Select and Stay Alive (stalling over points)

CorbyDave

Hi all. I have a neglected layout which is powered by a Select unit. I am having a few stalling problems on some of the insulfrog points. I am very reluctant to lift any of the track and was hoping that a stay alive decoder might help. I intend to purchase new locos and they would all be 060 tank locos. If this is worth doing can anyone recommend suitable decoders and stay alive components. I will be updating my Select unit to the latest firmware. Regards, Dave

Mod note - title amended to better reflect the problem.

One tip that has been very useful regarding stalling on Points is to ensure they are perfectly flat, particularly for 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 Loco's. I have added an extra track pin right in the centre of the Point. A 1mm hole needs to be drilled in the sleeper to prevent it from cracking.

The other thing of course is to ensure that the track is perfectly clean. I find that IPA is as good as anything for cleaning, both the track and the Loco wheels. Also ensure that the pick-ups on the Loco wheels are in good condition but be very careful with them because they can be very delicate.

The Select Firmware version will not in my opinion, make any difference.

Have a read of FAQ2 in the "DCC FAQ Index" sticky.

Hornby do not currently make any decoders with factory prepared stay alive capability. But some other brands of decoder do. The FAQ2 shows what is involved to add stay alive to decoders that are NOT factory stay alive prepared and also gives information on components that can be used.

Thanks for your responses. I clean with Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) or did you mean something like Greene King IPA?!!!!

As far as I can tell all my points are level, I think maybe my locos are past their best.

I thought I read somewhere that the latest firmware was more compatible with a greater number of decoders.

Dave

I thought I read somewhere that the latest firmware was more compatible with a greater number of decoders.

Current Hornby controller firmware is tested to ensure it works with as many new decoders of all makes as possible up to the release date of that firmware revision, so in that respect you are correct. However time marches on an new decoders are issued but as long as these are NMRA compliant they should be fine.

I second DS comments.

I struggle on Hornby Points as well with specially Class 08's.

1. Hornby Class 08 TTS model runs fine on Hornby points R8072/8073.
  2. Hornby Class 08 with traction tyres on the middle wheels occasionally (not regularly) struggle.
  3. Hornby Class 08 DCC fitted model with no traction tyres on middle wheels, brand new wheels fitted from Lendons of Cardiff. Have Hornby 4 pin decoder R7242, on straight tracks runs lovely, but most of the times struggles. As soon I clean the track with isopropyl, things improves. Not trouble free but far better.

So my suggestion keep your track clean, keep wheels clean and build a little speed when going over the points. Obviously you need to have flat and secure track in the first place.

https://fb.watch/gx_Iv4DLLg/

Please if I am not allowed to share this video, delete it. But it was interesting to see stay alive fitted already and how it worked.

Roads and Rails installed in LaisDCC Kung Fu Stay Alive in this loco and when they lifted the Loco from Track, wheels were still spinning for few seconds.

https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/products/laisdcc-kung-fu-stay-alive-870007

RDS Mod Note: No problem at all with that video, Thanks for sharing

I was looking for something else and I came accross stay Alive kit from ebay which comes in 2 form:

STAY ALIVE ONLY KIT FOR £14.45 PLUS POSTAGE IN VARIOUS SIZE CABLES AND PCB

DECODER AND STAY ALIVE COMPLETE KIT FOR £25.45 PLUS POSTAGE

JUST BE AWARE THIS STAY ALIVE KIT WILL ONLY WORK WITH NEWER LAISDCC 87 VERSION DECODER.

REGARDS

I have a stay alive on test, which has three 1F supercaps in series (=1/3F), with a several other components in circuit and that will run a loco across a yard of track that has been insulation taped over. It definitely doesn’t stall on points.

I have to watch it when my bridge is open as it simply ignores the isolated safety section.

If the sound is playing I can lift it off track and the sound will continue for a good minute, so you have to be careful to allow it to deplete if working on an open chassis.

The charging circuitry is such that it does not come into play initially until the loco is moving and this avoids any problems when programming. Not something I would want to cobble together.

Not available to buy yet so don’t ask.

What sound decoder are you testing this with?

As I said - Not available to buy yet so don’t ask - nor is the decoder, but as it is widely known on the forum I test future Hornby kit you should be able to work it out.

• 1 month later...

Hi. A quick update on my original post. I gave my layout a good clean and checked that all the points are level. Also oiled, greased and cleaned the two working locos. Much improved, but still prone to stalling. Finally bit the bullet and purchased a loco with stay alive. Wow, I’m blown away, never done so much shunting in my life! I’m so impressed that I’ve asked Santa for another loco.

Merry Christmas to you all, Dave

What loco/stay alive is it?

I have bought all the components to make some of my own stay alives. I may get some time to try this over the next couple of weeks. I have quite a number of different DCC Concepts stay alives sitting around also. I have just serviced my Hornby LMS Jinty 0-6-0 to use as a test bed. I need to service my Stanier LMS 2-6-4 tank also as I have a Zimo sound decoder to fit in it & it doesn't have great pickups.

The stay alive is an ESU power pack, with a Lokpilot 5 decoder. I wasn’t brave enough to do it myself! If I lift the loco off the track it runs for about 7 seconds! Not sure if I’m allowed to say what loco, it’s not Hornby (it’s an 0-6-0 tank loco)