new Hornby Platinum jubilee loco has arrived pictures

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the photograph Christopher and welcome to the forum.

I may just point out that all images are held for moderation so your identical posts after this one have been removed. Moderation usually happens fairly swiftly.

R-

Can't say I am a fan of the purple livery but there is an historical precedent for it. For one of Victoria's jubilees ( I forget which) the LNWR turned out one of Webb's compound "double singles" in purple and cream. I can't begin to imagine how the cleaners coped with it.

I did wonder as I had not seen any posts from the UK. The interesting point is though Hornby can pull all the stops out when they have to. So why is the 9F, P2 and a host of other locos not given the same treatment. I suppose there is the point that many of those will be on "pre order" price from Hornby over 2 years ago, so they won't be making that much profit on those.

Your Hornby-Dublo loco Dorchester stands comparison extremely well considering it was made 60 rather than 40 years ago. I have to say I, too, prefer the BR green livery.

More like 65 as it's 3 rail, which gave way to 2 rail in 1959.

Agreed, the 2-rail system was launched in 1959 but my recollection is that 3-rail was not stopped until 1964. The two systems ran side-by-side for a few years with 2-rail locos being allocated product numbers in the 22xx series and 3-rail items being renumbered in to the 32xx series such as EDL18 becoming 3218. New identities for 3-rail locos were introduced as late as 1961 and both 2- and 3-rail versions of the West Country not appearing until that year with the 2250/3250 LMR emu following in 1962.

@christopher

Moderator Note:

It is in your own interest to have a unique user name. 

Could you please select ‘My Account’ towards the top right hand corner of your screen, then Community and choose a nickname in the ‘My Profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. We had hoped a Forum change was coming to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name. This request together with some other information for new posters is contained in a thread at the top of the General Discussion section called ‘Information for new members registering for the Forum’

Agreed, the 2-rail system was launched in 1959 but my recollection is that 3-rail was not stopped until 1964. The two systems ran side-by-side for a few years with 2-rail locos being allocated product numbers in the 22xx series and 3-rail items being renumbered in to the 32xx series such as EDL18 becoming 3218. New identities for 3-rail locos were introduced as late as 1961 and both 2- and 3-rail versions of the West Country not appearing until that year with the 2250/3250 LMR emu following in 1962.

Ah, thanks, I didn't know that. I thought 3 rail stopped when 2 rail started. I was only 10 at the time and had no interest in 3 rail as it didn't seem very realistic, track-wise that is.

Fantastic looking loco. I really love the colour and next to the Dublo it really highlights how drab BR locos were. I wish more heritage railways would brighten up their locos. There is no need to be stuck in the past. Pearlescent BRG would look great on so many locos.

I dumped OO 35 years ago and only slipped up once for the Capt. Tom 66. I was sooooo close with this model. If only it was in HO...........