Hornby Elite delayed again

DarkRedCape

Well RDS he supposedly contacted Hornby to get it transferred. When I activated it on the Hornby website it didn't give an error. I know that is how I have done it in the past with similar packages that I used in my old job. It doesn't matter that much, I won't be using it, I just wanted to see how difficult it was to use. I only use the Elite to program locos, the Railmaster and two accessary modules came with the Elite when I bought it broken off EBay.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well RDS he supposedly contacted Hornby to get it transferred. When I activated it on the Hornby website it didn't give an error. I know that is how I have done it in the past with similar packages that I used in my old job. It doesn't matter that much, I won't be using it, I just wanted to see how difficult it was to use. I only use the Elite to program locos, the Railmaster and two accessary modules came with the Elite when I bought it broken off EBay.

Actually got it all working, running my Duchess along a piece of test track. Definitely a big issue with USB comms between Elite and PC, it takes many attempts of pulling out wires as per instructions to get it to work, but once it connects it does work. So I must have a valid license.

Hard to understand in this day and age why most DCC controllers look like something from the early 1990s with a single black LCD display with little more than the ability to display a few numbers. It was one of the reasons I went for a Digitrax Zephyr Express (along with Loconet) with a colour display that did not look 30 years old. Hard to understand why even this at £200 is high when you can buy a touch screen tablet for a lot less. I guess it’s down to manufacturing volume.

Just don’t trust a single company such as Hornby were a DCC controller is a small part of their business to drop it should it become unworkable, still have my Zero One stuff in the attic from the 1980s. There is a whole world of model railways out there and a product aimed at just one manufactures items to me is a bad idea. Hornby would have been much better to develop DCC products under a separate name and, wait for it, for once accept that there are other manufactures products it must support and work with too.

Yes AndyMac you have hit the nail exactly on the head. I used to develop stuff like this, admittedly it was CAN on vehicle networks, but very similar. Yes the menus the display, all that we used to do 20 to 30 years ago. That is why I went for the DigiKeijs a pod that works with a PC more the way things work now, which you can also control with your phone or pad.

• 4 months later...

My system is solely app based, I sold the hand controller without attempting to use it.

To be able to control ten running locos identified all from photos on the app and quickly selected with a swipe of the finger on the latest 10" samsung tablet with a stunning display, rather than having to punch in two or four digit codes to controll more than two locos, is without doubt my greatest investment.

I went from a select controller to this, and nearly went with the Elite.

From comments I've read on this forum it's clearly a much loved and effective device, but I'm so glad I didn't go the elite route.

Swimming against the tide, is usually more difficult. I could not be happier with my best of both world, Railmaster, Elite and select walkabout operation. The last thing I want is some iPad like machine messing with my trains. Each to their own, but little fingers, be it family or invited children, like to twiddle knobs. Like to hold their controller, knowing it’s not likely to break ifdropped. I have 4 selects now, and 3 Elites, 2 totally spare ,in drawer, as back ups. I can’t fault the Elite, programs on the main, when necessary, and is simple to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Well Hornby are advertising it on their site for £329, it is no wonder Hattons wouldn't honour the original price. Mind you I was in the Lego shop yesterday, Hornby's prices seem bargain basement compared to those of Lego (a Lego Eiffel Tower at £500).

• 3 weeks later...

Well I never thought I’d see the day. Just got an email from Hornby saying my pre-order for my Elite has come in and it’s on it’s way.

It’s actually in stock on the website too.

The reply I got from the eBay seller on the Elites.

Hello there,

Thank you for your query.

Apologies for any confusion regarding this listing. We rely solely on the information that the manufacturer directly provides to eBay and we directly match barcodes of the products we sell to the listing information on their database.

On this occasion, it looks as though the manufacturer has not included enough details to accurately address your query.

However, please be assured that if you do with to proceed with an order, our 30-day return policy gives our customers the necessary guarantee to return the product if it does not meet your expectations.

We are really sorry that we are unable to offer any further information regarding this and we sincerely apologise for not being more specific. 

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to come back to us and we will do our best to assist. 

Kind regards,

Moeka

Customer Care Team

Rarewaves”

@96RAF - That's 1pence more than I paid direct from Hornby with my CC discount.

More Ebay sellers that apparently have "more than 10 available" at a similar price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314307797650

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364101719544

Still no new ones over at Hattons though. Maybe they aren't getting any, or their delivery just hasn't arrived yet.

I think Hattons had a spat with Hornby when they were told that they would not be getting access to new models and having to mail all their customers that they could not meet their preoders. I dread to think how many customers they lost over that.