Who is getting the TT120 Intercity Mk2 coaches?

Moccasin

Who is getting the TT120 Intercity Mk2 coaches?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The Intercity Mk2 coaches don’t have much suitable traction so are you intending on buying the InterCity Mk2s on release, and if so, why?

• Yes - BR mixed and matched rolling stock so why can’t I?
    • Yes - pre-ordered and I’ll use them somehow!
    • No - my interests stop with steam
    • No - not until Hornby release a locomotive in Intercity livery
    • Other (please state)

Thinking about the Intercity Mk2 coaches, they don’t really have much suitable traction coming any time soon. So I was wondering how popular these would be? I know the 50s will have hauled them on the GWML, but that’s about the only suitable locomotive due any time soon. If the 47s had been coming soon, then that would have added to their use, but they don’t seem imminent within at least 12 months. Would Hornby’s efforts be better spent elsewhere? 

Do we think that an unannounced model is in the pipeline, or are the coaches just another casualty of changing timescales?

Edit - I know that they’re not due for another 9 months or so, but that doesn’t affect lack of traction

Edited by Moccasin

Pretty much any combination of traction and rolling stock will find use at Skelton Junction. The only parameter I’m broadly sticking to is that it’s been in use in my lifetime. The layout is a railway version of Cosford’s Cold War museum  😃 where everything on display I can remember being in active service. 

• Like 1

I planned to use them in conjunction with the MK2F's for my class 50's so 3 x MK2E and 3 x MK2F in both liveries then I have 2 rakes of 6 coaches.

In the future this arrangement could change should more suitable coaches become available but or now I'll make do. I hadn't considered that it might not be an entirely accurate arrangement - my pre-order as with many of my orders was placed in a hurry to beat last years price rise 😃

• Like 1

I think at this early stage of range development it’s a case of embrace what’s available. Some models will be easier or have different designers on them and possibly Hornby is using multiple manufacturing facilities and that could influence what can come when. 37 would be on MK2’s and that’s not so far away really. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The blue/grey and Intercity Mk1s will hopefully appear soon before too long too. From memory, they’ve both also regularly appeared on steam hauled excursions…

Edited by Moccasin
“Soon” seemed a bit too ambitious!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moccasin said:

The blue/grey and Intercity Mk1s will hopefully appear soon before too long too. From memory, they’ve both also regularly appeared on steam hauled excursions…

Blue and grey Mk1's were in use for a few years with BR steam. Even the reversed Pullman grey and blue was used on the last steam hauled Pullman from Bradford which had all three liveries in its consist, brown and umber Pullman, grey and blue Pullman, and blue and grey full brake hauled by a B1 to Leeds.

Just now, Silver Fox 17 said:

Blue and grey Mk1's were in use for a few years with BR steam. Even the reversed Pullman grey and blue was used on the last steam hauled Pullman from Bradford which had all three liveries in its consist, brown and umber Pullman, grey and blue Pullman, and blue and grey full brake hauled by a B1 to Leeds.

I was thinking more of the intercity Mk1s really. There was I think a BR Intercity Mk1 charter rake that was used on steam specials, but I might be mis-remembering. 

38 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

Interesting, thanks! 2Fs more popular than 2Es and Blue/Grey more so than InterCity 

(I do like a nice spreadsheet by the way!)

I used to be a systems analyst … so everything is spreadsheets 😝 Some of the numbers are interesting like the Red 21T mineral wagon is sitting @ -247 and the BR 57’s in Maroon are showing positive numbers so my prediction is they will be released in a eeek or so as the same happened to the Blue/Grey MK3s

No, as they really don't suit a 70s/80s preserved line... But I may do in the distant future as I used to work them as a Guard and much preferred them over a Mk3, much nicer.

1 hour ago, Postman On The Rails said:

Here you go, have the data for all the locos & rolling stock

IMG_1369.jpeg

That's really interesting difference between DC and DCC. The appeal for me was all the bells and whistles fully loaded out of the box controlled from my phone with every pre-order or purchase being DCC. (Currently reconsidering this approach given the 0-6-0's)

59 minutes ago, StuLarge said:

That's really interesting difference between DC and DCC. The appeal for me was all the bells and whistles fully loaded out of the box controlled from my phone with every pre-order or purchase being DCC. (Currently reconsidering this approach given the 0-6-0's)

I think the difference is due to the digital ones only being released recently and the price difference between getting the decoders separately or cancel and order digital version 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Postman On The Rails said:

here you go, descriptions basic maybe slightly incorrect there was a lot to go through

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1371.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1374.jpeg

Out of interest, how do you interpret the stock level figures and do they also show how many of each item Hornby receive?

I can see the 30th May is going to be an expensive day.

The stock levels only indicate the amount of stock currently allocated to the website.  They give no indication about either production quantities or stock levels in storage warehousing.

• Like 1