Couplings problem

Hi all,

I'm new to Hornby and have just started acquiring some locos via the net.

So far I've bought a Flying Scotsman, a Duke of Gloucester and a 72xx tank. BUT, they all lack couplings.

I need help in finding out which coupling is for what loco AND how they are fitted.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

Specifications may vary, particularly with Flying Scotsman as there are so many different versions.  Please advise the R-numbers (e.g. R3128 for your 72xx tank as per previous posts and advice already given).  Have you checked the Accessory/Assembly bags that come with the locos: these often contain couplings?

R3244 is covered on Service Sheet 405 (search on the Product Support section of the Support drop-down menu above for Service Sheets but use the full catalogue number R3244TTS) which shows the need for a R8219 NEM coupling head on the bogie and an X9289 NEM coupling head & pocket on the tender.  Class 31 R3262 is not yet  covered on a Service Sheet but Sheet 276 for earlier releases quotes X9289.  As the R8219 coupling heads are part of the full couplings in pack X9289, one of the latter packs should cover all your needs including R3128 as per your earlier post.

R3503 should also be X9289 NEM couplings.  Online images show only the tender coupling fitted so that for the loco is likely once again to be in the Assembly Bag (possibly together with other detailing parts for the loco - pipes, steps, etc.).  The Operating and Maintenance sheet which accompanies all locos when new may show how they are fitted. 

Hi

I am used to running HD 3-rail trains on my 3-rail layout. I'm now building a 2-rail layout to run DCC.

Some of the locos I've bought from the net lack couplings. Now I understand from your responses, modern couplings consist of a pocket and the coupling itself. But I find there narrow, medium and large couplings just to confuse me more.

I would appreciate some guidelines on these and how there are used fo different locos etc.

Alan

Posted (edited)

The most important thing is not to mix narrow & large - almost guaranteed derailments if you do.

The narrow ones are intended for rakes of modern stock - wagon pockets with ability to flex & coach pockets mounted on an extending/centring cam system.

The large are compatible with older (Triang to 90s) wagons & coaches (& railroad range with fixed pockets) where all movement has to be accommodated in the coupling hoops themselves.

I don’t know the purpose of the medium ones - perhaps others can advise about those?

Edited by LTSR_NSE

I would recommend thinking of "medium" as a slightly less obtrusive type of wide. I can back up the statement that mixing non-NEM with NEM is unreliable. Best avoided if you can.