LMS Black 5, and "Going Home" pack questions

Hi a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with:

1. Is the new release black 5 significantly different to the 2015 model in the Going Home pack ?

2. Could someone let me know the Hornby R numbers for the high detail LMS Stanier coaches to match the ones in the set should I wish to extend the train ? 

Thanks 😊

I've noticed the valvegear has changed.

For the bodies already established, I've not seen any significant difference, but the running plate should now be metal (metal boiler now?).

With such a substantial 'retool' Hornby seem to be replacing their previous 5-pole, no flywheel motors with 5-pole with flywheel motors - Merchant Navy, Coronation, Princess Royal to name a few.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Thanks 1

Whether they are an exact match you will have to decide for yourself but other super-detail LMS coaches listed in Pat Hammond's British Model Trains catalogue are: 1st - R4230/A/B and in train packs R2659 & R2985; 3rd - R4231/A/B and in train packs R2659 (2), R2907 & R2985; brake 3rd - R4232/A/B and in train packs R2907 & R2985.  Also, there are the Airfix-designed slightly less well detailed 12-wheel dining car R4095/A-E/G, the bogie passenger brake/parcels van R4233/A/B and the 4-wheel CCT van R6640/A.  The catalogue has not been published since 2013 so others may have information regarding more recent releases.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Cheers guys, with the numbers provided I have located some of the same series coaches, and although you can see the nicer detail on the new release loco, I actually think I prefer the older one as its less garish ! it also seems the older ones are superb runners from the you tube channels I found so I am sorely tempted !

Edited by Too Tall
typo

My Black 5 arrived yesterday  - direct from Hornby.

It has some nicely painted pipework and, it would seem, a die cast running plate. The boiler feels plastic.

Weight of loco: 261 gms

Tender  :        101gms 

Haven't looked inside the tender to learn why it is comparatively heavy. For comparison with  my other Hornby Mixed traffic 4-6-0:

GWR Grange loco: 215gms

Tender:             73gms

Sounds like the original tooling is generally used in the tender - perhaps the upper moulding has been updated?

I say this as the Stanier tenders - Scots, 8F, 5MT - always had a very 'meaty' metal weight in them.

Al.

Recently got a second-hand 8F from eBay  🤔 . Haven't tested it yet, but could do the weigh-in and then  post comparison  photos of the two tenders.

Have they modified the connection between loco and tender? If they have that would explain some of the differences. A modern 8F/Black Five will have a different tender weight to that in an old 8F as it contains the DCC socket. On an old model it is just a rectangular lump, the modern one is a lot more complicated, the same as fitted to late Scots/Duchess and Princess tenders.

31 minutes ago, ColinB said:

Have they modified the connection between loco and tender? If they have that would explain some of the differences. A modern 8F/Black Five will have a different tender weight to that in an old 8F as it contains the DCC socket. On an old model it is just a rectangular lump, the modern one is a lot more complicated, the same as fitted to late Scots/Duchess and Princess tenders.

I watched a video on the tube yesterday and yes, it has the new loco to tender connection.

Finally bit the bullet today and ordered an alleged BNIB Going home set for less than the cost of the new tooled Black 5.

Having recently received a GWR 61xx Prairie of the same manufacturing era, and being perfectly happy with the detail on that, 3 coaches with nem pockets and the older black 5 seemed the better deal for me as I still have a lot to get ! I also got a SH 3rd (described as mint) and a NIB 1st to add to it,

I guess I should get some track to run them on once I have finalised my board sizes 😁

It's a pretty high-profile model 'though - should be more effort to avoid so many combined problems - on-in-four or not.

There's obviously a lot of development from the previous 'super detailed' issue, with many / most original ideas still maintained.

The valvegear is obviously different, particularly by the cylinders / sliders.

The running plate is an obvious potential improvement - tempering / cooling should not have warped it, so this was a pity as well.

Put simply, the Black 5, with all 842 full scale iterations, has long been one of my favourites, and most memorable from childhood, but the video has certainly calmed thoughts of considering a purchase.

Al.

My going home set arrived, and was indeed new sealed and mint.

It did have an issue .. no pickup working on the loco wheels (tenders were fine). After taking the loco apart to find no issue, I then found culprit in the tender ... a  wire had broken off the 8 pin board, a quick re-solder and all is well 😊 I am  perfectly happy with the older model !

So it turned out that an  old "Super detailed" 8F tender is a bit heavier than the the ,fairly weighty, new Black 5 one.

Well it does contain a  weight. Coal load was missing though  😐  (beware of eBay vendor using term "Lovely Loco").

As for the Black 5 , I  now doubt its die-cast credentials.

IMG_20240420_111249414.jpg

IMG_20240420_111708437.jpg

On 21/04/2024 at 17:53, atom3624 said:

It's a pretty high-profile model 'though - should be more effort to avoid so many combined problems - on-in-four or not.

There's obviously a lot of development from the previous 'super detailed' issue, with many / most original ideas still maintained.

The valvegear is obviously different, particularly by the cylinders / sliders.

The running plate is an obvious potential improvement - tempering / cooling should not have warped it, so this was a pity as well.

Put simply, the Black 5, with all 842 full scale iterations, has long been one of my favourites, and most memorable from childhood, but the video has certainly calmed thoughts of considering a purchase.

Al.

Hmmm...not so sure. Here is the second video I saw of the loco drive failing. Go to 12:30 Its not great is it? I have the full sound/steam version on order and TBH this isnt inspiring confidence. What dos Hornby say about the connection and bent running plate issues?

There seems to be a common problem with the tender socket for the loco / tender connector.

Sam used his P2 2007 tender to test his locomotive.

This implies an inherent problem with the electronics in the tenders - might be a simple fix - snagged wire in 'routine production' - which should have been picked up - no pun intended! - prior to despatch!

Al.