Hornby 2020 range will be revealed on...

JeremiahBunyan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My modern image mind is thinking more class 156 liveries are likely and a new 91 to compete with Cavalex. I think there's also a possibility of a Avanti West Coast pendolino and maybe some of the new stock just introduced with Northern and TPE. The GBRf 50s I agree are also likely. Maybe also a HST farewell pack (maybe sir Kenneth Grange or the LNER full original livery one). I am thinking maybe TPE 802 and plain blue with black nose as per Hull Trains and some TPE. Maybe also some special livery 800s such as the LNER with Scottish flag. I also think maybe a Transort for Wales class 153 could be announced. Maybe TFW Mk4s and DVT too and a TFW 67. I wouldn't be surprised if yet more class 66s are announced too! Maybe EMR branded stock might be announced as well. I also expect there will be more Network Rail stock too and perhaps more railroad HSTs.

These are just my thoughts/expectations of what I have thought Hornby may produce.

My modern image mind is thinking more class 156 liveries are likely and a new 91 to compete with Cavalex. I think there's also a possibility of a Avanti West Coast pendolino and maybe some of the new stock just introduced with Northern and TPE. The GBRf 50s I agree are also likely. Maybe also a HST farewell pack (maybe sir Kenneth Grange or the LNER full original livery one). I am thinking maybe TPE 802 and plain blue with black nose as per Hull Trains and some TPE. Maybe also some special livery 800s such as the LNER with Scottish flag. I also think maybe a Transort for Wales class 153 could be announced. Maybe TFW Mk4s and DVT too and a TFW 67. I wouldn't be surprised if yet more class 66s are announced too! Maybe EMR branded stock might be announced as well. I also expect there will be more Network Rail stock too and perhaps more railroad HSTs.

These are just my thoughts/expectations of what I have thought Hornby may produce.

Sorry about bad punctuation and grammar.

If I were to take a wild guess, 2020 being a big year for Hornby, I think we'll see th following:-

- Stephenson's Rocket

- APT-P

Good guess.

I suspect if they did do these it will have to be new tooling because all the old tools were reported to have been scrapped. 

I hope that (a)  they produce open carriages (the blue ones) as well as the closed ones (yellow ones)  to go with Rocket, and (b) there will be  intermediate carriages for the APT as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Its going to be fascinating to see what finally is launched; there are so many old favorites and with so many liveries, the assets can be sweated.

I would buy an APT, but I think unlikely sadly. hornby would have expected DJ Models to take that spot I think and thats now gone.

Time for the Networker to reappear? Multi liveries possible and DCC ready, ah, be great to have interior lights added and the extra coaches so a 4 car set possible.

But not to get off track, I am expecting to see lots of packs which mean higher turnover and use lots of the exisiting range.

And, I am hoping as a British Rail era modeller that the Class 91 is retooled, or at least added to the Railroad range si I can easily ugrade my older Ringfield motor versions.

Lots to choose from, but what about those things promised two years ago that haven't appeared yet.

There is a kind of illogic about what has and hasn't appeared  The 48Ds, the class 66 and the new Terrier all new tooling, or at least re-vamped tooling in the case of the 66,  seemed to have galloped to the shops, but the BR blue Merchant Navy has taken nearly two years!

I placed my order for one on 9th January 2018 with Hattons. It is after all a pre-existing set of tools, only the livery is the significalt difference. It cannot be the blue paint because the new Princess will be coming out in that colour shortly. 

Can anyone explain?

Its going to be fascinating to see what finally is launched; there are so many old favorites and with so many liveries, the assets can be sweated.

I would buy an APT, but I think unlikely sadly. hornby would have expected DJ Models to take that spot I think and thats now gone.

Time for the Networker to reappear? Multi liveries possible and DCC ready, ah, be great to have interior lights added and the extra coaches so a 4 car set possible.

But not to get off track, I am expecting to see lots of packs which mean higher turnover and use lots of the exisiting range.

And, I am hoping as a British Rail era modeller that the Class 91 is retooled, or at least added to the Railroad range si I can easily ugrade my older Ringfield motor versions.

The Class 91 if they don't retool is being made by Cavalex Models.

I wonder if the Merchant Navy tooling was the tooling that got thrown away. It seems unusual that they cannot release the BR blue Merchant Navy, when in effect it is just a repaint of an existing model. I mean they keep doing it with A4s. I didn't realise that the BR blue Merchant Navy was meant to be released last year, I assumed when I saw it in this years catalogue that it was new for 2019. Unless of course they are doing subtle changes to the cab.

Perhaps what they could do in the catalogue it have a symbol that tells you if the loco has lights, just like the Rails website does and possible if there are fittings for a loudspeaker. Also perhaps a bit more detail, it is like their latest HST, at first glance it looks like it is the same as their previous versions, it is not until you read this site you realise it is a heavily cost reduced item (dummy car does not have lights).

I think possibly a revamp of hornby's dcc control range...

A number of items in the range have become scarce ( reverse loop... ), there are rumours of the elite controllers being unavailable...

Perhaps symptoms of a new series of controllers, software and accessories about to launch.

Maybe the long awaited loco detection included.

And personally, I would love to see more of a focus on the late 19th century... stuff with real character! ( which would also require appropriate scenery items, figures, horse/carriages and carts etc... )

WTD

Damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Folk will moan about speakers anyway they choose to go, even if they provided a box of bits to rummage through and fit. When you buy a full fat sound decoder you do not normally get a speaker with it as that choice is down to you.

As for the dearth of units around. This is a normal ebb and flow as stocks run out and are resupplied. You can find these units in ample supply around the web. My local model shop always has some.

You are right RAF96 if Hornby didn't supply one, people would moan. Some of my locos use the speakers that come with the TTS, others have sugar cube speakers where the standard speaker didn't really fit. The one Hornby supplies is really usefile, to check that the TTS is working correctly before you change the speaker, I do feel a bit guilty about this big pile of scrap speakers I have. It seems wrong to throw them away but I am probably never going to use them. On the locos where Hornby have done a decent job of making provision for them to fit, they work well. The thing I do think is unforgivable is where Hornby have gone to the effect of providing a speaker fitting, but the speaker doesn't fit, or your cannot get the tender top back on, I mean why bother they might as well not wasted their time. 

@ WTD....

What, not on the catwalk?

You are doing yourself down I think...

Maybe a new career beckons? 😉

I had all sorts of fun with a Hornby 28xx 2-8-0, one of the new type...

I really couldn't get the tender top to go back on, no matter where I positioned the TTS decoder...it was just that bit too thick.

In the end I carved a chunk out of the coal space, so the decoder fits now, and is covered by the removable coal load...

Sarah, you won't see WTD on the catwalk, he's one of the people out the back with a mouthful of pins doing the last minute adjustments - that's what he means by Modelling skills!  You sometimes have to be tender to get the top back on one of those. 

But later, much later, when all the models and others have gone home, that's when things get interesting. He has the whole wardrobe and catwalk to himself. He turns the Stones up loud on the expensive sound system and that's when he really walks the dog!

The trouble is with not getting the tender top back on, yes if you mess around enough you can probably get it on and that includes cutting bits of plastic to gain more room. The other thing is there is a very sensitive piece of electronics on a PCB that can easily crack if you put too much pressure on it. So most of us are careful, I can't remember which Hornby loco it was, but using the right speaker in the Hornby space for the speaker fouled the bottom of the coal bunker. I eventually used a sugar cube speaker, as it was the easiest solution. So yes you probably can always get the tender top back on, but do you want to risk shorting the module or breaking the tender mounts. Quite frankly on a nearly £200 model, I don't think you should have to.