Captain Tom named locos

96RAF

Question for LC&DR no doubt...

The good Captain (now Colonel so OOPs change that sign) Tom Moore has had two locos named for him.

Has this ever happened before - concurrently. I know various different locos have been named for dignities but never as far as I know at the same time.

/media/tinymce_upload/0cf3c6631b3fa5c631b02d7093c8e937.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/555db00494ef82cb4a85c0043344ef87.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just managed to order one.  It was an ordeal as I imagine the volume of interest was really testing the boundaries of the Hornby site for a while!  Definately keeping this one, not profiting from.  Excellent gesture from Hornby with £20000 to the NHS fund.  It's like i'm getting a train for £34.99 and donating £40 to the NHS.  Win win.

Hi all. I tried to order for nearly 3 hours and got all sorts of error messages and failure to check out on Thursday afternoon and gave up. Just logged in to the forum at 1-30 Friday morning before putting my light out and clicked on my basket. The loco was still there so followed check out route and checked straight out successfully. I reckon the site just could not cope with the surge of orders earlier. Might be worth others disappointed trying again.

In answer to RAF96's question at the top of this thread, naming two or more locomotives the same at the same time is rare but not unknown.

Unfortunately since privatisation the different train companies have named power cars and driving cars willy-nilly, so I have given up trying to keep tabs!

However in historical terms with real locomotives here are a few examples ,

"King George VI"  carried by King  6028 and Princess Coronation 46244

"John Milton" carried by Metropolitan Bo-Bo No. 9 and Britannia 70003

"Prince of Wales" carried by V of R No. 9 and A3 class 60054

Other non-personal duplicates include -

"Cameronian" carried by 46113 and 60040

"City of London" carried by 46245 and 61670

"Gordon Highlander" carried by  46106 and 62277

"Merlin" carried by 60027 and 73080 although from different sources

"Sandwich" carried by 45641 and 60039

"Spitfire" carried by Castle 5071 and BoB 34066

and quite a few with names after the same person but arranged differently such as "Lord Nelson" 30850 and "Nelson" 45664. There are a few of these.

There have also been examples of a name being carried by successive locomotives.

So the email said "Limited edition of 500 - £20,000 to charity"

This morning the website says "Limited edition of 1500 - £40,000 to charity

Anyone from Hornby available to explain the different numbers?

(Can't tell you what the website said yesterday due to it being constantly on its knees, and getting the order placed being my priority)

I spent four hours trying to access the site, and kept getting a blank white screen. Gave up at midnight.

Tried again at 6 this morning, and they appear to have all ben solld.

Oh well.

Same here, was trying from about 3pm to midnight, kept getting 504 error. Once or twice made it to checkout but was bounced back to the listing page. Tried this morning and all sold out. 

Not sure why it needs to be limited edition anyway, surely the more they sell the more money gets raised. 

So the email said "Limited edition of 500 - £20,000 to charity"

This morning the website says "Limited edition of 1500 - £40,000 to charity

Anyone from Hornby available to explain the different numbers?

Does it really matter, Hornby rarely look at this forum so I doubt they will. Perhaps they decided to make more because of the demand. Maybe they'll increase the amount again. 

They announced on FB that they were making more due to phenomenal response, which was affecting the website.

If they have any sense they will take max advantage of the opportunity and increase their donation to charity as well.

BB,

Thanks for the heads up, I have just pre-ordered one of the additional models. Total quantity now 2020. Quite agree with your sentiments; although I have never agreed with honorary awards by academic institutions this one I fully support.

Not a great lover of modern traction, but I have ordered this as a keepsake about a truly inspiring man.

Honory titles! Many people will not worry about that, I'm sure he will always be remembered as Captain Tom !

In the words of the poet, "Old soldiers never die"

Well done to the rail companies and to Hornby for making his memory even better.