Hornby on Yesterday TV Channel

rvinalaff

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting episode last night. Of interest to me was the TTS decoders, so it appears it is as I said ages ago that they are all the same they just program them with the necessary loco sounds. The thing I didn't realise was that the sound system was separate to the main decoder but that makes sense. I am sure the three of them trying to diagnose the issue was just for the cameras, even so it was still enlightening.

Still even with reprogramming, they can't get the 'chuffs' even close!

8/revolution for a LN - that was doing 3/revolution!

Should be 'all bells and whistles' as per Dapol Black A4 at a silly price, with smoke, or DCC - poor synchronisation would drive me mad!

I know some exist, at a price which are synchronised, and perhaps they'll showcase what has been indicated occasionally - the LN with 'smoke' - it does appear to chuff prototypically.

Al.

I think the chuff interval is not covered by a simple reprogramming. We have been here before. I get the opinion Hornby consider TTS is meant for a market where nobody notices that much, which is further endorsed by the fact that Hornby only factory fit it to models in the Railroad range.

Hi Colin, I agree with nearly all of what you say.

The LN is most definitely not a Railroad locomotive, so there should be a better effort.

As you say, we have discussed this before, but for me, a premium on a premium model needs to be worth it - this would drive me nuts!!

Al.

Loading that one off TTS replacement decoder for LN was not a typical production event.

The brief sequence showed Chris appearing to load the sound module and then clip It onto a regular decoder, when the sound module is actually soldered onto the basic decoder as seen in any of the TTS decoder product pages.

The chuff synch as explained many times can only be matched exactly by way of a trigger like wheel sensing, spoke counting, etc, else it is best matched on the bench from the many sound byte chops played in ascending sequence - the more bytes you have the better you can match chuff to revs but the more memory it takes and the finer the interlace has to be.

The example shown in the steam unit in episode one was triggering the smoke chuffs using the sound chuffs (think disco sound to lights) using likely a development decoder and it probably had mismatched chuffs to wheel revs but no one was looking at that, but watching the smoke instead.

I must admit I never check the "chuff" rate, I suppose I should do it with my Zimo sound modules to see if they get it right. I know on LokSound decoders there is a CV to do it. In my case as long as it makes a noise and the whistle is correct I am not that bothered. I assume to do it properly you would need a 2D map of chuff speed against motor back emf, but that would be so dependant on the motor that it would probably need changing.

I started to watch episodes of this over here in the US, as a couple people uploaded them to YouTube (I can't see them any other way due to geoblocking!)

So far, I'm really enjoying it overall, in that it's showing what goes into developing and designing a new item (including adding the water-based smoke unit, which I've seen in battery-operated train sets for a while now!)

I'm about 50/50 on the spotlight segments on modellers, with some being nice to see and others evoking a bit of a cringe from me. For those who think Sam's segment was a step down, you should see more of his YouTube channel (I ended up unsubscribing, in that he's kind of lost the idea of the fun model trains should be and has become a little snobbish, on top of his experiments like running an electric train through a pool of water)

But overall, it's a good series so far. Loving the looks at Airfix and Corgi so far as well! Although I'm in the US, my family's old hobby shop had lots of Airfix kits (which my dad always recommended to customers), Corgi die-cast and Hornby trains!

Tonight's trailer has Jenny Kirk building an upside down railway - not looking good if this is the series trend.

Edit - on the program she says it is unique and has never been done before, but both the stationary loco illusion on a carousel and a proper upside down layout have been done. The carousel is often seen as a Xmas tree toy. The inverted layout ran a whole train not just one bodged loco.

I've been following Richard's videos on his Everard channel for years. He is an excellent presenter that makes his videos interesting. Unlike too many others I could mention. If you look back at his video posting history, there is a whole episode devoted to the cars and their automation.

@colin

As the program was recorded some time earlier this year it is likely that the new config HST is still sitting in the queue for production i.e. on that pre-order list with variable dates we keep referring to. Will it be released in various liveries as there are a couple on that list.

If yours doesn’t have the new coupling then it won’t have the twin speakers that we saw either. I didn’t take notice of if the cad drawings showed the decoder as well as the speakers. At the beginning in the project meeting SK spoke about we already have the decoders and the new sound - what does that mean - as they already have the HST with MTU and Valenta engines. Will the HST be factory fitted with sound or just pre-fitted with a speaker.

I am wondering if we are looking at the wrong model, doing it to the "Railroad" model would make more sense, there is a bigger market out there and more room inside the loco. We know that of late Hornby only seems to like to add sound to "Railroad" models. I wonder about the sounds, I assume the TTS decoders have a memory limit, as they have nowhere near the capability of say a Zimo or LokSound, so there must be a limit on what you can do with them.

The upsite down model was ridiculous, but you have to applaud the work she put into it, Sadly looking at the previews we have more of that to come from "Sams Trains".

Tonight's trailer has Jenny Kirk building an upside down railway - not looking good if this is the series trend.

Edit - on the program she says it is unique and has never been done before, but both the stationary loco illusion on a carousel and a proper upside down layout have been done. The carousel is often seen as a Xmas tree toy. The inverted layout ran a whole train not just one bodged loco.

Indeed. Over here in the US, about an hour from where I live, there was a man who had a Christmas museum, and one room was a huge train room. In the middle, above a huge G Gauge layout, he made an O Gauge loco and cars running upside down with an upside down Christmas tree in the middle of that. I saw that about 6 or so years ago, and he opened the museum quite a bit before that.

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m not really a fan of these Sam features. I know he’s quite popular in the train world, I’ve watched several videos myself, but his segments aren’t really anything to do with Hornby, other than he’s using Hornby trains. He’s just sort of messing around and trying odd (in my opinion) things.

I’m just not sure why Hornby felt the need to add such things to a show that was supposed to be about… Hornby.

Hi DA, I am not sure how much input Hornby had to do with the show, or contents.When the show was proposed there was a contact number to ring the production company who were making the series, I have forgotten their name. I rang them stating that I had been Hornby collector for 30 plus years, and probably had one of the largest Hornby locomotive collections in the UK.Left the message on a answer machine they did not even reply!

Well it was interesting last night, but didn't catch that something special, other than 'Hornby Magazine's' layout - that's pretty nice.

Next week hinted at 2007 P2 Prince of Wales - that's one I'd call a bit more special ... and yes, it also indicated Sam's train pull .... a bit silly but interesting nevertheless.

Al.

Interesting in that the Hornby Mag Editor was fitting an oil burning smoker and not being privy to the new water-based unit.

I saw nothing special last night and the Sams Trains teaser is putting me off next weeks episode. I would much rather have seen New Lads collection on there.

Not much about Scalex or Corgi yet so I suppose they will be wrapping the series up.