A small terminus somewhere in the Midlands - shelf layout

moawkwrd

Hi all,

As mentioned in the track plan thread, I’ve been working on this alongside my other continuous layout to make use of the Scale Model Scenery baseboards I have and Peco track from my first attempt at a layout.

Basics used are the BB017 and 2 of the BB039 kits. I have two left hand medium and one right hand small point from Peco and some flex track. 

Edited by moawkwrd

Posted (edited)

Didn’t want to clog up the first post -

So I imagine the setting to be somewhere in the midlands as a likely place for a HST and Class 50 to meet while a Class 08 trundles by.

I came across these photos whilst researching the setting which I definitely intend to recreate - 

Class 50 HST Move.

But this is the kind of vibe I’m aiming to capture -

Class 86, 50 & HST at Birmingham New Street in 1985

The plan is almost identical to Shelfie3 which Paul Marshall-Potter has documented on his excellent blog https://albionyard.com/. There’s heavy influence from Ian Futers 3 point layouts there including Victoria Park and Fisherrow. I’m not sure I can in anyway hold up to their excellent modelling but I’ll try!

IMG_0671.jpeg.a5a1df6f088043e420e13c2d56c988ac.jpeg

Total length is 190.2cm x 22.1cm

Control will be DC I think, to start with at least.

And the progress so far!

IMG_0669.thumb.jpeg.305c1f6385bd762aae27bc68fc5b82b8.jpeg

Just spent a few hours tidying up the baseboard with some new cork covering, and then placing the track and adjusting some of the lengths. Not sure yet on the scenery options but seeing all the card kits being used with TT has given me some ideas. You can see my sketching of Vulcan Foundry from the original plan still there… one day maybe!

Got a couple of shelf brackets and more cork coming tomorrow and I imagine I can get the wiring done this weekend with any luck.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Paul made a neat timelapse of a schedule being run on Shelfie3 which is what appealed about this kind of end to end layout. 

Hopefully we get a DMU in the next few years.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 4

I will watch this with interest. I have a few SMS baseboard modules (not built yet but the quality and design are impressive) that have just arrived for a TT:120 layout and I have been thinking of a diorama for OO.

Edited by dBerriff
add missing word
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, GMD said:

Excellent @moawkwrd  Already like the sense of vertical scale. So often we forget just how tall real life is! 

Thanks, yep that’s the aim. There might be only the slightest sliver of sky in the backscene or none at all depending on what building kits I can clobber together.

This project looks very interesting so I’ll be watching with interest. The time lapse video really shows off the way it can be used to simulate realistic movements. You’re right about the DMU - we need one, it’s probably time we all hounded Hornby to bump it up the roster 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just wondering why the Midlands — class 50s and HSTs suggest the West Country to me…

50's and HST's both worked into Birmingham New St on cross country services.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just wondering why the Midlands — class 50s and HSTs suggest the West Country to me…

2 hours ago, Irishmail said:

50's and HST's both worked into Birmingham New St on cross country services.

Yeah, and my aversion to all things GWR. I kid!

Midlands to me is just more suitable a setting for a crammed in, built around station than the West Country. In all likelihood, it’ll end up being set everywhere and nowhere depending on what rolling stock appears in the future.

I am aware that picture of the Class 50 hauling the Mk3 and Class 43 is from Penzance though. I just really liked it.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 06:53, StuLarge said:

Ahhh the basis of the ‘Ant & Dec’ tower blocks overlooking St James Quay 🤣 These are great for getting height. Like many buildings, blocks were made to fairly standard designs so fit in anywhere. I did a bit of research of Newcastle tower blocks to find the pale yellow finishes. Glazing and a back sheet to give impression of an interior make a big difference on these, I did some lighting in various flats too, still need to knock it back a bit with another resistor. 
I wouldn’t get too hung up on very specific detail of what locos and stock ran where and when, particularly as the range is limited even though it’s growing. 99% of hobby has always been running trains people have or like in more or less convincing situations. The layout size lends itself to that high rise urban environment of the Midlands 😁

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Progress this weekend - Wiring plan done and SPST switches ordered with some more wire. 5 isolated sections to hold locos should be enough - likely the 2 in the fiddleyard won't be used that often.

UnnamedTTShelfwiring.thumb.jpg.ebb68c0b482276a0b4e162aff8a5c785.jpg

However, as it turned out I was able to reuse much of the odd lengths from before. Could definitely be better but it works.

IMG_0677.thumb.jpg.35ebd3ea127142c006993e92369ab384.jpg

And now in situ above my desk with the Model D close to hand. 😁

IMG_0680.thumb.jpg.648ce1bc27f34c43d1bf0c9bfb63c66d.jpg

One thing that annoys me about the baseboards is that they're not the same depth. I don't understand why so I had to jack up the fiddleyard with some spare bits of wood for the time being.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Like 1

The Scale Model Scenery baseboards have two different formats which aren’t the same dimensions. I bought one of the photo/shunting planks which is completely different to the baseboard in a box. Rather annoying. I’ll probably do something similar to you when I have time and money spare. My 15 year old washing machine broke down on Friday and I’ve had some (house!) plumbing issues, so my credit card balance is high and current account low! 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Moccasin said:

The Scale Model Scenery baseboards have two different formats which aren’t the same dimensions. I bought one of the photo/shunting planks which is completely different to the baseboard in a box. Rather annoying. I’ll probably do something similar to you when I have time and money spare. My 15 year old washing machine broke down on Friday and I’ve had some (house!) plumbing issues, so my credit card balance is high and current account low! 

Bad timing with all the models incoming!

I’ve just seen that they do a different single/twin track fiddleyard now which matches the depth of various baseboard kits of theirs. When I bought mine they only had one kind which only matches the height of one of their baseboard kits - looks like they realised that it didn’t make much sense and have now listed which ones they work with on the respective pages. 

Edited by moawkwrd