Have you also seee the New "Bassett-Lowke Steampunk Models"???

JJ73

Not only do I want items from the new 2020 Range but aslo I've just seen the Bassett-Lowke Steampunk Models - which are pretty c 😎 😎l - Which I also now want - 2020 is going to be a pretty expensive year Model Loco wise!!!

/media/tinymce_upload/a6c695cef3353dc4e909fd106ef16384.jpg

It's just the Loco's, Wagon & Carriages which I'm after & NOT any thing else!!! I.e. boats, Subs, etc!!!

A fact being bourne out on other model railway websites.

Aimed at the younger market - which is why it goes over my head - there are plenty of folk who think it a master stroke. Apart that is from some of the buildings which seem to have just had some cog wheels glued to them.

R-

Steampunk can be extremely complex in its interpretation of a wide range of future-past ‘stuff’. The logic appears to be what evolved future ‘stuff’ would be like in times past. There are excellent examples of this well done and other example of complete rubbish supposed to represent the genre.

Lets hope Hornby / Bassett Lowke has picked the right horse as their consultant ‘expert’, else the real experts will immediately slate the new products as rubbish.

Clagging a few cog wheels on something does not hit the mark unfortunately. The add-ons need to be possibly feasible and engineeringly possible.

One needs to study the work of Roland Emmett or Heath Robinson or read H G Wells to see what lies behind Steam Punk. Heath-Robinson provided more realistic rendering of ingenious solutions to technical problems, whereas Emmett's work was much more fanciful, sightly rustic, and in many ways more artistic. 

Wells gave us 'The Time Machine' and 'Moon Rockets' long before the Apollo programme. and 'The Nautilus' as portrayed by Disney is ondoubtedly in the 'Punk' camp. Emmett's influence could be seen in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and the sweet factories in this and in the Willy Wonka films are certainly borderline Punk. 

The Emmett railways would make a remarkably good series of models for people who like the esoteric. There have been some excellent scratch built models of these in the magazines over the years.

Fantasy model railroading is certainly great fun, and although I would be concerned if it was allowed to dominate the hobby, it has its place.

/media/tinymce_upload/34bd0b8fcc8385fd976d950eecf2d75c.jpg

An example of Emmett's work.