Apple iOS17 not Supporting iPad 5th Generation

So it’s happened. I can’t run the latest iOS on my iPad anymore. I assume at some point the new version of the HM:DCC app will require iOS17 so I won’t be able to get new features. However I’m hoping I can run with the current app for a while before things stop working. 

Any thoughts on timeframes for the app update’s requiring iOS17 and lack of support for older versions?

1 hour ago, BritInVanCA said:

So it’s happened. I can’t run the latest iOS on my iPad anymore. I assume at some point the new version of the HM:DCC app will require iOS17 so I won’t be able to get new features. However I’m hoping I can run with the current app for a while before things stop working. 

Any thoughts on timeframes for the app update’s requiring iOS17 and lack of support for older versions?

The decoder uses an ARM Cortex MO processor which is what limits what the decoder can do. Apple's OS is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Fishmanoz said:

I have an original iPad Pro, now some years old, but the latest OS for it is iPadOS 16.7.7.  Seems to me there is no 17 for iPad?

Or do I have that wrong?

iPadOS 17 was released in September 2023 - 2nd generation is earliest Pro supported. 

38 minutes ago, Daedalus said:

The decoder uses an ARM Cortex MO processor which is what limits what the decoder can do. Apple's OS is irrelevant.

Tablet/Phone OS is highly relevant to HM|DCC app support - which is the subject of this thread!

(Obviously it has no bearing on decoder capability - which is irrelevant to the OP’s question!)

2 hours ago, BritInVanCA said:

I assume at some point the new version of the HM:DCC app will require iOS17 so I won’t be able to get new features. However I’m hoping I can run with the current app for a while before things stop working. 

Currently the app works on all versions of iPadOS back to 13 - on supported devices.  The critical factor moving forward, will be how quickly newer features increase demands upon hardware performance (RAM capacity/Processor speed etc.)

I recognise this info doesn’t actually answer your question - but I don’t believe Hornby’s future app development timescale is known enough to give accurate predictions.  However given that v13 is now over 5yrs old, it is unlikely that support for v16 will be dropped tomorrow!

Edited by LTSR_NSE
Added info
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fishmanoz said:

I have an original iPad Pro, now some years old, but the latest OS for it is iPadOS 16.7.7.  Seems to me there is no 17 for iPad?

Or do I have that wrong?

I have a 6th gen iPad Pro running v17.4.1

I have an iPad Air stuck at v12.x.x which is supposedly supported but cannot run the app. What will load and run the app at which version of iOS is device dependant and as Daedalus said device processor is likely the limitation not the version of iOS.

This has been covered before in the early days after the app launch.

@96RAF All very logical but am I correct that when you upgrade your device it does not transfer over your decoders and engine shed meaning you have to set everything up again. Not used to this with Apple apps and Bluetooth devices but maybe there is a logic behind it 

Android does transfer the app and data. I transfered from Android 9 to Android 13 and ended with 2 fully working tablets. It depends on from and to versions, you could find the limitations online.

It appears to depend upon if the transfer software on the old-new devices is a copy over or clone method. The clone is more akin to when you migrate your PC hard drive to a new drive, whereas the copy over method takes some stand alone data such as images and documents but not all data such as held within apps.

I suspect the issue is that there are many different 'flavours' of android that results may vary.

I upgraded my hardware for a larger screen, and though they were both from the same manufacturer running version 13, the data didn't transfer.

6 hours ago, 96RAF said:

It appears to depend upon if the transfer software on the old-new devices is a copy over or clone method. The clone is more akin to when you migrate your PC hard drive to a new drive, whereas the copy over method takes some stand alone data such as images and documents but not all data such as held within apps.

It is neither a clone or copy over. My tablets have completely different processors not least one is 32 bit and the other 64 bit and the device drivers in Android are the specific responsibility of the manufacturer.