Model Railway - What's your latest acquisition?

bulleidboy said:

I think there speed steps?

Both of these CVs can be used in conjunction with CV2 (Vstart - the starting voltage) to set a simple speed curve.
CV5 is called "Vhigh" and can be used to limit the top speed of a

loco. Very useful for those little 0-4-0 "pocket rockets".
CV6 is called "Vmid" and can used to set the mid speed.

The list of CVs is on the NMRA site http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/pdf/S-9.2.2_2012_10.pdf

walkingthedog said:

I didn't used to like it unless it was a blue A4 but when I saw the King at Didcot I was swayed. It didn't take much of a sway either.

I've also got a soft spot for express blue. Got an A4 and a Duchess.

Would like an A3.
They look great pulling blood and custard coaches.

The King is also very nice, but I'm trying to limit myself to LMS and LNER locos.

Hi

My latest acquisition is a Triang 0-4-0 diesel shunter in BR green.

I need a reliable small loco for a station pilot that's going to be up to the job.

I have found the modern small locos don't have the weight to do the job.

regards John

That being the one on the Steeple Cab / Nellie chassis?

Buz said:

Hi

I need a reliable small loco for a station pilot that's going to be up to the job.

I

have found the modern small locos don't have the weight to do the job.

regards John

LC&DR said:

That being the one on the Steeple Cab / Nellie chassis?

Buz said:

Hi
I need a reliable small loco for a station pilot that's going to be up

to the job.
I have found the modern small locos don't have the weight to do the job.
regards John

Hi LC&DR
That's correct no idea what the R number is.
I do have the dock shunter but that would just be silly as a station pilot,
and

because of the very short wheel base would be temperamental at best.
I had wanted a steeple cab for a short 2 x 9"(I think)coach suburban working
Until I saw the sort of very silly prices being asked for them.
Will have to look at a Terrier since

the coaches are green.
regards John

Yup, the Tri-ang diesel 0-4-0 shunter is a nice little shunter, it would make a good club or railroad model. Catalouge number for the loco is R.559, it was also realed in train sets in vairous colours and as a clockwork model too. The rarest version is

the bright red R.858 Battlespace version, usually as part of the Satellite Set, I was fortunate to come across an individually boxed example of the battlespace shunter some years back so a few must have found their way into boxes.

The son of Triangman said:

Yup, the Tri-ang diesel 0-4-0 shunter is a nice little shunter, it would make a good club or railroad model. Catalouge number for the loco is R.559, it was also realed in train sets in vairous colours and as a clockwork

model too. The rarest version is the bright red R.858 Battlespace version, usually as part of the Satellite Set, I was fortunate to come across an individually boxed example of the battlespace shunter some years back so a few must have found their way into

boxes.

Hi The son of Triangman
And the blue one is R???
Guess how I know these shunters are good ones:-))
Am I correct memory wise that the blue one was in a set with insul fish van blue and open wagon green with short brown brake van.
regards

John

I have got a few Steeple Cabs including the red one, but the pantographs are the thing that suffers and it is hard to find one with a good one, hence the high prices. I have some non-Triang pantos that can be made to fit, but they are incorrect of course

with double collector strips. Similar story with the EM2. I have one of each original - fortunately I got these before the madness set in.

Hornby no longer make a locomotive with diamond pantographs, it would be nice if they did (E5000 electric perhaps).

Back to latest acquisitions. Mine go back a bit since they were the lovely Hornby Sandringham (top marks! The equivalent in quality from a German company would be at least double the price and more...(I pity German railways modellers in this respect, certainly

not for the quality of their models) and going back a little further in time, the other company's limited edition GCR Butler Henderson, that also gets top marks. The latter induces me to appeal, as others have done before, for more, more and more smaller mainline

engines. Pacifics can be marvellous and most of them are, but why do I feel there are enough of them. How many more A1/2/3 and A4 variations are we going to have to put up with? And they are generally too large for most layouts. So let's have more 4-4-0's

and Atlantics from the big four and in pre-grouping livery.

Actually today I went to the Harrogate toy fair, and got -

R355R No 9 'Polly' (Sorry WTD)

R54/R32 Class 23 Pacific in excellent condition

R38 Spare tender for 34051

Jouef 1-4-1R

Jouef 2-3-1K - I did threaten to start collecting French

stuff. The detail is very good, better than I expected.

M709 RMS Ivernia

M711 RMS Carinthia

There was a boxed original Rovex train - set (pre-Triang) for £180. The coaches were showing signs of Banana-ing, but the box itself looked OK. Didn't

buy it though. Already have the contents unboxed and in better condition.

Hi WTD

The France was a beautiful ship and internally she was streets ahead of anything else around at that time, even beating QEII (internally one of my favourites was 'New Amsterdam' but that's a different story.)

I got a good range

of photos on her first visit to Southampton as the 'Norway', including one showing a guy doing a painting of her in oils. I saw the finished original about 4-5 years ago and it was not a let-down.

Postman Prat said:

Hi WTD

The France was a beautiful ship and internally she was streets ahead of anything else around at that time, even beating QEII (internally one of my favourites was 'New Amsterdam' but that's a different

story.)

I got a good range of photos on her first visit to Southampton as the 'Norway', including one showing a guy doing a painting of her in oils. I saw the finished original about 4-5 years ago and it was not a let-down.

Hi PP

I

never saw the ship as Norway but did see France many times, what a beauty. Only trouble with the Minic version is that it doesn't have the wings on the funnels. Might make some and add them if I can find a good drawing of them.

Unboxed, fair condition, very few chips, but minus masts and derricks. I have just made out an order to Steve Flowers for replicas. Carinthia is a bit dusty but Ivernia is clean.

I restarted collecting them only recently but have done well in toyfairs

where some dealers really have no idea about what they are. They can sometimes turn up at the bottom of a box of die-cast cars.

I do buy the new ones, but agree that they are not as good as the old Triang ones.

walkingthedog said:

What

condition were the Minic ships in LC?

I've stopped buying them now, got the one I didn't get when I was a boy SS France a few years ago. Sometimes get the odd Navis warship. Last one I got was a Navis LCI(L) and a Mercator Normandie.

I forgive

you for buying Polly.