Do Stock Alerts Ever Work?

TT-Man

Hi TT-Man 👋

This question belongs better in the "Forum and Website Feedback" section, at least to me.

Your question isn't about TT at all. While the Stock Alerts you set up may have been for TT items, your question is really about the Hornby web site performance.

I am interested in your question, and I too would like to hear an answer to this. It just seems out of place in this area.

Bee

To experiment with this, I went to one of my pre-orders. In recent communication with Hornby, they tell me it should be arriving at Hornby soon. Hooray!! I will get it soon! I'm happy.

I also just now requested a Stock Alert for that item. I've checked, and under my account, it shows this alert. Hornby's website says I will be notified when this item "is back in stock".

Okay, it never was in stock. So, my first dilemma is one of definitions. Must the item come into stock, and then go out of stock, and then come "back in stock" for the alert to be triggered?? That is, since it was never in stock, how can the item come back in to stock?

Hopefully, more data will follow shortly. If Hornby charges my card and ships the item, WITHOUT A STOCK ALERT, then the alert really doesn't function as a user would expect. If I do get the alert ...

Bee

I think it may be a TT:120 issue for me. I have never received any TT:120 related emails that others regularly report on this forum. I have checked my account details several times and there is no apparent reason why that should be the case. I do get emails from Hornby about everything other than TT. Maybe they are trying to tell me I am supporting the wrong scale? joy

I think as the TT120 range is almost entirely pre order (some bits are now available) it’s more a TT120 issue than other products so being in TT120 forum seems appropriate to me and I would imagine it’s the place other TT120 customers would look.

I have never had a TT120 stock alert although nothing I want is close to arriving, I did get update emails though on buildings as those orders arrived and were being prepared for dispatch.

Here is an identical issue with stock alerts for a Hornby Dublo

Hornby Dublo and Stock Alerts

An interesting comment by 5Dublo2, when that correspondent states

###

I am kind of wondering if stock alerts only get triggered when something is actually in stock ( and also not already reserved for a pre-order the day it arrives in stock )

If correct then an item that has not yet been released becomes available to pre-order it won't trigger a stock alerts as it was never in stock

###

You will note that 5Dublo2 is also using definitions to rationalize the apparent shortfall. Just as I attempted, albeit with a different rationalization. There will be no use in contacting Hornby, as prior querries about the processing flag and the unavailable status have resulted in nice sounding replies from Hornby that essentially mean "we have to look into that". These web pages have been around only since 2019, when the new CEO demanded a complete revamp and freshening of the Hornby web presence. This always introduces unforeseen bugs. It takes time to sort these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is another correspondent that says "No stock alerts"

TT:120 and Stock Alerts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I would be astonished if Hornby has a unique silo of code that deals strictly with TT:120. That is, a stock alert is a stock alert, be it for Hornby Dublo or TT:120. The request by one of us for a stock alert, for any bit of kit, executes the exact same software. Why stock alerts are not triggered is not isolated to TT:120. It failed on Hornby Dublo as well. It will likely fail when my item comes into stock, an Era 1 bit of OO rolling stock.

I suppose one likes to think that Hornby are giving TT:120 the red carpet and ushering it through these pages with alacrity. Truth is that TT:120 is a product just like any other here, albeit a different scale. It will experience the same system wide issues that other products do.

Bee

I had/have stock alerts for all the track pieces. Yesterday I received 1 alert for the right hand points - the only one I have ever received. Lots of track pieces have been available for weeks prior to the points being released. Still no other alerts. All in all a pointless feature.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hmmmmm. Fishplates showing out of stock on the listings page. But click on the item they're showing as in stock and available to order.

Another overlooked update/change on the sales website?