What did you receive today?

South Coast Flyer

This arrived yesterday from a German retailer. I wasn't going to buy a Duchess but this analogue version was selling for ā‚¬149,20 (approx Ā£125) plusĀ ā‚¬9,90 p&p so it seemed too good to turn down at that price (although Bure Valley Models seem to be selling them for Ā£131 + Ā£5 p&p which works out about the same if anyone is wavering).

Era 5 is my favourite era for steam locos so that was my excuse for buying it although now I'll need some coaching stock to go with itĀ - maybe not such a bargain after all!Ā šŸ¤”

I ordered a pack of three Tillig 20 foot containers at the same time to see what they're like. The printing is every bit as fine as you would hope and I was surprised to find that they had opening doors (which I wasn't expecting) although they're a bit loose so I might need to apply a dab of glue (or tackywax or similar) to the 'hinges' to stop them opening so easily.

The Duchess as been run in on a loop of Tillig bedding track on DC and the coal load has been removed ready for fitting an HM7000 chip, although space looks tight for getting it into the tender. Thanks to @Peachy Ā for the tip about the pre-fitted speaker - that will save me a lot unnecessary dismantling (and probably swearing!).

2024-09-11_3DuchessofAbercorn.thumb.jpg.68c4ef0e9be7fa2af0c095e63d92f4df.jpg

2024-09-11_4containers.thumb.jpg.3ef8919fc1d46fa225a6f8a3ba6321ad.jpg

• Like 3

My TXS Sound Duchess of Abercorn that I absolutely wasn't going to buy but pre-ordered then cancelled then re pre-ordered for added discount arrived yesterday. Just need an hour free to open her and play!

Edited by StuLarge
  • Like 3

On 31/08/2024 at 09:30, Ilmson said:

šŸ˜…Ā I have so many locomotives from so many different countries that the damage has already been done.

You are not the only oneĀ  lol..Ā  guilty of thatĀ  too.Ā  šŸ˜ƒšŸ˜ƒšŸšž

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Porfuera said:

This arrived yesterday from a German retailer. I wasn't going to buy a Duchess but this analogue version was selling for ā‚¬149,20 (approx Ā£125) plusĀ ā‚¬9,90 p&p so it seemed too good to turn down at that price (although Bure Valley Models seem to be selling them for Ā£131 + Ā£5 p&p which works out about the same if anyone is wavering).

Era 5 is my favourite era for steam locos so that was my excuse for buying it although now I'll need some coaching stock to go with itĀ - maybe not such a bargain after all!Ā šŸ¤”

I ordered a pack of three Tillig 20 foot containers at the same time to see what they're like. The printing is every bit as fine as you would hope and I was surprised to find that they had opening doors (which I wasn't expecting) although they're a bit loose so I might need to apply a dab of glue (or tackywax or similar) to the 'hinges' to stop them opening so easily.

The Duchess as been run in on a loop of Tillig bedding track on DC and the coal load has been removed ready for fitting an HM7000 chip, although space looks tight for getting it into the tender. Thanks to @Peachy Ā for the tip about the pre-fitted speaker - that will save me a lot unnecessary dismantling (and probably swearing!).

2024-09-11_3DuchessofAbercorn.thumb.jpg.68c4ef0e9be7fa2af0c095e63d92f4df.jpg

2024-09-11_4containers.thumb.jpg.3ef8919fc1d46fa225a6f8a3ba6321ad.jpg

The containers look very good.Ā  Nice touch that the doors can be opened/closed

The Duchess looks super too.

• Like 1

Thanks to the current discount and points to spend, 3 x Mk 2 coaches. With a lot of historic licence and as I already have Sir Edward, this is how they will run:

IMG_4446.thumb.jpeg.31e88aad87fb258fb4decfb76b510446.jpeg

To me, 4 carriage trains look about right on the planned layout but this is a start. The Mk2's look great. I see they come with magnetic couplings which I have not fitted yet. I might stick with West Hill Wagon Works. Do we need a table of what works with the different carriage designs? I have not been keeping up with all the discussion.

• Like 1

I am a bit puzzled by the lack of consistency between how the different carriage types are supplied. The Pullmans look reasonable as-is. My Mk1's benefited from the West Hill WW Extra Close magnetics. The Mk2's look good as-is but I will fit the Hornby magnetics thanks to @Rallymatt's recommendation. The Stanier 57' coaches could do with being a bit closer together but WWWW Extra Close is too close (even on 4th radius the buffers lock) and that suggests the Hornby magnetics would be too close too(?).

I don't want to exaggerate the problem - out of the box they all look good to me. As I am making the space for 4th radius I thought I might as well look for the optimum coupling options.

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 1

I have fitted the Hornby magnetic couplings between the Mk2 coaches and I found the result very impressive. They run fine around my 4th radius oval. Very pleased with the whole deal.

Thoroughly recommended.

IMG_4447.thumb.jpeg.d85a83619616a4dfdbdedd5c66dd77d1.jpeg

Edited by dBerriff
  • Like 7