What happened to good manners?

Topcat2018

Hi LT&SR_NSE

I think that moderating is a hard job and further that the lads do it well. But that has little to do with my suggestion.

I simply cannot understand why Hornby goes through all the effort to create a forum for enthusiasts without participating, even peripherally, in it. It seems like a miss to me. When someone writes in with a genuine complaint, first they have to know to look for a response (no notification) and then if they do manage to find a response, they read that they have wasted their time. Why? Incomprehensibly, Hornby doesn't participate in their own forum. That person then needs to write the same message again, only this time to an email address. To the same customer service representative who could have seen it here.

This has little to do with the moderators, except that the moderators may have to write the email saying 'please contact customercare@hornby.com Hornby doesn't monitor these pages' instead of one of us saying it.

This is just my thought. No one is obligated to do anything with it. Except if I win PowerBall tomorrow!

Bee

@bee - I agree with the value to Hornby proposed in your suggestion. Equally however the mods (and this forum generally) do provide Hornby with the first level of customer service (for free). Every person that can be helped or signposted to existing information, is one less person contacting Hornby directly.

Only those seeking warranty support, or specific proprietary information, are advised to contact customer service. I agree that this may increase timescales/frustration for some customers, but it also reduces the workload of employees.

The provision of a ‘floating’ live chat bubble on screen has been proposed and whilst not rejected outwith, it wasn’t seen as necessary given the adequate 1st aid a punter gets from the forum and existing customer services.

As stated the forum points folk to available info and if necessary beyond to the support desk for real hardware solutions.

A future web-site and forum iteration is aimed at a more direct user experience where the company and the audience are better interfaced. Hard to describe but Hornby say it is intended to be more immersive and interactive with a broader forum, user blogs, user club areas (not the existing commercial collectors clubs), etc. All to be tried and tested by your friendly cheap labour force.

The provision of a ‘floating’ live chat bubble on screen has been proposed and whilst not rejected outwith, it wasn’t seen as necessary given the adequate 1st aid a punter gets from the forum and existing customer services.

As stated the forum points folk to available info and if necessary beyond to the support desk for real hardware solutions.

A future web-site and forum iteration is aimed at a more direct user experience where the company and the audience are better interfaced. Hard to describe but Hornby say it is intended to be more immersive and interactive with a broader forum, user blogs, user club areas (not the existing commercial collectors clubs), etc. All to be tried and tested by your friendly cheap labour force.

the last time they changed set up, everything was lost. All informative quality posts from clever people, all went. I would hate same to happen today. If it aint broke..........

That’s the problem, it is broke.

Interesting. I started using this forum a few years ago when I started my first layout, I was frankly amazed by the help & support offered. In every case I would always thank or acknowledge any reply - I did have to be careful from some users about posting a thank you and overwhelming the system, but in the main it was all good. I have not had any need to post since - but coming back with a new query I am again grateful for the help and have thanked those who replied. I do agree with the comments about thinking you are talking to Hornby staff though. Other forums I use have also had issues about general manners - I think it is just a sign of the times.

I did caution one member against thanking everyone and his dog years ago as he thanked them all individually for their post regardless of if it was he that had asked the question. There were pages of them on multiple topics. Sensible good manners is encouraged. As often seen - thank you to all those who answered my question, the matter was resolved by …xyz.