Difficulty with fish plates

roythegrass

I'm replacing some points on my layout. I'm finding that removing old and fitting new fish plates very difficult - it's as if they've been welded on! Trying to slide a plate on in-situ track rail results in the plate being burred/damaged without moving. Having watched several tutorials on youtube they all show fish plates sliding on with just finger pressure. Where am I going wrong? Thanks.

Roy

Sliding plates on in situ track can be difficult. Squeeze the fishplate with a pair of long nose pliers, and push it on. Pulling them out you can also use the pliers. The problem you will get doing that is that they can then become loose and not conduct electricity properly. Squeeze the fishplates into shape with long nose pliers.

Hope this helps.

XYZ

Easier to practice this on a couple of bits of scrap track on the bench before getting to grips with it in-situ the layout.

I use side cutters to grip a fishplate along its length for removal. This gets a good grip without distortion.

One end of a Hornby fishplate has a turnover which locates against a slight burr in a set track piece - look under the rail to see it.

A fishplate can be eased open a tad with a small flat bladed screwdriver to slacken it before fitting into a slide along scenario.

Fit the loosened fishplate flat end first to the rail that doesn’t have the location burr then slide it back into place on the other rail using the turnover as a lever point for your screwdriver.

Once assembled tighten the fishplate by pressing down on the sprung sides with the screwdriver.

The YTube videos may not be Hornby Track. Fishplates slide more easily on PECO track which I suspect is used by more YTube modellers.

You may well find that the fishplates are welded or brazed on. I have some anonymous track bought second hand at a train fair and the fishplates have a small hole in the bottom, flat, section and are welded/brazed to the track through the hole. Brute force was the only way to get them off. Cutting out a section of track and grafting in a new piece may well be the only way forward. Good luck with your repair.