Why is everyone quoting posts in replies?

On the previous forum, a lot of advice was given to not unnecessarily quote replies, rather use the text box at the bottom of the page and the green reply button.

What’s changed?  It now seems de rigeur to quote posts in replies, even when the reply is immediately below the post.  Although I will admit that it is handled far more elegantly now.

Irrespective, I shall continue to not.

Edited by Fishmanoz
Grammar
  • Like 2

• Fishmanoz changed the title to Why is everyone quoting posts in replies?

You may have it right Fishy.  It is elegantly done.  Plus, new forum, new behaviors.

Many social media chats have a problem.  It is difficult to follow a conversation when there are many responding to many, in one thread.  Even with addressing, a  conversation within that thread is hard to follow. What, precisely, are is a correspondent responding to? The only social media that beautifully resolves this issue is Reddit.  The tree structure provided by Reddit is awesome.

Quoting a snippet from an individual not only addresses the individual, but shows exactly what is being responded to.  That I like.

🐝 <--- a bee

• Like 3

At least now you can make multiple directed quoted posts and if you requote the whole post the window rolls up so as not to steal,the whole reply page.

Edit - if you highlight a bit of original text there is a pop up option to quote that selection, or you can copy a bit of text then click the quotes icon in your reply and paste your selection there. Same effect at day's end.

• Like 2

I have noticed the tendency to quote entire long posts has crept back, maybe people don't realise they can edit the quoted text in the grey section?  

If a topic seems to be particularly active and there's a risk of another reply jumping in while I'm typing then I may chose to quote the post immediately above to ensure my reply is directed, otherwise I don't feel it's necessary. 

Edited by ntpntpntp

I waited a few days, so as to illustrate the point a bit more clearly.

÷÷÷÷÷÷

Suppose I say: My comment was in regards to the format, not the content.

Who am I replying to?  If you have been reading this thread in detail, you may know.  Yet a casual reader would not.

I occasionally encounter this behavior here.  A comment that seems disconnected, an ambiguous response.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Suppose I say: @Aussie Fredmy comment was in regards to the format, not the content.

Okay, it is clear I am addressing Fred, but what am I discussing?  Its unclear.  You could go back and re-read the thread, looking for what Fred said.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Suppose I say:  

On 17/04/2024 at 03:06, Aussie Fred said:

if only Reddit contained actual facts and truths

And I reply with @Aussie Fredmy comment was in regards to the format, not the content.

So now, with the quoted snippet, not only does Fred know he is being addressed, but Fred can also know the meaning of the response.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

I could take this one step further, placing my reference to the Reddit tree structure of comments, then Fred's statement and my response.  But I will hold off on the dreadfully obvious.

÷÷÷÷÷÷÷÷

Finally, my apologies Aussie Fred, for using you as a strawman.  I do understand your point about Reddit.  It is indeed filled with nonsense.  Please do not take any umbrage with my remarks here.  The intention is to illustrate addressing individuals and quoting, not to conflate your statement.  Thank you for your understanding 

Bee

Edited by What About The Bee

Bee, can only agree with clear comms on here and that on occasion quoting posts helps. My point is mainly about the unnecessary instance of quoting posts immediately above, like this one. And then there are straightforward topics where it is clear if reply is to a post considerably above. 

4 hours ago, What About The Bee said:

Finally, my apologies Aussie Fred, for using you as a strawman.  I do understand your point about Reddit.  It is indeed filled with nonsense.  Please do not take any umbrage with my remarks here.  The intention is to illustrate addressing individuals and quoting, not to conflate your statement.  Thank you for your understanding 

Bee

That OK Bee, I have broad shoulders, one needs them when carrying the weight of the world on them.

All I know about Reddit was when someone on another forum mad a rediculous claim, quoting someone one Reddit, and it was rubbish - never happened, never could happen, but a dozen people agreed with him.

• Thanks 1