Fishplates to join Hornby track to Peco track.

RB51

Based on the fact that Peco and Hornby track are compatible and bearing in mind that the Hornby version TT8036 is currently out of stock and disappears at a rapid rate when it comes back, I wondered how folk were getting on joining them together? The fishplates I got from Hattons, which are allegedly for TT, N and 009 are a nightmare to put on. They must be for TT100 stock. R-

The Hornby TT rail has a wider foot than the Peco code 55 rail so the Peco joiners won't work.

Peco rail's foot is thicker so it needs a bit of force to open out a Hornby joiner so that it fits. I'm not totally convinced this is the best option.

Going through my stores:

Other brands of N gauge track joiners (eg. Fleischmann, Minitrix) are mostly too tall and clash with the "middle T" of the Peco code 55 rail. I had this problem when integrating a Fleischmann N turntable with Peco N code 55 track. I had to grind away some of the middle T section to allow Fleischmann joiners to fit.

Peco OO joiners would fit both rail types but are just too big and bulky.

The best fit I have at present are old Wrenn OO joiners which slide nicely onto the Hornby rail and also the Peco rail - though they're a little loose and would need a squeeze with pliers.

I have Tillig 85501 which are code 83 and darkened to match rails rather than silver.

Got them from DCCconcepts, still in stock but cost a bit more than the shiny ones.

They aren't listed as TT on their site, but they are on the Tilig site.

Fit perfectly on Hornby track, not tried Peco.

Tillig 85501 Rail Joiners (Blackened Metal) HO/HOe/HOm (dccconcepts.com)

85501 - Tillig Modellbahnen

(Don't mind sharing, got all I need)

To be honest neither brand is an easy fit. The Hornby ones are easier in that they definitely suit the slightly wider Peco rail profile…… a little better ……… but still require a good push. Be careful if joining up points. I was holding one so firmly I managed to dislodge one of the blades. Managed to fit it back though. If Hornby made unifrog points I’d have stayed with those. Much easier. R-

RogerB wrote:
The Hornby ones are easier in that they definitely suit the slightly wider Peco rail profile…… a little better ……… but still require a good push.

Actually it's the Hornby rail which has the wider foot which is why Peco joiners definitely won't fit. The problem with the Hornby TT fishplates on Peco code 55 is the special "middle T" section of the profile which gets in the way of some other brands of fishplate (eg. HornbyTT, Fleischmann N, Minitrix N etc.)

Yes, that’s what I’m trying to say. The wider Hornby fishplates will fit the Peco track at a push, but the Peco ones are almost impossible to get onto Hornby track, and not that easy to get onto Peco either.

My earlier post now edited.

R-