Decoder chips burning out (or not) ?

Rio-x69

Let us not from forget, 'carpet boy' has previous for not using approved power supplies - remember trying to max out a loco's speed by putting ever greater voltages into it and blowing every fuse in the house?

In his video he admitted that he did not read the instructions and did not use an approved power supply - the decoder had no chance.

He is a liability to the hobby, but these days we are expected by some, to disbelieve the experts and put out trust in idiots like him.

He is not the only person to experience this. Here is another example

BTW just for the record I don't share the view of Sam's Trains being unreliable. May not be popular among this group but we all have our opinions

I have had a long discussion with him and another couple of other nay-sayers on FB. They are heck bent on a total recall of the decoders until the box labelling and incorrect instructions are changed. Not living in the real world.

Ditto about Sam. If he told me the sun was shining in the tropics, I would fly out there to check.

If you want reliable and honest reviews try Little Wicket and Jenny Kirk. Go check out her last Monday Club.

Until we get some stats about failures, my opinion is that any blown up decoders have been due to use of the wrong type of DC power i.e. unsuitable analogue controller via the regulated speed output. Current Hornby advice is not to use an analogue controller, but until Hornby finds a way of promulgating that to the wider world these drum beaters will continue to play the same song.

I see no reason for the decoder to burn out.

I too saw the Sam's Trains review and decided to park "his problems" under "his problems" not a general problem.

I prefer other channels for honest reviews. I some times get the feeling that Sam is looking for problems to mention - especially regarding Hornby. I agree that Little Wicket and Jenny are better reviewers.

Thank you very much all for your comments. That’s really good news for me. I follow both little Wicket and Jenny as well.

Was a little worried as my options for returning a faulty decoder is limited as I live at the end of the world (last outpost before “there be dragons” 😊)

Also, I noticed that the manual specifies that you have to use the Digital Power Clip (or track) for your connection to the layout running HM 7000.

It does not, however, specify why. I noticed that the power track that comes in (at least the TT:120) starter sets causes a short in the decoder when used with HM 7000. I tested this with a Märklin Central Station 3, but it also triggered the short circuit detection in the Hornby analogue controller.

Normally it will not cause shorts, only extremely unreliable digital control due to the supressor built into the feeder. There is definitely something going on when using that clip.

I removed the clip and everything worked flawlessly, including the Hornby analogue controller that came with the starter set. No short circuit detection.

By no means a scientific experiment, just an observation.

HST, that sounds more like a bent terminal inside the connector on the power track and the two strips are touching. If the button is not depressed when inserting the pins, enough force can distort the connector strips inside. DCC should not be wired via a DC power track connector because there are components inside to comply with radio wave interference regulations that can distort a DCC signal sent through the track.

DCC should not be wired via a DC power track connector because there are components inside to comply with radio wave interference regulations that can distort a DCC signal sent through the track.

That I know.

I thought about the other thing, but it did not happen unless the HM 7000 loco was on the track. Without it, no problems at all. I will look into your suggestion anyway, I might have missed something.

Let us not from forget, 'carpet boy' has previous for not using approved power supplies - remember trying to max out a loco's speed by putting ever greater voltages into it and blowing every fuse in the house?
In his video he admitted that he did not read the instructions and did not use an approved power supply - the decoder had no chance.
He is a liability to the hobby, but these days we are expected by some, to disbelieve the experts and put out trust in idiots like him.

In general Sam's trains Videos are very good, not many other videos analyse the slow running and design of the motor drive etc, calling him an idiot is not deserved.

Youtubers (like all social media) produce content to attract an audience. Who each person enjoys watching is entirely subjective and not particularly relevant to this thread.

The particular criticisms of Sam that are relevant to this thread are using the HM7000 decoders without reading instructions & (on a separate occasion - unconnected to decoders) using a power supply at voltages that exceed the maximum ratings for the motors used. Both of these activities are very definitely not recommended (unwise) and anyone copying them is highly likely to cause damage to their models.

In both instances Sam has admitted/declared that he is doing so at his own risk and is not recommending anyone copy him. However (whilst it is good that he is advising his audience not to follow his example) these actions are unwise and criticism of such is legitimate.

Obviously general criticism of him as a person IS unhelpful & irrelevant!

If you watch the Sam’s train review of HM DCC, listen to his comments regarding the firmware update, ‘Oh, I thought these were meant to be new!’

