HM 7000 Android App availability

Brush 47

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a growing pile of redundant iPads of various ages stuck at certain un-updatable revision states, that work fine but there are fewer and fewer things for them to work properly with. Apple’s way of keeping you broke.

I had a great Windows phone that was driven out of use by diminishing number of apps to work with.

I have no doubt Android works under a similar economic strategy, hence the Hornby genetic - if it’s more than 5 years old it may work but we can’t guarantee it.

The simple way to check is to attempt to download and install the app when made generally available. Then report back to Hornby if it works or not on that particular model. Such data will be invaluable and there may even be a simple tweak available to get it to work.

For the record, I’ve just today updated my iPad Pro (2016) with the latest IOS 16.4.1 and everything is working perfectly with the HM_DCC App.

I’m Apple through and through, not least because I’ve heard of so many problems with Android devices and Android Apps from friends that use them.

I’m no expert, but there does seem to be a plethora of possible permutations for things to go wrong with Android Apps.

I certainly sympathise with the Hornby development team trying to find a stable solution.

I would contend that the outcry from the community would be even greater if, when launched, the Android App does not work !

Sorry yes, wasn’t correcting you but just highlighting that the device’s software was already 3 years old when you bought it.

That's why it was so cheap when I bought it. Retailer obviously clearing out old stock.

It is disappointing that it seems that Android hardware seems to be already software obsolete from day one. In that updated Android OS software won't run on older hardware, unlike Apple updated IOS on Apple hardware does.

Any update as to when the hm dcc app will be available for android phones, even a response from hornby that it's with the developers,Google, or whatever, it's just good customer service to keep customers informed as to what stage and time this will be, I for one are happy to wait but just need that's communication of what's happening good or bad

Any update as to when the hm dcc app will be available for android phones, even a response from hornby that it's with the developers,Google, or whatever, it's just good customer service to keep customers informed as to what stage and time this will be, I for one are happy to wait but just need that's communication of what's happening good or bad

The developers wrote it, so it remains with them for fettling as required on-going, even once released.

The pre-release app is being tested by the extended test team by way of a Play-Store side door for developers to release beta copies for testing.

When it is considered fit to be released to gen-pop it will be.

For those planning to and waiting to use the android app on their phone and who haven’t got an android tablet.

The app will work with Apple ios16. The earliest iPad tablet which will run ios16 is the 5th generation model which can be picked up on eBay for as little as £100. This is the basic standard WiFi tablet and not the air model. If it is preloaded with ios16 all the better. On the tablet the app is full screen so it will be easier to use than on a phone.

For those who are impatient to get going with Bluetooth operation this is a way forward and of course the tablet can be used for other purposes.

What I don’t know of course is whether the you would be able to use HM7000 settings set up with an Apple iPad tablet and subsequently download the data into the app on an android phone when the android app eventually appears.

Once a sound and running profil has been downloaded it resides on the decoder, same as any personalised CV settings are lodged on a regular DCC decoder.

Once the Masons’ handshake has been performed to free the decoder from one device, then mount it to another device, the option is given to import those settings into the app, thus populating all the buttons, etc.

The app will work as far back as iOS 11 on a iPad Pro but not yet with iOS 12 on an iPad Air.

I've just stumbled across this thread as I have a Samsung s20 mobile which at the moment can't run the app

But I have a Samsung tablet (I can't remember the exact model number becauae it's at home and I'm not). Is there a possibility this may work?

Is there a compatibility chart somewhere ?

Thanks

Dave

Not yet Dave, but the test team are working with as many devices as they can get their hands on. Current thinking is that a minimum requirement is Android 9 or above, 4GB of RAM and released in the last 5 years.

4GB RAM is going to hurt. In the under £300 bracket It has been standard on most phones in the UK for a couple of years but 5 years ago it was 2GB or 3GB RAM. Out of 4 phones purchased in the last 2 years for family members 4GB was standard and 6GB or 8GB models were manufactured but not available in the UK. We had to order one from the Netherlands to get a 6GB model. For tablets I think the situation is even worse. Obviously for those who splash out £600 for their phones/tablets they will be fine.

4GB RAM is going to hurt. In the under £300 bracket It has been standard on most phones in the UK for a couple of years but 5 years ago it was 2GB or 3GB RAM. Out of 4 phones purchased in the last 2 years for family members 4GB was standard and 6GB or 8GB models were manufactured but not available in the UK. We had to order one from the Netherlands to get a 6GB model. For tablets I think the situation is even worse. Obviously for those who splash out £600 for their phones/tablets they will be fine.

Thanks to you both for your reply. I've check the specs of my Samsung S20 Ultra and thankfully it looks like in terms of RAM it should be ok. For my sins I've worked in IT for over 4 decades I know these things will take time and no impatience on my part will make any difference :)

As I said, current thinking says 4GB, testing may reveal something different.

As for comments on price, I am testing it on a Lenovo M8 which was less than £120 on Amazon last month.

So far, so good and I will also be testing on a couple of Samsung phones, one oldish, one new.

Not yet Dave, but the test team are working with as many devices as they can get their hands on. Current thinking is that a minimum requirement is Android 9 or above, 4GB of RAM and released in the last 5 years.

All of which the S20 and S21 can do. Yet it still listed as incompatible.

All of which the S20 and S21 can do. Yet it still listed as incompatible.

It looks like Samsung is trying to make Galaxy a separate OS, so its a bit like Apple and you get all the apps through the Galaxy store. I suspect we'll see that in the next few years.

…Hornby isn't that big…

@barry - I assure you that Hornby is big enough that the decision makers are NOT personally developing the app (& equally the developers are NOT making the decisions about release schedules).

They don't have to be. We're not talking some behemoth company with thousands of employees spread over dozens of sites. It's what about 200 employees (an SME is defined as less than 250) on one site.

If the app developer or the product development team can't feed back to the Board the information to allow them to make an informed decision on an important product launch then that is a problem (NOT an excuse).