General Discussion about TT:120

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Folk may moan about the pricing but the production costs of a TT loco versus an 00 loco is very little, essentially a bit less bulk of materials. All other costs are similar, e.g. design and development, tooling, packaging, marketing, etc. Compare 00 prices with N Gauge.

I think Hornby has taken a brave step in the right direction, given there is no one manufacturer of the scale outwith the EU that does the whole system.

Keep an eye out for smaller support services to jump on the band wagon, e.g. Metcalfe card kits, and other computer manufactured goods like figures, etc where re-scaling is the click of a button.

TT scale is a good idea if you live in a bungalow and have not really got room. Hornby's new TT:120 scale will enable many new modellers to take up the hobby whereas previously they would not have had space.

My scenario exactly. R-

A terrific idea.

I only wish they'd have done this many years back when I used to lay out everything for a few days and then had to lift it because it was too big.

I'm only talking about 15 or so years but at least it's here and it could be very big. Time will tell.

The whole project should, in time, receive a big thumbs up.

Now, do I sell all my OO stock and invest in this as a lot of locos being presented are in my remit or do I stick to OO? Or do I go TT and display the former? Or do I go scream in a padded room because this could be a bit of a dilemma?

Anyway, all looks quite promising.

I love how it all looks! Having always been fascinated by TT (here in the US, TT had a period of being fairly popular, with some beautiful items being available) I may give it a try.

I'm a collector/operator of any gauge anyway, so I'm looking forward to it!

Hopefully Hornby will ship to Australia? I struggle with N scale (50 something with deteriorating eye sight), so would love to try a TT set.

I was just thinking of that as well! I hope they ship worldwide, as these look to be website exclusives so far.

Hopefully Hornby will ship to Australia? I struggle with N scale (50 something with deteriorating eye sight), so would love to try a TT set.

I was just thinking of that as well! I hope they ship worldwide, as these look to be website exclusives so far.

I can’t see why not. Their club membership mentions ROW pricing after the free registration period, which it is hoped they will correct to allow ROW free registration.

This is amazing, hearing Simon Kohler talking about this new range, he's really passionate about it and I wish them all the best.

It is important to remember, however, that this is not aimed at the majority of us forum members who are already OO modellers. So before we get a bunch of comments dismissing this as a frivolous endeavour, please remember this is aimed primarily at families and people who haven't space for a OO layout. And that is the best part about it - it takes up less space than OO, but less fiddly than N.

The choice of locos is perfect for starting off this range; classic well-known engines that someone with the smallest interest will know about and can learn from leading to interest into less-common classes. One nit-pick is I think they should have a steam tank engine and a modern multiple unit, then there's something for most beginners.

All in all, I'm rather excited for this. No I won't be changing from OO, but I am confident this will be a good thing for the hobby.

To encourage folks my side of the channel, which they will need if they are to compete with other makes, the postage will need to be very keenly priced, as , since Brexit, buying anything from uk, incurs heavy customs costs. I have had to stop buying from uk, almost totally, due to these ridiculous charges. List of locos, makes attractive reading, and compares well with its european counterparts. We must hope for attractive marketing.

Mod edit: Thanks for this. We will flag it to Hornby. R-

I can’t see why not. Their club membership mentions ROW pricing after the free registration period, which it is hoped they will correct to allow ROW free registration.

I was able to get a ROW free membership. I started to register and realized it was UK only. When I removed that from my cart, it came up with other similar items, which had the ROW free club membership.

Mod edit: Good to know Ed, thanks for posting. R-

Triang originally made a TT range to a slightly larger scale of 3mm to the foot. This was known as TT3 and is now defunct.

Commercial support for the brand-new British outline TT:120 was first introduced by Peco in June 2022. It has a scale of 2.54mm to the foot or one tenth of an inch to the foot and uses 12mm gauge track, just like the TT scale used both in the USA and continental Europe. Hornby released details of its forthcoming new range of TT:120 on 10th October 2022. 2 Train sets are initially being offered with 4 series of locomotives and rolling stock available.

It is important that you do not confuse this modern TT:120 brand new British outline TT with the old Triang TT which has different couplings and wheel standards.

You can download a PDF of the planned TT product range at this link.

Brochure and Guides :: Hornby Hobbies

The conclusion I have come to after studying this is that the planned range is focused on TT versions of the current OO gauge scene. I think it would make the TT range more interesting if it included things that have not been released as OO gauge models. What do you think?