Hornby 2015 Range Announcements

Jeremiah

Yeah I know PP that's why I said 'or at least used to'. There a several other companies now aren't there.  I can remember it was very difficult to get airliner models. My mate and me got a DC8 and a TU104 kit from somewhere, they cost a fortune compared with Airfix, were about 1/200 scale and absolute rubbish. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the same in the r/c model aircraft arena, there are multiple manufacturers with kits of the venerable Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito, and many others, in various scales, accuracies, colours, markings, etc. But if you try to find some obscure aircraft, the considered market is too small to be worth  having a production run.

It's the same in the r/c model aircraft arena, there are multiple manufacturers with kits of the venerable Spitfire, Hurricane, Mosquito, and many others, in various scales, accuracies, colours, markings, etc. But if you try to find some obscure aircraft, the considered market is too small to be worth  having a production run.

That is therefore in direct contrast to the OO rtr model railway scene. If it followed model aircraft policy , the main-stream manufacturers would each produce a model of a LM Black 5 4-6-0 (842), a GW 57xx (772), a WD/BR 2-8-0 (733), a LM 8F 2-8-0 (666), a LM 4F 0-6-0 (580), and a LM 3F 0-6-0T (417) , and  a LNE B1 4-6-0 (409). Numbers in brackets indicate maximum number in class during the period 1948 - 1968. Only two of these classes are duplicated.

Stretching the point a bit I could add -  a Midland 3F 0-6-0 (324), a LNW/LM 7F 0-8-0 (319), a LNE J39 0-6-0 (289) , a LM/BR 4MT (Fairburn) 2-6-4T (277), a GW 49xx Hall 4-6-0 (258), a BR 9F 2-10-0 (251), a L&Y '27' 0-6-0 (245), a LM Hughes/Fowler 5MT  2-6-0 (245), a Caledonian 'Jumbo' 2F 0-6-0 (238), a GC/LNE O4/1 (213), a GW 43xx 2-6-0 (220),  a GW 94xx 0-6-0PT (210), a LM 4MT (Stanier) 2-6-4T (206) and finally a GW 56xx 0-6-2T (200). Here again only one of these is duplicated.

No Southern types ever exceeded 200 in a single class, and none of the LNE Pacifics did either. 

Isn't an Adams Radial an 'obscure' type?

Carn't get excited over next years range alas. This year's stuff would be nice, waiting for J15's and Clauds still.

The class 71 would be great for me if I had not already paid up-front to someone else to make it instead. However I suppose I can find room for two. The 700 is not on my mainstream list but I may buy one just because it is a Southern type, and as I already have a 0298 and I have an O2 on order as well. The 0415 might interest me especially if it comes out in East Kent Railway colours as No.5, it really depends upon whether Hornby or Oxford do it like that first. The LMS Horse Box and the 21 ton Hopper will of course be added to stock.

The J15 may be added as they could easily work a cross London freight, and I do have a J39 already.

Do we know if the Warley announcements were 'it' or whether the 17th will reveal even more goodies?

I must admit that I think the new items are reasonable and I can see me getting a few items. I have pre ordered 2 Brits, a Crosti and some baccy items. I fancy the radial tank, just because it looks good so far. As for the brake van a £3 something it is limited to a small area and was not used over the network. Todays bargain was the Pullman brake coaches at £8.99. (Railroad).

Well, not a bad turn out, although few items that are high on my personal wish list are here, the selection does offer a good spread of steam locomotives. Shame that the Adams Radial duplicates the Oxford announcement, and I am curious to note that the class 71 does not appear, has common sense prevailed now that DJM have already announced theirs?

The S15 and J50 are both surprises, and are excellent choices, which should prove popular. (I can see me getting at least one of each, even though they were not South East locos)

The 'Queen of Scots' all steel K type Pullman cars in Super Detail were a real surprise, as these cars have been a Hornby staple product for a very long time but to a very basic and low detail form , and this upgrade will be a perfect accompaniment to the main range LNER / BR A4 and A3.

LMS Suburban coaches will be popular, but with the LMS 2-6-4Ts out of the range at present there isn't really a locomotive to match, although the 2P might just do it at a push.

Wagons are still a long way behind the competition for variety, the LNER/BR 21 ton coal hopper is welcome, (well done Hornby), will we see the welded steel body versions and low brake and vacuum braked varieties in years to come, I wonder? Nice to see the BR standard 20 ton goods brake in bauxite again.

Hi

Not a lot for me AGAIN. Only waiting for the K1 which seems to have slipped into the country without notice and has sold as fast as it arrived. The J50 is only suitable for exGNR lines.

Couple of interesting notes: the BR horsebox has a 'condemned' symbol on it.

5043 Earl of Mount Edgecumbe has an early crest on the tender, yet she wasn't fitted with a double chimney till May 1958 !!!

I missed the K1 too. Not to worry there will be more arriving. I didn't notice the condemed on the horsebox. I wonder if whoever went ahead with that realised what the sign meant? Slip up with Earl of Mount Edgecombe then. Just as well as well we have eagle eyes for these small but important things. I notice that it carries the late yellow warning flashes. Is the real loco carrying the early crest?

Maybe the Earl is as preserved. Lots of pictures of it with early crest and double chimney. 

I think you are right WTD. I have had another look at the "condemned" sign and it looks a bit too neat. So is there another meaning for it and not condemned?

By the way WTD I did get my bolster wagons OK just in case you missed my reply in the whinge thread.

I missed the K1 too. Not to worry there will be more arriving. I didn't notice the condemed on the horsebox. I wonder if whoever went ahead with that realised what the sign meant? Slip up with Earl of Mount Edgecombe then. Just as well as well we have eagle eyes for these small but important things. I notice that it carries the late yellow warning flashes. Is the real loco carrying the early crest?

Hi Vespa

I don't know another meaning for the 'COND' although I agree it's very neat.

The preserved 5043 has the early crest (or, at least, she did have on my 62nd birthday in 2010, when I photographed her) so it looks like Hornby have produced a preserved Castle rather than one from the Steam Era

Still, no-one will ever know !!

ps I started my reply before WTD posted which is why you've got another post on this

Archived