Airfix - What's your Latest Acquisition?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I found this in my local shop the other day for £24.99. It's a previously owned kit and some parts are off the sprues but it's complete. I did buy four other kits as well due to "ERNIE" (remember him?) being generous last month.sdc12876.jpg

Won these on e-bay to supplement those in the kit in my stash. Most pictures I've seen have many more pontoons than the six with the kit.
forum_image_6266d50092faa.png.ff4d8a0a007be8a54ecf8be23a4e72ad.png

I think mine (in the "Road to Berlin 1945" set) has only five pontoons. I suppose you could join a couple of bridges together to make a longer bridge as well.

I have been fascinated by the Flakturms since the Berlin Underworlds' Tour we did of the remains of a G Tower at Gessundbrunnen.

I'm working on a Modelcollect 1/72 Flak 40 Zwilling at the moment, there's a build thread here: https://brexitmodeller.com/forums/topic/26879-modelcollect-172-flak-40-128mm-zwillingsflak/. Modelcollect were supposed to be issuing a 1/4 tower in 1/72, but so far all I have seen is the proposed box art. Like you I'm fascinated by the Flakturm, I'd like to visit any of the surviving towers - they're near indestructible.

On the Takom theme, this arrived a couple of weeks ago.

forum_image_627001bf43504.png.e777f52574a0acf8ac4824b4d619686e.png

An impulse purchase at Station Gamers store, Kilmarnock of HMS Victoria exactly like the one I built as a kid. Only went in for paint!

Hi Ian, That's always fatal. The words "just popping in for a chat and to see what's available" come out of my mouth and I eventually leave with a kit (or two) and less money in my pocket. I discovered my local model shop was selling some pre-owned kits. They were from the local modellers club. One of their members had, sadly, died and he'd left his kits to them. They were selling to raise money for charity. I bought two and went back for three more (it would have been rude not to).

I found this in my local shop the other day for £24.99. It's a previously owned kit and some parts are off the sprues but it's complete. I did buy four other kits as well due to "ERNIE" (remember him?) being generous last month.sdc12876.jpg

I built one last year

forum_image_6270279f6da46.png.20c72f3621cd0b4a60fb4d717d629440.png

forum_image_627027a0793ed.png.b59764395e34b0a08aa4b10412058ff4.png

I built one last year
forum_image_6270279f6da46.png.95c15bf3acde1c796f5368db6617a73c.png

forum_image_627027a0793ed.png.48335f4e4c7dc06311de37443ab47249.png

That looks great. Very inspiring.

Bargain!

it was ratch they were asking £15 for it tried to get it for £10 but wouldn't go any lower than £12 but it was still sealed inside and decals are in good condition so that another one added to the stash

Hi Rod, the Forum Rules are on the right of the screen and I try to comply with this bit under guidance from the other Mods

• Discussion of non-Airfix brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.

If Airfix do not make a specific subject and another manufacturer does I'll buy that product. It has no impact on Airfix sales as I couldn't buy it from them in the first place. We realise that in the real world modellers build non-Airfix kits.

Do you plan upgrading the Lightning model or is it stash material?
I remember getting that kit meaning to upgrade with some of the more recent Airfix Lightning kits. Just haven’t got round to it and it is somewhere in the depths, must rethink my plans and make it.
These days I seem to take more time in making a kit but quality of finish about the same as when I did it all quicker. Still getting satisfaction from hobby but it is changing.

It will be built in the fulness of time...

Hi Rod, the Forum Rules are on the right of the screen and I try to comply with this bit under guidance from the other Mods

• Discussion of non-Airfix brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
If Airfix do not make a specific subject and another manufacturer does I'll buy that product. It has no impact on Airfix sales as I couldn't buy it from them in the first place. We realise that in the real world modellers build non-Airfix kits.

Is that why my comment has "disappeared"?

forum_image_627d1e4e2215b.png.0e38699fd5c4c83ed989bafea56ef170.png

A few of you might have glanced at a post I added recently (‘Vintage Classic Bristol Bulldog’) about my first attempt at biplane rigging. Well, I must be a glutton for punishment, because I saw this Hawker Demon at an unavoidable price, so even though I can see through the blister-pack that the decals are totally shot, I thought I’d have another go at a silver biplane with a need for rigging. But I’ll finish the new tool kit that I’m currently working on first!

This is my attempt. I'm not sure whether I used kitchen foil or chocolate foil for the metal cowling. To fix the foil I painted both the cowling and the reverse side of the foil with varnish. When that was tacky I placed it on the cowling and rubbed it down with a cotton earbud.forum_image_627d4cca41d8e.thumb.png.7b3b8fee2119557c32f5a04baa747df5.png

This is my attempt. I'm not sure whether I used kitchen foil or chocolate foil for the metal cowling. To fix the foil I painted both the cowling and the reverse side of the foil with varnish. When that was tacky I placed it on the cowling and rubbed it down with a cotton earbud.forum_image_627d4cca41d8e.thumb.png.be9b6c11137a0294776da1d43654e4f9.png

An interesting technique - how successful would you say it was...did you achieve the look / level of finish you were hoping for? I must try it myself!

Ed,

You seem to have posted multiple copies. Please remember that pictures have to be cleared by the moderators and much as we would like to we can't be on the site all the time. It takes a bit of time for your pictures to appear. grinning

Also remember to press "post reply" once and to wait a bit. Again, it takes time for the post to load. When you press it multiple times we end up with multiple copies of the same post!

Having said that ....keep posting and make sure you let us see pics of your build.

PS: Yes, I think the metal foil on the model looks good in real life! wink

Ed,

You seem to have posted multiple copies. Please remember that pictures have to be cleared by the moderators and much as we would like to we can't be on the site all the time. It takes a bit of time for your pictures to appear. grinning

Also remember to press "post reply" once and to wait a bit. Again, it takes time for the post to load. When you press it multiple times we end up with multiple copies of the same post!

Having said that ....keep posting and make sure you let us see pics of your build.

PS: Yes, I think the metal foil on the model looks good in real life! wink