Mk 3 Coupling problems

What is the problem with the Intercity 125 Mk3 coach couplers? I've just got a new one today that will not stay joined to the rake no matter what I do. I've seen a few other people comment on problems getting them together. Does anyone have any trouble shooting suggestions?

As you say quite a few have had issues with these, but, as these are never split (on my layout) I have bought some magnetic ones.

I had to forcefully "ram" together to get them to couple and even then the odd one uncoupled after a while.

I just hope it is only Mk3's and the Staniers work just well as the Mk1's, and obviously the Mk2's for those who get them.

I’m having the same issues with my Mk3’s, they don’t seem so freely moving (the hook mechanism) when compared to my Mk1’s.

for me the uncoupling happens at the same place on the layout which happens to be a turn out point. I think as I use seep motors the pin is sitting slightly proud which then pushes the bow and uncouples. It must be very fine margins as 3 out of my 4 Mk’s go over ok, but same coupling is nearly always affected. 

Definitely something different with these Mk3’s though, all Mk1’ Pullmans, Maroons and Custards and Wagons no issues, stated swapping some around now to try and cure.

I have found my TTAs slightly less eager to couple, no disengaging though. Ironically I am about to swap the Hornby couplings for Tillig ones. It’s similar to issues I had with my Arnold Ferry vans, my first TT:120 stock. Up to now all the Hornby couplings have been good as gold. No MK3 or HST so can’t comment on that. 

I think I might have raised this initially, but same issue nonetheless. I too have replaced them with medium length Hunt Elite Couplings with no issues. Runs well in both directions. The small length couplings caused the coaches to derail on the curves.

Edited by Andrew-372848
Typo!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same issue. Seems to be same coaches decoupling around same place. Can do many loops alright before letting go. I’ve swapped out the couplers but still happens. 

I have been thinking of getting the magnetic ones as I find the Hornby ones too fiddly for my eye sight and clumsy fingers! 

Hi all  i love this type of couplings well i did on my piko tillig anold and the class 43 power cars.

but  add a mark 3 into the mix and love  turns  to hate lol  they are coupled for now if i don't take  them off the track that is fun and games to  get them to couple  again

well its the end of the fun for now  new couplings i think😊

On 26/03/2024 at 15:36, Martin-369195 said:

I had a similar problem coupling the HST power and dummy car but I replaced them with hunt magnetic couplings...

I have this problem too with the power/dummy car not coupling very well.  As I am still building the layout I have only been running the power car on 1 metre of peco flextrack to test it but is back in the box until later.  I will be looking to see if there are easy fixes for when the MkIII coaches arrive.

1 minute ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

I have this problem too with the power/dummy car not coupling very well.  As I am still building the layout I have only been running the power car on 1 metre of peco flextrack to test it but is back in the box until later.  I will be looking to see if there are easy fixes for when the MkIII coaches arrive.

what hunt couplings are vbeing used on HST rakes?  I don't know much about them, are they magnetic?

1 hour ago, Stephen-1260829 said:

what hunt couplings are being used on HST rakes?  I don't know much about them, are they magnetic?

Yes Hunt couplings are magnetic.  See the link from @Martin-369195 for a supplier.  Others have suggested that the medium length ones offer the best compromise between coach spacing & negotiating curves.

• Like 1

I have used and tried the magnetic couplers on all my coaches and they work really well. I have tested all the sizes and found the "close" ones work all over my layout. The others size ones and mixture of others cause issues..

I got mine from WHWW https://westhillwagonworks.com/hunt-magnetic-couplings-elite-tt120/148-hunt-couplings-elite-close-coupling-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-tt120.html

They also do a mix pack of sizes, which is a good place to start.  https://westhillwagonworks.com/hunt-magnetic-couplings-elite-tt120/152-hunt-couplings-elite-close-coupling-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-tt120.html

• Like 3

With the Mk3 I got the other day that wouldn't couple at first, I found eventually that just turning it around it coupled up ok the other way. I've got Hunt magnetics due to arrive over the weekend, I'll report back when I've had a chance to try them out.

• Like 1

I've had a number of Hornby wagons, mark 1 coaches and one loco so far (blue 08). No problems with the couplings on any of these, or with the Arnold ferry vans (or, for that matter, with the various German-prototype Tillig stock I have).

I have had issues with the Peco 7-plank wagon I have, however. It is both reluctant to couple and tricky to uncouple from other stock. It's also very light and easy to derail when using the Tillig "magnet on a stick" uncoupling tool. Looks like it will need extra weight and a coupling change, assuming this is a standard mount (the recent N gauge wagons don't have a standard mount).

Hopefully it will be straightforward to sort, as Peco are introducing a number of new N gauge wagons following on from the 7-plank in that scale, including 16-ton minerals and both planked and plywood sided standard BR vans, many of which would be useful in TT…

That's my HST converted to run with Hunt magnetic couplings, so far so good. I've not had an issue since I put them on this evening. I'm also going to put them onto my freight train in the goods yard. I've no issue with the Hornby couplings on them other than them not always coupling on curves, and I've a couple of tight R1 sections in the freight yard. They're definitely an upgrade on the Peco wagon couplings, which were the only let down on them.large.HSTHuntMagneticCoupling.jpeg.228b97fcf15bc2211f28c62c6a8f6822.jpeg

• Like 1