I don’t think I have ever had a piece of ‘tech’ that hasn’t needed an update immediately to the latest version. Having paid more attention to what he says and does, I wouldn’t trust him to sit the right way round on a toilet.

Jenny Kirk and Little Wicket clearly know their stuff, as for most of the others, I come here for HM DCC guidance because it based on experience and qualification.

If you watch the Sam’s train review of HM DCC, listen to his comments regarding the firmware update, ‘Oh, I thought these were meant to be new!’
I don’t think I have ever had a piece of ‘tech’ that hasn’t needed an update immediately to the latest version. Having paid more attention to what he says and does, I wouldn’t trust him to sit the right way round on a toilet.
Jenny Kirk and Little Wicket clearly know their stuff, as for most of the others, I come here for HM DCC guidance because it based on experience and qualification.

Another person that needs to calm down on the criticism of Sam.

I was surprised about his comment about the firmware upgrade as well, but in general can't you see the appeal of his videos? Especially with younger viewers? Your toilet comment is a bit pathetic.

He is not the only person to experience this. Here is another example

BTW just for the record I don't share the view of Sam's Trains being unreliable. May not be popular among this group but we all have our opinions

I have had a long discussion with him and another couple of other nay-sayers on FB. They are heck bent on a total recall of the decoders until the box labelling and incorrect instructions are changed. Not living in the real world.
Ditto about Sam. If he told me the sun was shining in the tropics, I would fly out there to check.
If you want reliable and honest reviews try Little Wicket and Jenny Kirk. Go check out her last Monday Club.
Until we get some stats about failures, my opinion is that any blown up decoders have been due to use of the wrong type of DC power i.e. unsuitable analogue controller via the regulated speed output. Current Hornby advice is not to use an analogue controller, but until Hornby finds a way of promulgating that to the wider world these drum beaters will continue to play the same song.

I know this isn’t really a debate the merits of YouTubers forum but anyway….I totally understand the frustration of the “Hornby family “ with some of the things Sam says and does. Blundering through the HM:DCC install was not his finest hour. However on the initial TT120 review he was positive at first and his TT120 is not on the carpet. I love Jenny but she sometimes seems a little too in love with Hornby!

If Hornby really didn’t test Gaugemaster controllers that does seem a bit of a gap considering they are the controller of choice for serious DC modellers. Still two documented failures does not constitute a significant issue

Sam makes me smile.

In the HM7000 video he actually says “I don’t know what I’m doing” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyway.

I’ve got a lovely DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha power supply, 18v, 5amp hooked up directly to my bus wire.

Their tech has a reputation I think of being pretty bullet proof, this should be fine for HM7000 right?

I’ve got a lovely DCC Concepts Cobalt Alpha power supply, 18v, 5amp hooked up directly to my bus wire.
Their tech has a reputation I think of being pretty bullet proof, this should be fine for HM7000 right?

A certain more reliable ‘influencer’ on the extended test team uses an Alpha 5A supply (with an NCE PowerCab for DCC control) without any problems.

Rob,

I know this is a Hornby Forum, but do I gather from your comments above that you’d very much recommend the DCC Cobalt Alpha Power Supply?

I’m currently using the Hornby 15V-4A power pack into the digital track clip (R.8241) on a very simple test layout (one complete circuit with some sidings inside), but plan to start to build a large(ish) layout and want to be sure I fit the best power supply I can afford.

thanks

Rob,
I know this is a Hornby Forum, but do I gather from your comments above that you’d very much recommend the DCC Cobalt Alpha Power Supply?
I’m currently using the Hornby 15V-4A power pack into the digital track clip (R.8241) on a very simple test layout (one complete circuit with some sidings inside), but plan to start to build a large(ish) layout and want to be sure I fit the best power supply I can afford.
thanks

I wasn’t recommending any particular power supply I was just saying someone else has used one applying that power to the track through a DCC controller and they had not had any problems. The 18 volt output of the Alpha unit is within the decoder allowable voltage thus it makes sense that it could be used direct.

If in doubt ask HM.customercare @hornby.com directly if you can use it.

My reasonably extensive layout fills a single garage and relies upon a single Hornby 4-amp supply via an Elite with as many as 15 DCC sound locos standing on track and a few running I have not had any power shortage.

In the event you did run out of power with a single 4-amp unit you could look at power districts bearing in mind you only gain advantage from this if your loco traffic is dispersed amongst them. It’s no good having power districts if all your traffic is clumped into one.