HM7000 System

M. Matthews

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a response from Hornby Technical Services regarding short circuit protection when a P9100 PSU is wired directly to the track to power a HM7000 system (raised earlier in this thread).

"The P9100 power supply is specifically designed to deal with any short-circuits to ensure that your decoders are not damaged. If a short occurs, a simple reset of the mains power will have the Bluetooth system come back online within 10 seconds." 

The app still has to go out for UAT as previously advised. I am sure if any of that select group are on here they will chirp up when they get hold of the kit.

Will do, although we may need some guidelines on what we may or may not comment on prior to the official launch Rob.

Mod note - that will be has been so advised Steve.

My iPad Air is at v12.5.7 so well within the lower cut off limit for the device of >v11.0, but although the app installs, it crashes on load and that is what they are sorting.

The app works fine on my later iPad Pro at v16.3.

It could be as simple as the Apple compiler as I have had similar iPad Air crashes on a few apps and the feedback I got from What3Words developers was that they reverted to the old compiler pending Apple sorting out a well known problem. I fed this info back to Hik-Vision and they sorted their cctv app out as well. Apparently Apple will say they are fixing something but never give a date - sounds familiar.

Both the phones in our house are Samsung, but I have other makes in a drawer somewhere.

I have a Samsung S2 which is also on the list (circa 2019 Andriod 7.0). Given the sheer number of Samsung devices listed, it appears that there is something fundamental in Samsungs hardware and/or BT implementations that causes an issue compared to other brands. I'm not too concerned about this, as I currently have no inclination to convert/replace my Railmaster & Elite to/with BT & APP control.

Blue tooth aside, the interesting part of this is that the new decoders can be downloaded with a choice of sound files. Although I have found Hornby sound decoders to be very good sound wise, they can't be reused or changed. Despite their greater cost I use ESU sound decoders because you can create your own sound files - they are much more versatile.

I wonder if that is possible with the new decoders? If not then I am sure Hornby have a library of realistic original sounds.

A smart move by Hornby, the app is free, but their decoders are much more attractive regardless of your method of control.

Although you can wipe and reload the 7000 series decoders you cannot amend the actual sound files for content, however the selection of sounds is realistic and where an example exists they have been recorded, else library files have been used, so I am not sure what additional sounds you might need.

There are always other options, but as stated already I have found Hornby sounds quite adequate and the ability of the 7000 series to change sound files makes them a lot more attractive.

Experimenting with and creating your own sound files adds another dimension to the hobby to those so inclined.

• 1 month later...

Re the HM7040 Bluetooth legacy Dongle

I have spent a lot of money on Digitrax and don't wish to just throw this needlessly away

Yet I love the concept of Hornby HM7000

It is very disappointing it seems this Dongle is not going to support the Digitrax LocoNet communication protocol ?

1/ Is this correct?

2/ Is there any Xpressnet > Loconet convertor that will allow the dongle to control my Digitrax controller?

3/ What about other Bluetooth>Loconet control devices?

Thanks

Nobody is suggesting that existing DCC users should throw away their controllers. There is nothing preventing you from either:

• using your existing controller with existing decoders & the new HM7000 ones as well.

• using your existing controller with existing decoders & the app with the new HM7000 decoders.

The dongle is simply to enable the app to control non-Bluetooth decoders, it is natural that Hornby is making it compatible with their own controllers initially. Whether they subsequently make it compatible with other manufacturers’ equipment will depend entirely on technology/financial decisions.

Sure I know that, but this misses the point of the entire reason you would have a dongle in the first place.

We well know two different DCC controllers can not be run on the same layout, so that negates a simple solution - like a simple DCC Xpressnet interface piggybacking onto the layout.

By allowing the new app to effectively take control of an existing DCC controller, you basically have all chips/locomotives (HM7000 and non HM7000) listed and controllable (to some extent) within the app

Without this, the setup is less than adequate. The end user is left flip flopping between app and physical hardware, for control of locomotives, and other functions, lighting etc.

Then there is the issue of future add on features, like Bluetooth enabled point control etc...

That dongle is the key to giving Hornby full integration of the layout and control of it in it's entirety, and must support all legacy NMRA DCC communication protocols - otherwise full uptake of bluetooth and the app will not occur and Hornby will (yet again) not "own" control of the layout...

I suppose the dongle could be made to support all the stuff the linked device supports but then the price would likely be the same if not more than that device.

Given the device has a PC interface does that not negate your flip-flop protest as this is another screen to look at.

I would view the app as a walkabout controller adding value to your existing DCC setup.

96RAF

Could I just say thank you for you patience answering the endless repetitive questions, hissy fits because the answer you give does not meet individual needs and misunderstandings from everyone myself included.

It has helped me understand what is going on and the possibilities and I am sure many others. I would have lost my cool many weeks ago.

Mike