Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bottle of Tamiya grey primer and thinners. Also finally brought home the Revell 1/96 scale Cutty Sark. I tried the sistership way back in the 1961 and never finished it. I think my mother finally gave it to the milk-man. Those white ribbs (Devils) scared me for life (No masking tape back then.) Hopefully I'll do a better job of this kit.

Remember we do this for fun                                    John the Pom

It's all John's fault - I've gone a brought the Airfix 1/72 05281a RAF Rescue Launch  😉

Well, based on mine (original tool date, but red box), there's one easy impovement. Ignore the oval cabin windows and use Clearfix after painting but before adding the shrapnel pads if using. You get easier painting and a better looking model.

Thanks Paws for that tip, as every time I see the lainch in my stash it gets nearer to the work table.

Went to buy some Vallejo primer at my not too LMS and ended up in a new hobby shop across the road and saw they had a selection of Zvezda figure sets. and they were cheap. I'd made three of these previously, all in soft plastic and wasn't expecting much from them as they are basically game pieces; was I wrong, they made up into beautiful little set piece dioramas, and the fit was something to behold especially as they are push fit. Well; I came away with four kits, two Luftwaffer ground crew sets, a BMW motorcycle & side car set, & a Pak 40 with crew set and I'm going back for more. These new sets are now in the usual hard plastic so the parts can now be glued although they are still push fit. If you've never tried these little figure sets to yourself a favour and try one if you see them.

Also brought 3 bottles of primer and 4 new colours to add to my paint library.

Remember we do this for fun                              John the Pom

@ Ratch and John Summons

Yes those little diorama sets are lovely and a very varied selection. You only get between 4 and 6 figures per set but still well worth the money. I have a few sets myself and will probably be adding more to my collection!

Just arrived this morning from Airfix; the Panther tank and all five WW1 figure sets from the 'Classics' series. I was really pleased to see that they had all been moulded in  similar coloured plastics as the originals. Everything moulded in grey can be a bit of a pain sometimes. Having to brush paint white or yellow over a darker plastic can sometimes take four or five coats. Things were a lot easier in the days of kits like the old Sunderland, Catalina, Phantom and Buccaneer. Lets hope a bit of plastic colour variety can return in some more cases.

Finally ..... found the Airfix 2018 Catalogue on the bookshop shelves.  Bought myself a copy ....it will join my other 56 or so issues dating from 1962!

It's a bit late to be buying the Airfix 2018 Catalogue, isn't it? 2018 will be over before you know it and 2019 will be here, very soon.  🤔 😉 😆 😀 😎

GNR-Gordon-4

Just arrived dfirect from Airfix ........

/media/tinymce_upload/224348ae35421ff36444eb50040ce608.jpg

The H.P. Victor K.2 Tanker! I dont think it'll be staying in my stash for long?

Oh and I almost forgot, this arrived last week.

/media/tinymce_upload/5804cf4060bca91a8ffc44d12449ced8.jpg

The MPM Lockheed Hudson and Mask Set. It looks pretty good but I only got it whilst waiting for Airfix to give the Hudson the new tool treatment  😀  

Finally ..... found the Airfix 2018 Catalogue on the bookshop shelves.  Bought myself a copy ....it will join my other 56 or so issues dating from 1962!

It's a bit late to be buying the Airfix 2018 Catalogue, isn't it? 2018 will be over before you know it and 2019 will be here, very soon.  🤔 😉 😆 😀 😎

GNR-Gordon-4

Some of us collect the catalogues

It's a bit late to be buying the Airfix 2018 Catalogue, isn't it? 2018 will be over before you know it and 2019 will be here, very soon.  🤔  😉  😆  😀  😎

GNR-Gordon-4

Some of us collect the catalogues

I only got the catalogue a month ago.

@Ratch; Posted at 09:27:54 Thu, 6 Sep 2018 (UK time)

It‘s funny how people collect things like catalogues! Apart from the year printed on the cover, it’s useless as a catalogue, but for a collector, it’s not.

The only catalogues I collect are model railway catalogues. I don’t have any Airfix catalogues.  😳  😉  😆  😀

GNR-Gordon-4

It's a bit late to be buying the Airfix 2018 Catalogue, isn't it? 2018 will be over before you know it and 2019 will be here, very soon.

My wife often says I'm nuts ......... 

I have all the catalogues from 1962 to date barring one or two which I am still trying to buy!

My wife often says I'm nuts .........

😆

I have all the catalogues from 1962 to date barring one or two which I am still trying to buy!

Try eBay. I reckon you will get the catalogues you need, there.

GNR-Gordon-4

The 1981 Catalogue doesn't come up very often, and when it does, it usually goes for £100+

In Dublin for work last week, and dropped into (shameless plug) Mikes Models in the city centre.    A lovely old fashioned model shop, with an eclectic mix of kits, including some older Airfix kits lurking in corners.

I ended up with two Italeri kits: 1/48 AD-4W AEW Skyraider (including RN markings) and A6E Intruder, plus the Airfix/Humbrol "Front Line Fighters", a Tornado and a Jaguar, both in 1/48, plus paints etc.    Not one I had ever seen before, and a snip at 30 Euros:

/media/tinymce_upload/cd7db9e6061c403c290ce06be29ce043.jpg

Then yesterday into my LMS for paints, resisting the temptation of the Silver Wings Walrus, and got persuaded to take the Revell Horten 229 in 1/72.