We are sooooo lucky and still there are those who moan!

I was tidying up my stash and I found a "kit" I had come across in the early seventies.  This was a Hurricane produced by Bateman's.  The wings were blocks of balsa wood as was the fuselage.  The tail and fin were cut from sheets of balsa; there was a small sheet of brass, a brass rod three plastic things that passed as "wheels" , a tinplate prop, wooden spinner and vac formed canopy.  They did provide a plan but you had to shape everything.

And today we moan when a rivet is in the wrong place!

Bateman.jpg

IMG_20240430_100600.jpg

IMG_20240430_100614.jpg

Bateman's 2.jpg

• Like 2

Balsa, a marvelous material for making simple yet enjoyable models. I've scratch built aircraft and ships out of the stuff. Nowhere near the detail of styrene models but I liked building them all the same.       Regards, Jeff.

Thanks for sharing Patrick. 

Interesting that it was 1/72nd scale. I believe that was the scale used for the allied WW2 aircraft recognition models. They were typically painted black but yours has decals and camouflage is recommended.

Ratch said....But its not plastic 

This is too funny, as I vividly remember in the fifties my father saying of our plastic kits..... But its not balsa!

Tim

• Haha 2

I've often though that plastic modelling would not have taken off as a hobby had injection moulding not come of age just after there had been two world wars and a consequent leap in aircraft technology in particular. The vast majority of plastic modelling subjects are aircraft, military or both; if we had no subjects to model,  would we build models? Maybe we'd all still be flying kites, or collecting cigarette cards and Man in Flight coins from petrol stations.  

People have always been building models ....................It's just that when there were no planes most times they built boats ......!  They would build them out of anything at hand:  wood, bones, clay  etc:  Some of their models are museum quality  😊

image.jpeg.9f17368c43c42bb434a65ffddacfa0af.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34cff31c36c5312ee79ce4f2ffaa75ed.jpeg

• Like 1

I have just been reading the reviews on the airfix heinkel HE 111 P-2 and there are loads of 3 star reviews and are all related to part quality an the level of hardness? For example one of them say the little windows on the side were too fidly and needed work to get them to fit, but isn't that what modelmaking is all about. Or that it is missing two crew members, but you can't see them when they are in the aircraft so what is the point in printing them?

People like a moan James, especially the Brits.

The plastic comments make me laugh actually. I've had no issues with any kit new or old, Airfix or other, in relation to the plastic's rigidity.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 20:37, Sailorman said:

People have always been building models ....................It's just that when there were no planes most times they built boats ......!  They would build them out of anything at hand:  wood, bones, clay  etc:  Some of their models are museum quality  😊

image.jpeg.9f17368c43c42bb434a65ffddacfa0af.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.34cff31c36c5312ee79ce4f2ffaa75ed.jpeg

Whether anyone likes it or not, model making is the oldest recorded hobby in history. And is vital even for the awful infrastructure that’s built today.