply power cycle app and decoder and it will be ready to link net time. You are re-inventing the wheel.

Since the usual solutions aren’t improving your issue, I would definitely recommend an email to hm.customercare@hornby.com (direct HM7k support contact) asking for additional support/advice.

Edited by LTSR_NSE