Hi

Applied matt varnish to my spitfire which i have done on previous models. However just stayed on white and not gone please see picutre.

Can anyone help me with how to fix this please.

Also what matt varnish would anyone recommend 

Thanks

Spitfire.jpg

• Sad 1

It looks like the varnish has been applied too thickly with a brush. Which varnish is it? Matt varnish has a tendency to separate and requires vigorous stirring to ensure the matting agent becomes suspended in the carrier fluid, which helps give a consistent flow. I use Vallejo 27651 Polyurethane Matt Varnish and usually spray it on, but it can be brushed too.

• Like 1

I agree with @Ratch it probably needed much more stirring, and apply more thinly.  The ambient temperature and humidity can really affect the drying too.
To be honest not sure how to correct the problem.  I suppose if it's not fully dried/cured yet you could try brushing whatever thinner is recommend for the varnish and see if that softens and removes any of it?

Goodness, which company's varnish is this? I've had a good old Humbrol rattle can of varnish crackle my paintwork because it went on too 'hot' but have never seen such an effect as you have experienced. 

I would get some thinner on a cotton bud as quick as possible and see if you can carefully remove it as an art restorer may tackle the varnish on an old master.

Failing that, a light sanding and a repaint would probably work, although you'd need some new decals for roundels. It may be that it's one of those things you'll have to put down to experience and if pennies are available, you have another go. I often find my second build of a kit even more fun as I know what's coming up! 
1628086131-41473600.thumb.jpg.ef6376c5cb964d771a51808486c02ece.jpg

As for recommended varnishes, if as I you use acrylic paints, then I can't recommend Vallejo's matt varnish enough. It brushes and sprays on beautifully and unlike others, I've NEVER had any issues with it. The standard recommendation, however, tends to be to stick to one manufacturer, i.e. use the varnish that your paint provider supplies. This way they, in theory, shouldn't conflict. I find that once you find a manufacturer you like, and you build up a stock of paints, you rarely switch and so others on this forum will no doubt have other recommendations.  

• Like 1

No, I use several brands of paint on one model - Humbrol, Vallejo, Revell, Tamiya - all covered by the Vallejo Matt Varnish. Sometimes, when I want a more Satin finish, I add a little Klear to the matt in the airbrush cup.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ntpntpntp said:

The ambient temperature and humidity can really affect the drying too.

True, I've had bad results in hot, humid weather with Humbrol and Vallejo. Worth bearing in mind.

12 hours ago, Tour de Airfix said:

Goodness, which company's varnish is this? I've had a good old Humbrol rattle can of varnish crackle my paintwork because it went on too 'hot' but have never seen such an effect as you have experienced. 

I would get some thinner on a cotton bud as quick as possible and see if you can carefully remove it as an art restorer may tackle the varnish on an old master.

Failing that, a light sanding and a repaint would probably work, although you'd need some new decals for roundels. It may be that it's one of those things you'll have to put down to experience and if pennies are available, you have another go. I often find my second build of a kit even more fun as I know what's coming up! 
1628086131-41473600.thumb.jpg.ef6376c5cb964d771a51808486c02ece.jpg

As for recommended varnishes, if as I you use acrylic paints, then I can't recommend Vallejo's matt varnish enough. It brushes and sprays on beautifully and unlike others, I've NEVER had any issues with it. The standard recommendation, however, tends to be to stick to one manufacturer, i.e. use the varnish that your paint provider supplies. This way they, in theory, shouldn't conflict. I find that once you find a manufacturer you like, and you build up a stock of paints, you rarely switch and so others on this forum will no doubt have other recommendations.  

Hi it was Vallejo Matt Varnish 70.520, I had used it before on 5 other planes without a problem

15 hours ago, Ratch said:

It looks like the varnish has been applied too thickly with a brush. Which varnish is it? Matt varnish has a tendency to separate and requires vigorous stirring to ensure the matting agent becomes suspended in the carrier fluid, which helps give a consistent flow. I use Vallejo 27651 Polyurethane Matt Varnish and usually spray it on, but it can be brushed too.

Hi, it was Vallejo Matt Varnish 70.520, I had used it before on 5 other planes without a problem

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Digger_61 said:

Hi, it was Vallejo Matt Varnish 70.520, I had used it before on 5 other planes without a problem

How did you put it on? With a hairy stick or an airbrush? Where in the world are you? Is temperature a consideration?

Without a full picture we can only guess. I've never had anything like that. This was my worst with Vallejo - I didn't stir enough...

51169160722_2cc25549e9_c.jpg
51169160787_9d8653c661_c.jpg
51170929480_611fa1d053_c.jpg
51169160762_690c461a29_c.jpg
51169160752_d4e39b70a3_c.jpg
51169160742_73c6d317ab_c.jpg

On 22/04/2024 at 15:38, Ratch said:

How did you put it on? With a hairy stick or an airbrush? Where in the world are you? Is temperature a consideration?

Without a full picture we can only guess. I've never had anything like that. This was my worst with Vallejo - I didn't stir enough...

Hi 

Fairly new to all this having just taken it up again after 50 odd years! 

As per my pervious builds use a brush, I'm in the midlands Notts, so not much to worry about about the temp.

Have posted some more pics after quite a few passes with thinner and then a wash it is a lot better. Have now ordered a new model to try again. 

20240423_162332.jpg

20240424_102448.jpg

@Digger_61   ah good, so applying the thinner had some effect. 

Next time make sure you stir the varnish 2-3 times longer than you think you should 🙂  I usually thin down varnish when applying by brush, just by dipping the brush into a decanted pot of thinner as I work.  Naturally it always needs thinning if airbrushed. 

nice recovery there digger looking a lot better.

9 hours ago, Digger_61 said:

I'm in the midlands Notts, so not much to worry about about the temp.

I'm a bit higher than Notts not too far and last years high temperatures and humidity was a bit of a problem when building i use humbrol clear varnish and just didn't gloss anything till the temperatures and humidity came down, clear can go white when its humid or damp air I've not used Vallejo varnish yet.

On 21/04/2024 at 17:06, Digger_61 said:

Hi

Applied matt varnish to my spitfire which i have done on previous models. However just stayed on white and not gone please see picutre.

Can anyone help me with how to fix this please.

Also what matt varnish would anyone recommend 

Thanks

Spitfire.jpg

I used to make and rebuild fishing rods, and I used to get a similar problem, which was caused by a lot of moisture in the air, along with adding the varnish on too thickly, and these two things meant that moisture was trapped in the varnish, and the only way to deal with it, was to remove the damaged varnish, and start again.

While I am not certain that this is your problem, I do believe that there’s a chance that it is, so I would suggest that you use a dehumidifier during the winter and wet weather, especially if you had this result in the winter or during wet weather in the summer.

Jon.

• Like 1