R.104 Cattle Van

Hi,

Can anyone tell my why it says on the Hornby The World of Thomas the Tank Engine R.104 Cattle Van, why it has the words 'TO BE RETURNED TO LEWIS', printed on the botom of the doors?

There is nobody in Thomas called Lewis, so I really don't understand why this printed on this cattle van, both sides.

Can somebody help? Thanks.

Ah, that could be the reason why. So what colour were they, in Southern Region livery, of the same type from the 1980's?

If Hornby did repackage them though, in a Thomas box, why didn't they remove the 'TO BE RETURNED TO LEWIS' printing? That is just not needed on a Thomas cattle wagon.

Don't forget that wagons travelled all over the system from region to region. The Island of Sodor is the North Western Region of BR and there is a rail connection to Barrow in Furness across Walney Island for the interchange of traffic. (Refer to "The Thomas the Tank Engine Man " by Brian Sibley. ISBN0434969095) so it would be perfectly acceptable for wagons to appear bearing all maner of "Return to" branding so that the railway staff knew where to send it back to for another load when emptied.

... Not any book illustrations ...

Jacob,  We know that the picture is of a wagon.

WTD is suggesting that in the Thomas books, it may not have been obvious that there was writing on the wagon.

Yes, it says Lewes, not Lewis! I must have been tired last night, when I wrote this. I am sorry for the incorrect information everyone.

@LC&DR

You are probably correct there. Hornby could have printed it on these cattle wagons, to add some play in it as a bit fun for adults and children, to pretend were they need to return to, when they travel to Sodor (The consumers' layout).

No Jacob they printed it on the wagons because they are models of Southern Region wagons that would have been returned to Lewes after reaching their final destination. Hornby just used the wagons as they were for the Thomas Range as well. That's the reason. Nothing else, the end. 

Archived