Reconstructing a t9

Ande P

Hi folks, come around to rebuilding this Hornby t9 r2829 that had completely disintegrated with mazak. Peters Spares supplied a new chassis block and I was hoping to avoid the motor mount but might have to get that aswell but first,couple of questions if anyone can help guide.

1. The frong bogie has a cap on the spindle where the spring goes that means I can't get it onto the new chassis frame... It makes sense it's there once on the chassis and so I imagined it would simply pop off... Any experience with this?

2. Rewiring pointers? Do the central pickups on the t9 locos main wheels connect directly to the motor? it appears the front bogie and tender pickup into a PCB. Someone got one of these and can guide me on the correct wiring please as Hornby have no detail online, and I'm not blessed with seeing it when it wasn't a pile of bits.

Cheers

I would have thought the securing washer/collar on the bogie pivot pin would have been removeable to permit relatively easy separation of the bogie from the chassis block but the service sheet (333) is not a great deal of help as it illustrates just the spring and a plain pivot pin. However, an illustration of the X9948 bogie pack on Peters Spares website shows a separate collar.

As the loco is supplied DCC-ready with a decoder socket in the tender, all the pick-ups and motor would only be connected via that socket, not direct as this would damage any decoder fitted.

Yeh I saw that on peters Spares... weird. I wonder if previous owners superglued it on. It only came off before due to the disintegration :)

Ah, so that is just to power the DCC decoder in the tender and serves no other purpose then?

If not, I'll go and connect the pickups directly to the motor then.

I have a newer T9 and removed the front bogie a week or so ago.

On mine the cap on the top of the spindle is actually a donut shaped plastic collar that is slightly elastic and grips the top of the spindle - relatively easy to remove a right pain to re-assemble (although I did eventually manage it)

I have a newer T9 and removed the front bogie a week or so ago.

On mine the cap on the top of the spindle is actually a donut shaped plastic collar that is slightly elastic and grips the top of the spindle - relatively easy to remove a right pain to re-assemble (although I did eventually manage it)

I've tried twizzers, brute force and all but its not budging. So frustrating.. maybe I'll try soaking in IPA... It's oddly fun solving these issues but mildly annoying at the same time laughing

The 4-wire plug/socket arrangement taking power between the loco and the tender is made up of 2 wires taking power from all the loco pick-ups to the DCC decoder socket where they also link with feeds from the tender pick-ups, and 2 wires returning power from the DCC socket back to the motor (the only connections to the motor).

I think this is similar to the Schools class. It's quite poor design really.

So here's a picture of the progress I made last night, using the new chassis from peters Spares. Fair price I thought. I've disconnected the wire from the tender and resoldered the motor. Although I got the wire colours muddled with the bogie oneszipper_mouth_face Instead I'll have black to red on each connection... Some logic in there somewhere... Doh!

Notice that I'm trying to use IPA to free up the cap from the bogie, it's not working well.. any tips? I've tried tugging with pliers but felt like the whole stem would break off instead. Only thing I can think of is to file it down until it goes on, but then what do I use to secure it?

forum_image_63a2e32b2c905.thumb.png.3928fbfb4cb0862abf64f7a8c29de34a.png

@Ande P

I took the body off my T9 to have a look - the attached shots show the top of the bogie mount.

The bit that is removable is the clear (slightly white) collar that is sitting on the top of the plastic peg/spindle. On my model the collar just pulls off the black peg, but as the hole in the collar is significantly smaller then the black peg itself, it is very difficult to get it back on (hopefully I never have to take it off ever again)

Note: There is a loose fitting brass washer underneath the collar that is easy to remove once the collar is removed.

forum_image_63a2f545e81f1.thumb.png.653f6d9f999385832f63ff31826fb04f.png

forum_image_63a2f54e17626.thumb.png.b5439a90dc6baed55ab5abb767c94c05.png

RDS Mod Note

@5Dublo2

Colin, You have been a member of this Forum for long enough to know that pictures do not appear straight away. I have approved your picture and deleted the 3 duplicates.

Please just press 'Post Reply' once!

Thanks

Thanks Colin, I need to find something that dissolves super glue I think the previous owner has decided they would never need to service the loco 😜... Only other option I have is going to be to file away enough to get it through and then maybe fashion up a similar piece to the brass on yours. Which model is yours? I have to say, the build quality and general design of the workings of this loco are pretty poor, looks great on top but really that bogie connection didn't need to be like that, and the way the pickups were placed were always going to end in issues with servicing. Anyway. Nearly got her done. I'll wait until after Xmas. Have a good one.

Ande

• 2 weeks later...

--Update-- "photo to come"

• I managed to remove the spindle cap ring from the front bogie and get it reattached the_horns

I used a pair of clippers to take off one corner of the ring as the IPA soak did little to remove the pesky thing; I basically got bored and decided to break it off and find an alternative cap using an old pinion gear or something.

Luckily for me, the cap ring on this R2829 was actually metal; so when I clipped it I now have a partial ring that actually fits nicely back on to prevent the bogie from falling out. Hoorah!!

• I've had to re-solder everything!! face_with_rolling_eyes

This is one fiddly model!! my soldering iron and solder are cheap and so this was a really painful experience. all wires eventually fell off the pickups as I was handling it; including the ones on the front bogie which are tiny. I've now re-soldered it all and removed the PCB that was in place opting to connect everything direct to the motor. All tested and working beautifully.

• trying to find alternative to buying the motor housing...

I really do not want to buy a spare; I which there was a replacement for this. Surely Hornby have replacements... apparently not! only option appears to be the brass one from a well known spares shop. Does anyone have any bright ideas to fashion one? I was thinking maybe a few sheets of thin plastic could suffice; and hold the gear in place but I would have to glue it and the motor which would make life hard if I needed to service my dodgy soldering.

cheers

A

@ Ande P - Please do not keep posting duplicate images. If you can see the note at the top of the screen when you have submitted something it has gone successfully and we will get to it as soon as we can. R-

Hey Roger, yeh I know about that, wasn't done on purpose. Oddly enough it seemed like nothing happened when I hit submit, and eventually it said submitted successfully the second time.

Back to my loco tho. A fine job so far I think. Any advice out there on alternatives to the motor mount appreciated 👍