Boxes - do you keep them?

atom3624

Age old, but still valid, but bear with me ....

Coaches:

Railroad, I probably won't.

Super Detail - YES.

Locomotives:

Always.

I'm certain I'm not the only person who will remove a locomotive, use it, perhaps display for a while, check the lubrication, then return to storage - replace with others.

Thing is - here's the point ....

I accept many do NOT fit the detailing parts, but quite a lot of us do - I certainly do where practicable.

PROBLEM:

Many storage boxes now have to be butchered to permit ongoing storage of locomotives where the detailing parts have been fitted, to avoid damaging them / the locomotive.

Generally there's no consideration for cylinder drain-thingys, and 9 out of 10 cannot accept a locomotive if the brake rigging has been fitted.

I think this is very short-sited of the manufacturers - mainly Hornby - not producing models with appropriate packaging to permit continued storage / rotation of locomotives.

I always have to butcher the 'Ice Cube' packaging, and often the previous polystyrene ones as well, just to permit me to return a locomotive into safe storage.

Thoughts and experiences?

Al.

Hi Atom,

I am a terrible horder.

I keep every box for almost everything I buy. Especially model trains.

I think that one day, I might need some cash, and stuff sells better if it's in it's original box.

My latest, (Stevenson's Rocket) is a prime example.

No wonder I have a problem with spiders !

Kev.

The OP was more 2 points - didn't want the title to be too complicated.

Keeping boxes - enough.

The main point for me, how many of you have problems replacing into storage after 'their turn' on the tracks?

This can only happen if you don't fit any of the extra detailing parts with most of the manufacturers' packaging, and particularly Hornby.

The post R2339 Mallard A4 packaging requires modification if you have fitted the drain-thingys.

ALL ice-cube packaging requires modification if you've fitted any of the detailing parts.

Conversely, I find Bachmann packaging generally accomodates the locomotive, even after fitment of the additional detailing parts.

Al.

Barry, Hi, yup, spent days doing it all in a book, which i have now misplaced. Turned house upside down, without success.   Not yet willing to give up, on finding it, but,  resigned shortly to doing it all again. Heather started putting on computer, but had only done one page. Absolute  disaster.

I thought about an Excel Spreadsheet, but that could have a total spent figure - could be used in evidence 🤐

When constructing my layout, I was able to fit 1000mm B&Q Kitchen Base units with doors and legs underneath my boards, so all boxes, whether full or empty are neatly stored. I still lose boxes!

I list references, manufacturer, date of purchase, price paid, functional / not, sale price ...

It was supposed to give my heart a reality check every so often - still doesn't work!!

I save the family from too much of an invasion into the house, so display cases are out, for now.

This is why as well as keeping the locomotive boxes, I modify them to ensure safe storage, without damaging the detailing parts - it's often trial and error with new toolings / unknown models ...

Al.

I keep all boxes and long term store my models in them and obviously for transport.

Once the layout is fully stocked the boxes will be stored like John does in plastic crates in the loft area of the train room.

I intend to build storage cabinets under the layout once I am fully convinced I won’t ever have to crawl under there again to poke wires about. I have mounted most things topside but there wiring transits under the boards and some terminal blocks live under there as well.

I had to list all my kit for insurance valuation purposes including the boards when moving to Cyprus and I just keep it up to date as I buy more stuff including layout building materials. I use Excel, which is handy (and horrifying) as it can tot up what the total layout is worth.

I keep all the boxes, just in case I ever have to sell them, plus they are very useful to store them in when I am not using them. I must admit in the past, I have paid stupid amounts for Wrenn boxes, but when you notice the difference in price in a second hand one with and without box, it is worth it, plus storage is easier. I must admit though, I doubt I will ever be getting rid of those. I have recently sold a lot of of my 80's Hornby stuff and the price I got didn't seem to change much whether it was boxed or unboxed. It only seems to matter if it is very rare or just a couple of years old. I use Excel to keep track of my locos, it is useful to list and assign DCC numbers. 

An interesting subject Atom.....

I don't have a layout set up so all my stock - last 35yrs or so - lives in its boxes. Anything older than that which is my childhood Hornby/Triang/Lima is in large communal boxes. The original boxes long lost to my model enjoyment as a child. I really should get rid of it all but as it has sentimental value it lives on in a dark corner of the loft..............

I always add detail parts - why wouldn't you - and then modify the box to accommodate the model. I've never had any issues with damage, however, I must say I prefer the polystyrene tray and polythene 'sling' to the ice cube type packaging.

My biggest frustration is the size of packaging which in many cases is completely unnecessary. I think there is a tendency for smaller producers to equate a larger box with a more prestigious product..................I just think its a waste of space. 

Interesting comments and thanks for contributing.

Agreed, some 'smaller manufacturers' do seem to exaggerate the boxes - once there's a bit of foam, it'll be protected enough.

I always fit detailing as well.  Extra if necessary / where possible - older newer (if you know what I mean - Chinese then) Coronations for example I'll add the little slither windows on the cabs, and find aftermarket draincocks.

MN's - I use the brass draincocks available aftermarket ... these generally fit nicely in the polystyrene split-tray boxes, as stated above.

Al.

Accessories supplied with a Hornby loco. are welcome as far as I am concerned and they get fitted.

However, there are times when an adhesive is required. (the steps may fall off).

What adhesive do you recommend? I am never sure what to use. My models are in a display case.

I keep my boxes - the boxes which are Train sets - I keep unused Track, Controllers in & if I need any more track I know where to look for...

Also I've had a look but couldn't find which vid it was, but Sam Trains has found a company which will make a box to put Locos in - made of strong Cardboard & inside has foam around the edge & also has foam square so you can make the space inside large or small depending on the size of the Loco!!!

I've kept all of the boxes, but it's a royal pain packing everything back into original packaging when I need to move the layout so I can use my garage workbench.I'm therefore thinking about getting one or two of these Space Cases.

You just dig out the foam, (which is sectioned with a vertical cut grid) to make recesses for whatever you're storing. I'll then line out the recesses with corrugated cardboard to stop bits catching on the foam.Should fit 6 full length mainline loco-tenders in or 12 tank locos or Class 08 diesels or equivalent.I'll then keep the original boxes (in the loft). They're $AU79 or about £45 each.

I keep all my boxes, irrelevant of their condition. If buying 2nd hand items I will always go with a boxed example over un-boxed. I have 2 large wardrobes full up with both boxed stock and empty boxes. I have also got an Excel spreadsheet which so far hass 700 items on it, it not complete as yet as I am still going through my stock. For items that are not boxed or are in use, I use 70mm deep trays to keep them in, so I never have too much stock "floating" around.