The Hornby designer obsessed with progressive rock

Rule 1 Applies

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike Alexa at least I know the difference between "Gilbert O'Sullivan" & "Gilbert and Sullivan". But that still doesn't make me like Opera 😉.

@Jacob..........Yes, they do work......do you actually own one?.........My Amazon Alexa works brilliantly........it understands everything I and my family say and answers most sensible questions........it's particularly useful for conversion of weights & measures, weather forecasting and trending news.........also I have video conversations with my daughter, totally free of any call charges........... 😀...........HB

Oh, and it plays all the music in my Amazon library on demand.......loads of Jazz, R&B & Rock & Roll......... 😛

My car voice command works just fine. I just don't bother to use this gimmick because pressing the buttons on the steering wheel boss is a lot quicker.

Cortana works on my Win 10 laptop, well at least in terms of understanding my voice and accent it does. It just isn't very AI (Artificially Intelligent), it usually ends up just replicating what I ask in a Google text search. Which I could easily have done myself.

@howbiman

No, I don't have an Alexa and if I did, I am unsure exactly what I would do with it! They are quiet expensive and I would spend the money on my hobbies, to be honest with you.

I have tried using an Alexa that belonged to a friend and it didn't what I asked it to do. Perhaps this was becuase I was not used to the device. I am unsure of the reason why, but I don't want one and I don't feel that I need one.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I am a fan of MP3 and converted my physical collection to this format . 700 tracks on a usb stick for the car helps drive safely as you don't need to take your eyes of the road to change cd's after 12 tracks or so .

However ,I was wondering what is used inside the locomotive to create TTS sound .Is it a mp3 track ?? 

Maybe somebody knows and can enlighten me and others .I wonder if it can be edited ?

Jacob once again you have criticised something you don’t own. We have an Alexa, cost £30 which is not expensive, works a treat. Plays music, great when we leave the dog on its own, acts as a timer, very useful, can access hundreds of radio stations, answers questions which means you wouldn’t have to say 'never heard of that'  😉, excellent and fun gadget.

@walkingthedog

Brian, I was criticising the Amazon Alexa. I want to make that perfectly clear. I was just saying that in my very small experience of using these devices, that they do not what I think they should do. Perhaps I was not using the correct tone of voice, I don't know. For me though, it did not work, but I was not criticising it.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

OK, I will have a look for it.

UPDATE:

I'm sorry but the only time I listen to music is when I'm driving my car. Also, I do not ever listen to the radio as when they never music that I like and I also do not need a timer. If I do need a timer, I have one on my phone and tablet.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

WTD - I cite the "Tic Tac Toe" scene from the film "Wargames".

"The only way to win is not to play".

A bit cryptic I know, but I'm sure that you will work it out.

Jacob,  i dont  think you stopped at not wanting one. You condemmed an extremely good product, as not fit for purpose, as usual, knowing nothing about the product, and its massive potential..  Nobody has to have an Alexa, but those who have, are delighted with them.