TT:120 Track Plan Book

Rallymatt

This is my 6x4 layout. It has 3 separate loops - 2 x express lines and 1 x local loop (slow traffic). They are radius 4, 3 & 2, the curve into the points is a 1. The long straight has a double platform station.

Test II.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, david_watts1 said:

What is 3.25mx1.25m in real money???🤔🤣

Roughly 10.5ft by just over 4ft. I was brought up on Imperial as well, and still find it easier to think in that way, especially with board and room sizes. In fact the Real Railway actually still gives both measurements in regard to safety aspects such as how far to stand when keeping a safe distance from a passing train. Metric measurements only became standard in schools from 1974 onwards, and I left in '75 so never came across them when at school (none of my A level subjects included the need for measurements before anyone asks!).

On a model railway front ever wondered about that strange 1200x600mm board size that's often quoted on baseboard manufacturer websites? Well it comes from the good old 4x2ft board so beloved by modellers back in the day, supposedly as an "easy to carry" board when making layouts that can be transported around! Some even quote it as 1220x610!

Edited by Hobby11

We all know @david_watts1 was teasing so no measuring system arguments please; it’s OO v TT wars all over again 🤣🤣
@Hobby11 I started infants in ‘70 its was 100% metric, the North East has always been very progressive 😁

Back to layouts, these are a some incredible designs and so varied; Lots of sizes and nice to see some big layouts in there, TT:120 is compact but means a some scope for long runs too. 
If this keeps growing at this rate we can publish our own TT:120 Track Plan Book 🤣. On a serious not I mentioned Roger (Admin) at some point we could maybe collate all the plans with dimensions (metric) covert to Hornby Geometry (?) and have as a pinned resource for the forum. We could even send it up to Hornby Towers. 

54 minutes ago, Rallymatt said:

We all know @david_watts1 was teasing so no measuring system arguments please; it’s OO v TT wars all over again 🤣🤣
@Hobby11 I started infants in ‘70 its was 100% metric, the North East has always been very progressive 😁

Back to layouts, these are a some incredible designs and so varied; Lots of sizes and nice to see some big layouts in there, TT:120 is compact but means a some scope for long runs too. 
If this keeps growing at this rate we can publish our own TT:120 Track Plan Book 🤣. On a serious not I mentioned Roger (Admin) at some point we could maybe collate all the plans with dimensions (metric) covert to Hornby Geometry (?) and have as a pinned resource for the forum. We could even send it up to Hornby Towers. 

Hornby has confirmed the hard copy book included with the Hornby mag will be uploaded to the website as a PDF - if that affects your proposed scheme. Collating member schemes into a PDF is a good idea and one which the late Chrissaf would have excelled at. Just needs a capable volunteer to step into those shoes.

4 hours ago, Rallymatt said:

I started infants in ‘70 its was 100% metric, the North East has always been very progressive 😁

You youngsters! If you'd have started in the 60s like me it would have all been imperial!! Though we did get told what metric was, just didn't use it! 🤣

22 hours ago, Hobby11 said:

You youngsters! If you'd have started in the 60s like me it would have all been imperial!! Though we did get told what metric was, just didn't use it! 🤣

I have to say, as an American, TT really does work well with Imperial units. Ten feet in real life equals 1 inch in TT. That conversion makes things so easy. I imagine that’s part of the reason 1:120 scale was selected by its US designers back in the day. It’s arguably the best scale for easy Imperial calculations.

Though, the scale’s use is pretty much nonexistent in the one market that might appreciate it… 🤣

• Like 3

Who knows maybe the growing interest in TT across Europe may spark a US revival in the scale. I’m sure for many US modellers the same advantages would apply, I’m sure the majority of Americans don’t live in a place the size of ‘SouthFork’ 😁

• Like 1

It seems to me that most American modellers either have lots of space — typically a (large) basement — or live in an apartment and have very little space. This may account for the popularity of N and Z in the USA — it's one of a very few countries with commercial support for Z, and of course US trains are often longer than in many other countries.

I'm not sure that @Rallymatt's layout is that Freezer-like — there's surely nowhere near enough track for that!

6 hours ago, Generic Hornby Username said:

the scale’s use is pretty much nonexistent in the one market that might appreciate it

And the country from which the 1:120 scale originated... H.P Products 1945

• Like 1